• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls at Houston - In Game Discussion (6:00 EST, ESPN2)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  150

image.thumb.png.274abf59cbbee80c28917b21cd462f6a.png

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  442
  • Days Won:  0

We just lost to a very good team. That program is what we strive to be ,and I think we have the coach to take us there. If healthy we can win the next four games and maybe two in the tournament. Couldn't even imagine 24 wins at the beginning of the season, but it's there for the taking.  Go Bulls.

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

If we played Houston 100 times, they'd win 100 times. We'll get there in time.

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  150

9 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

If we played Houston 100 times, they'd win 100 times. We'll get there in time.

Hard to argue with that-- they might be able to handle us with their second team alone. Guess we will find out next season-- lots of seniors on this Houston team. Houston won't exactly be sitting on their hands replacing those guys-- this will be an arms race going forward.

They are where we hope to be-- and a great example for our young guys to aspire to play like. We need a few more talented pieces to be at their level along with some additional shooting talent. I think most realistic Bulls fans understand that the last part of our season was going to be a grind against the best teams in the conference. But we have to appreciate that we have gone from bottom of the barrel the last few years to fairly respectable opponent with lots of potential going forward as they grow into complete players and as a team.

And as most of us have said-- this is at the very least much more entertaining basketball to watch. Sort of reminds me of the early years in football where we seemed to take a step forward each game/year even in the face of stronger competition. It is nice not to be the joke of the conference.

• Upvote 2

We'll see if Brian Gregory and staff can bring in what has eluded this program throughout its entire history - shooters. That's always been the missing element at USF, even on our successful teams.

• Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

58 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

We'll see if Brian Gregory and staff can bring in what has eluded this program throughout its entire history - shooters. That's always been the missing element at USF, even on our successful teams.

There are a couple of jerseys hanging up in the YC that disagree with the entire history assessment but it's definitely been a long time since we've had one of any note ....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

35 minutes ago, Triple B said:

There are a couple of jerseys hanging up in the YC that disagree with the entire history assessment but it's definitely been a long time since we've had one of any note ....

True I can count the number of class shooters who have played at USF on one hand. The problem is the really good ones are being recruited by everyone. No one is like Charlie Bradley and wants to stay home to help the home team. BG will need to work the charm. 

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

More than one on a team helps and we've never had that. Probably the closest we came was Radenko and Derek Sharp. And although Chucky, Charlie and Radenko were all great players - they weren't elite shooters. Have we ever had one? I can't remember one. I mean a guy who, when he was left open, was money in the bank. Reggie Kohn maybe but his game was so limited by his size and lack of overall athleticism. It sure feels like I've seen a lot of them in the Sun Dome over the years - wearing the opposing jersey. If Gregory can add one to the talent he already has, we've really got something going.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

More than one on a team helps and we've never had that. Probably the closest we came was Radenko and Derek Sharp. And although Chucky, Charlie and Radenko were all great players - they weren't elite shooters. Have we ever had one? I can't remember one. I mean a guy who, when he was left open, was money in the bank. Reggie Kohn maybe but his game was so limited by his size and lack of overall athleticism. It sure feels like I've seen a lot of them in the Sun Dome over the years - wearing the opposing jersey. If Gregory can add one to the talent he already has, we've really got something going.

Wait, you are saying CB was not an elite shooter? The dude led the country in scoring for almost an entire season when there was not a 3 point arc. He also didn't really have another great scorer to play off and opponents tried to take him out of the game by using a box and one against him. He still got his points and I believe he still holds the record for best scoring percentage (I could be wrong on that one).  

Your point about not have having a second great scorer on pretty much any team we have had is valid and needs to addressed for us to take the next step.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  53
  • Days Won:  1

Other than the spurts at the beginning of each half, we played Houston pretty well.  They are just too experienced and they haven't lost at home in two years.  We will have Zack Dawson next year and that should make a lot of difference.  Casatenada has progressed nicely and is playing with more confidence.  He will only get better.  Teams have adjusted to our preferred mode of driving to the basket.  Justin Brown was expected to be a three-point threat, but he just hasn't delivered except in spurts.  Lang is ok, but is a defensive liability and lacks the kind of effort we see in the other players.  So we are what we are.  Next year, we will have Zack Dawson.  He was rated as the third best shooting point guard in the country coming out of Miami and averaged 24 points a game.  And he was recruited by Arizona, Louisville, and Oklahoma State.  Hopefully, he's not a head case,With 4 good guards and Yetna  and Durr continuing to improve, we have to think we'll be a 22-25 win team.  Moreover, I anticipate that Gregory will add another recruit in the late signing period.  And the two incoming Freshman look like they can both contribute early.  Q has been off his game for the past three weeks and it has hurt.  We need him to have any chance of upsetting UCF.  When he is on top of his game, Collins is a better than average shooter.  He's playing hurt and it is unlikely we can afford to rest him