• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In Game Chat USF vs Houston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I remember that missed Chucky FT at Marquette very well.  I was so depressed the next day at work.  And that was just the NIT.

When winning, there is nothing better than post season basketball.

God how I remember that. I lived in Philly and was already making train reservations. That miss was the epitome of USF basketball 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

14 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

And its Dayton.  No knock on Dayton, i know they have some basketball tradition.  But big picture doesnt Tampa and the AAC have a higher ceiling than Dayton freaking Ohio.

Maybe im over estimating our potential.

I was going to say we can't even hold Dayton's jock, but that's still not fair to either of us.

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 hours ago, JTrue said:

I was going to say we can't even hold Dayton's jock, but that's still not fair to either of us.

I know that we don't right now, but I'm talking more about CBG's potential ceiling with USF.  Isn't that the gist of the argument here.  

Maybe we don't have that ceiling.  I know Basketball is a completely different from College Football and the small schools like Gonzaga can make huge names for themselves, while other big schools toil in mediocrity....I guess that is us until it is not.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

6 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Paschal was a long time ago, but would argue he needs to be near the top of the list for best MBB coaches in USF history. To get an at-large bid at 19-9 and in the Metro in 1992 was impressive. I believe that team was the clsest we've seen a USF MBB team being ranked when they were the first team out of the AP Poll after beating Iowa. I remeber the USA Today article headline reading "Little South Florida...".

He honestly gets overlooked and is definitely at or near the top of that list. I had forgotten that run and how tough of a basketball conference the Metro was ...

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I know that we don't right now, but I'm talking more about CBG's potential ceiling with USF.  Isn't that the gist of the argument here.  

Maybe we don't have that ceiling.  I know Basketball is a completely different from College Football and the small schools like Gonzaga can make huge names for themselves, while other big schools toil in mediocrity....I guess that is us until it is not.

No. I don't think CBG's ceiling with us is higher than 7th. I am 100% confident that there isn't a single person on this board who will ever live to see USF men's basketball ranked 7th in the country.

Guest Jonesy Bull
27 minutes ago, JTrue said:

No. I don't think CBG's ceiling with us is higher than 7th. I am 100% confident that there isn't a single person on this board who will ever live to see USF men's basketball ranked 7th in the country.

Maybe this is true.  But its easier IMO, to build and become a Top 25 Basketball team then it is in College Football considering the landscape.  And we have been Top 25 in Football.

If a team like Dayton can be that highly ranked, and he helped build that Dayton program (maybe not most recently, but he had a hand in what they are now by getting them to so many NCAA and NIT berths).  Then I don't understand why would CBG's ceiling be so much lower here?  Is it because we are having a down year?  People sure weren't saying this last year when he took us to the biggest turnaround in one season in the entire NCAAs......but now all of a sudden his Ceiling is so low.   

You can't have it both ways guys!

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Maybe this is true.  But its easier IMO, to build and become a Top 25 Basketball team then it is in College Football considering the landscape.  And we have been Top 25 in Football.

If a team like Dayton can be that highly ranked, and he helped build that Dayton program (maybe not most recently, but he had a hand in what they are now by getting them to so many NCAA and NIT berths).  Then I don't understand why would CBG's ceiling be so much lower here?  Is it because we are having a down year?  People sure weren't saying this last year when he took us to the biggest turnaround in one season in the entire NCAAs......but now all of a sudden his Ceiling is so low.   

You can't have it both ways guys!

Show me one example of a person claiming CBG was getting us into the top 10.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 minute ago, JTrue said:

Show me one example of a person claiming CBG was getting us into the top 10.

I didn't say anything in my Quote about Top 10.

I'm not referring to you specifically.  Sorry if you took that by my quoting you.  My response is more based on people on this board over-reacting to CBG's ceiling being low because of one disappointing season.  Its hilarious to me, because those same people were singing his praises last year when he turned us around so dramatically, and most likely will do the exact same thing next year if he turns us into an NIT or god forbid NCAA team.

Its just the nature of fandom, I guess most of us are reactionary to the moment.

Guest Jonesy Bull
13 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

His ceiling is low - not based on this season - but on his last 13 seasons. He consistently been unable to field a team that can finish in the upper half of whatever conference he has been in.

This season just reinforces it. Gregory shouldn't be fired but I'm off the band wagon.

Ok you have made your point.

And its legitamite if he is not been as consistent in being in top half of conference every year.

I still think the sample size is too small here to say his ceiling is low.  Time will tell.  Either way he is definately an upgrade from what we have had here recently.  If he doesnt get it done in the next couple years then MK has proven that he will pull the trigger.  And so far appears to have made good choices in his hires.

I just dont think we can judge him completely here on this year as we are handicapped.  I know you are going several years back.  But that doesnt really matter to me. From what he does from here on out does.

He did well last year.  He deseves a couple more years to see what he can do.  I still have faith in him at this point.