• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

But is it actually wrong?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Following the NCAA basketball scandal, and in particular what happened with Bill Self and Kansas this week, I ask: 

Is it actually wrong for the families, as well as players, to seek payments for signing with a specific school?

If this was the NBA, any European league, or frankly any professional league or business in general, we would not. Salary and compensation is part and parcel of attracting high quality talent to any business. 

Payments influencing basketball players to sign with a specific NCAA team are illegal. yet if I signed a $50,000 signing bonus to work for Deloitte and Touche, Delta, or the Denver Broncos, it would merely be seen as them recognizing my value as an employee. WHY is it allowed in one industry, but not another? Or is it simply the NCAA on a power trip?

The charge against Kansas is "lack of institutional control". Control over what? Young men who are legally adults? Since when were adults something that needed to be controlled? This isn't Mississippi in 1850. It's the 21st Century. 

The charge of Bill Self is "head coach responsibility". Implying that by ensuring his players were financially secure, Bill Self was irresponsible. 

That said, I can see the other side of things too, and it's a worthy discussion IMO. 

In favor of allowing players to get payments from third parties for signing with schools

Obeys the laws of the free market. 

Could decrease the cost of student athletes to a program since the athletic program isn't footing the entire bill

Gives them their first state of independence as an adult, with responsible, mature adults who in many cases have achieved some significant degree of personal fame and financial success to guide them. 

Increases inter-team competition since everyone will work harder to start so they can gain visibility for marketing contracts. 

Relieves athletic departments of a significant portion of their compliance burden, reducing costs. 

In favor of keeping it as it is

Prevents the playing field from being even more lopsided; teams in power 5 conferences will have a lot bigger donors (especially businesses) who can pay more than teams in the G5. Could also make this argument in urban schools vs college towns (favors urban schools). 

Signing third party endorsement contracts could be a distraction from school, practice, and games, a schedule which is already heavy and difficult as it is. 

Could create resentment between teammates because one player has more endorsement deals and money than another. 

Agency problem-a star student-athlete who has a lot of big local marketing contracts could gain power over the athletic program because of the power of those businesses and their monetary importance to a college sports program. 

Major apparel companies will essentially gain power over college athletic programs, pushing student-athletes to where they will provide the best ROI for the company, rather than what would be best for the student athlete and their lives as a whole. 

I would love to hear your views! Just so mine are out there, I am in favor of letting student athletes sign marketing contracts with companies as long as that company is not in competition with a program sponsor. For example, if Jordan McCloud wanted to sign a deal with Pepsi, it shouldn't be allowed since USF works with Coca-Cola, but if he wanted to sign a deal with Burger King, it's okay since they don't compete head to head with Hooters. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Simple answer - IT IS THE RULE.

I'm not saying the rule is right or wrong, I am saying simply that they broke the rules.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

The way we do Men's Basketball and Football is ridiculous that we even involve college athletics. It is a sham to say these are "amateur athletes" in school to get an education. 

Baseball, Hockey, Soccer.....if you want to go to college great. You can earn your degree and still do great things at the professional level. However, if you want to play "professionally" immediately....why are we stopping them. 

Oh I know, money. The schools make money and the networks make money.  If you let Amateur athletics actually be just that....no one wants to watch. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We DEFINITELY do the money making sports all wrong. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457

The idea of a free market for high school athletes should scare all of us. 

When the Big Ten and SEC all offer volleyball players $100,000 signing bonuses in cash, we won't be very competitive. 

I am all for increasing the benefits to student athletes, but completely unregulated is scary and will widen the gap between the haves and have nots. 

Now at least the kids can consider things other than cash. Like if the school has a lazy river for them to soak in. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

The NFL needs a minor league system similar to MLB where the best players from high school would go straight there. I believe college athletes should actually be in college to earn a degree, not make the university $. The level of competition would go down a little in football/basketball, but 99% of college athletes aren't going pro. The major P5 programs would hate this idea, but for most universities it wouldn't make much of a difference. 

Worry not about what people are willing to pay 17 year olds. The people with money get burned enough the market strategy will adjust. 

I just find it disingenuous to say, 

"We pay them with a scholarship." Meanwhile, everyone around is making serious cash off of these "student athletes". 

The current system for the money sports sucks. For the rest of the sports it is not very good either. 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2014/07/18/ole-miss-bo-wallace-unlimited-meals-stipend

Edited by DELdaBull
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I am all for increasing the benefits to student athletes, but completely unregulated is scary and will widen the gap between the haves and have nots. 

Without regulations we might as well stop playing all sports...we'd never be able to compete. 

2 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

The current system for the money sports sucks. For the rest of the sports it is not very good either. 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2014/07/18/ole-miss-bo-wallace-unlimited-meals-stipend

All student athletes should have their food, room and board, books and tuition paid for by the university. 

At many universities and colleges the cafeteria closes early on Sunday. That makes the meals part difficult even if they get a full meal plan.