• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Host Shockers In Important Weekend Series

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I agree, Kelly won’t make this move, but I still don’t think Mohl’s the long term guy.

He may or may not be, but I don't think we can fire a guy in year 2 after an NCAA appearance in Year 1.  You, me, and anyone paying attention knows this team is just mediocre at best this year (and we finished around .500).   Is it a recruiting fail for Mohl?  Maybe/maybe not, but I don't think there are a bunch of coaching errors there to hang the season on.

8 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

This precisely.  Mohl has nobody in the bullpen warming up with the bases loaded and 1 out. Seems like vacation for him couldn’t come soon enough. I don’t care if we had a lot of injuries, being the only team in the conference to not make the tournament leaves me with a lot of disappointment.  

It was inexcusable. Those Florida beaches are nice this time of year. 

Who exactly was he going to in that situation?  Who exactly did he have in his pen that he could have complete confidence in to come in and shut it down?  I guess Yager maybe, but he hasn't exactly lit it up this season.

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

You’re right, but there’s little chance next year is any better if you look at the roster. It’s almost a complete rebuild.

And why is it that we are in this position?  Recruiting is huge in every college sport.....if they arent getting it done in this area then Mohl needs to go now.  I know it doesnt sense to fire a coach after one bad season.

But if recruiting is really  an issue.....then this will have a longer term effect even after he is gone.

11 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

And why is it that we are in this position?  Recruiting is huge in every college sport.....if they arent getting it done in this area then Mohl needs to go now.  I know it doesnt sense to fire a coach after one bad season.

But if recruiting is really  an issue.....then this will have a longer term effect even after he is gone.

This is Mohl's second season.  These aren't his recruits or at least they shouldn't be.  If our problem is recruiting it is more on Kingston and Current than Mohl.   Now, that doesn't mean that the last 2 classes are drastically better.

Also, out top pitchers return next year and they looked pretty good the last few weeks.  I don't think there is any reason to fire Mohl unless A.  there are underlying issues that we are not aware of  or B.  Kelly wants his own guy and has a guy in mind that is available.

I think this year is a down year whether our HC is named Mohl or KIngston unless Kingston had a stud or two up his sleeve that we lost when he bailed for USC

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I have come to the conclusion that baseball, for programs like USF, is a complete crap shoot. Too many variables determine if you get the players you want, if they turn out any good, if they leave early, etc. Thus, it is difficult to get excited before the season as anything can happen from one year to the next. I’ll just wait until the start of next year and see what occurs. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

36 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I have come to the conclusion that baseball, for programs like USF, is a complete crap shoot. Too many variables determine if you get the players you want, if they turn out any good, if they leave early, etc. Thus, it is difficult to get excited before the season as anything can happen from one year to the next. I’ll just wait until the start of next year and see what occurs. 

Once you get them on campus as freshmen you have them for 3 years.  

52 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Once you get them on campus as freshmen you have them for 3 years.  

Ahh...ok...so not like college basketball. Well that’s a positive. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

29 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Ahh...ok...so not like college basketball. Well that’s a positive. 

Baseball is really all over the map.  A kid can get recruited and signed right out of high school.  Can choose to go Juco where he can leave after year 1 or 2 (pretty sure)  Can choose a 4 year school but can't leave until after year 3.  Probably other scenarios but those are the ones I'm aware of. I'm sure others on here can correct me or add on.

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Baseball is really all over the map.  A kid can get recruited and signed right out of high school.  Can choose to go Juco where he can leave after year 1 or 2 (pretty sure)  Can choose a 4 year school but can't leave until after year 3.  Probably other scenarios but those are the ones I'm aware of. I'm sure others on here can correct me or add on.

That’s crazy...must be a difficult sport to recruit for. 

You also have far more high schoolers drafted