• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

But is it actually wrong?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

They just need to force the NBA and NFL to set up minor league systems like MLB does and most of these problems would be solved but as long as colleges will do it, the NBA and NFL won't change anything

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

The infra-structure to create a minor leagues for Basketball is somewhat in place. You get rid of the one and done and let them sign at 18, you have AAU leagues, the NBA G League and all of the Overseas Leagues, I think you could reduce the corruption in college basketball. 

Football. I don't see it changing. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

Simple answer - IT IS THE RULE.

I'm not saying the rule is right or wrong, I am saying simply that they broke the rules.

That argument has been used time and time again by the ruling classes of the world through history. Rules are not and should not be the guidance on whether something is right or wrong. 

If Congress woke up tomorrow and made a law banning US permanent residents from working any job but food service in a fast food restaurant and requiring compliance in the form of monthly testimonials signed by their boss, would such a rule be moral? 

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

The idea of a free market for high school athletes should scare all of us. 

When the Big Ten and SEC all offer volleyball players $100,000 signing bonuses in cash, we won't be very competitive. 

I am all for increasing the benefits to student athletes, but completely unregulated is scary and will widen the gap between the haves and have nots. 

Now at least the kids can consider things other than cash. Like if the school has a lazy river for them to soak in. 

I see your point. 

Would it change if such a benefit was capped? 

Also, how do you feel about allowing the students to sign their own marketing deals? 

1 hour ago, bullsfan27 said:

They just need to force the NBA and NFL to set up minor league systems like MLB does and most of these problems would be solved but as long as colleges will do it, the NBA and NFL won't change anything

The interesting thing I see about this, is that most players good enough to be a 1 and done in college basketball could also go play abroad and start making money immediately, and there's nothing the NCAA or NBA could do to stop that. 

I don't see the system going away, because both colleges and the pro leagues have something to gain by requiring football players to wait three years (or 1 year for basketball) to be signed in their respective pro leagues. So the question is more about how we change it-especially in football. The top 50-100 basketball players graduating from high school in 2020 could deal a significant blow to NCAA basketball by announcing that they signed with a European team. The NBA might even prefer someone who decided to show maturity by taking care of business as a pro in Europe for a year. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

31 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

That argument has been used time and time again by the ruling classes of the world through history. Rules are not and should not be the guidance on whether something is right or wrong. 

If Congress woke up tomorrow and made a law banning US permanent residents from working any job but food service in a fast food restaurant and requiring compliance in the form of monthly testimonials signed by their boss, would such a rule be moral? 

Life is ruled by those that make the rules. Simple FACT. Doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong. 

If Congress woke up tomorrow and acted would be some sort of miracle in itself. But, using your analogy, I guess we would all be serving the immigrants and aliens in the Country.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

27 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

I see your point. 

Would it change if such a benefit was capped? 

Also, how do you feel about allowing the students to sign their own marketing deals? 

Capped benefit that doesn't destroy competition is fine with me. Something like each student athlete can receive: scholarship that covers: room, board, tuition, book, full cost of attending. Then on top of that, up to $1,000 a month "salary". 

As for marketing deals, that just screams out a chance for corruption. I am willing to do something like this: College athletes have an optional opportunity to sign over their name and likeness to a firm to license things like NCAA Football video games (to make them like Madden, where you see names of players), the firm can only grant rights for players who chose to sign up. Then lets say EA sports pays $5 million for the right to use player images and names in their video game. That money is divided between all the division 1 players who signed up to allow their names to be used. With no more money going to stars or players from the biggest schools. This could be done for football and men's basketball (and maybe women's basketball) ... I wish other sports would be included, but I don't think there would be any money it it. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, usf97 said:

The infra-structure to create a minor leagues for Basketball is somewhat in place. You get rid of the one and done and let them sign at 18, you have AAU leagues, the NBA G League and all of the Overseas Leagues, I think you could reduce the corruption in college basketball. 

Football. I don't see it changing. 

If I have the right person in mind...I absolutely loved those rainbow threes you made back in the days.  Mid 90's at USF were great! 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

38 minutes ago, Supersurch said:

If I have the right person in mind...I absolutely loved those rainbow threes you made back in the days.  Mid 90's at USF were great! 

Reggie played from 99’- 03’. I am also a fan but no, that is not me. I graduated in 97’ and enjoyed that team also. 

He went straight into coaching and he is now at the Masters Academy in Oviedo. 

spacer.png

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,845
  • Days Won:  67

6 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

At many universities and colleges the cafeteria closes early on Sunday. That makes the meals part difficult even if they get a full meal plan. 

Wow that is tragic that they may miss one meal a week.  I had no meal plan in a dorm b/c could not afford it, a $30 microwave and a small fridge.  Spaghetti O’s, Tuna fish, cheap frozen dinners, yes I could work but still had tuition books, car ins, gas etc...I know this is look at me for walking up hill in the snow to school each way but no way we pay all student athletes and full tuition books etc..,keep it the way it is and when you cheat throw the book at them, anything else will be the end of intercollegiate sports.  if they don’t want to be BMOC then to hell with them, we will find someone else to take their place.