• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Not sure what to think about this

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, Corey lea said:

You are jumping around the point. This school is not in the running for the better talent of the area. No doubt it has talent, but building a roster on that principle of geography is not sound when built on rough prospects. Need to find best possible players possible. Period end of story. 

seems like it worked for Taggart quite well.

we are not going to pull any better talent from anywhere else in the country. our biggest selling point is that they can be close to home.

tell me why a similarly talented player from Georgia is going to pick us over one from Tampa? they aren't.

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

Well you got two Qb's from Georgia in the last two cycles....so they they will. 

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

Nobody is saying you take a lesser talented kid just because he's from the Bay but you......

The point is there is a TON of talent in the bay area but it's up to the coaches to go out there and sell USF to win battles against mid tier P5 teams.  If a coach can't do this they better be able to coach their ass off or they has no business being at USF.  Nobody is saying to exclusively recruit the bay area except for you, and you're just doing it to be obtuse.   If you can't win battles in the bay area you will never be successful at USF, I don't care of you're CCS, CSH, or whoever our next coach may be down the line.   There's WAAAYYYYYY too much talent in The Bay Area to just punt the territory simply because "it's hard P5 teams recruit here too".   Those battles were won before and they can be won again.....   

exactly.

look at all our best players from throughout the years and they likely came from this area.

whether they transfer back to be close to home or sign here initially.

this is a recruiting hotbed and it would be stupid not to get the majority of our roster from the 5 surrounding counties.

Just now, Corey lea said:

Well you got two Qb's from Georgia in the last two cycles....so they they will. 

I remember when Holtz signed that savior QB from Georgia....worked out real well for us.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just now, Bull94 said:

I remember when Holtz signed that savior QB from Georgia....worked out real well for us.

The most USF thing to happen would be :

• Evans moves to another position like most everyone expects
  • Battles Transfers out 
  • McCloud ends up being a diamond in the rough and is a very good QB during his time at USF, with his running ability/elusiveness being a large reason why he was successful.    

Is it spring yet?  I want to see these kids play some **** QB.  

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

The most USF thing to happen would be :

• Evans moves to another position like most everyone expects
  • Battles Transfers out 
  • McCloud ends up being a diamond in the rough and is a very good QB during his time at USF, with his running ability/elusiveness being a large reason why he was successful.    

Is it spring yet?  I want to see these kids play some **** QB.  

Actually I fault Charlie for not giving Battle or McCloud to get some snaps...although garbage snaps at the end of the year. It was obvious to me that CO and BK were not D1 talent and it showed when they played. I doubt if Evans is switched. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

5 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

Actually I fault Charlie for not giving Battle or McCloud to get some snaps...although garbage snaps at the end of the year. It was obvious to me that CO and BK were not D1 talent and it showed when they played. I doubt if Evans is switched. 

I actually agree with you there.  I would have played one of them for a few series in the bowl since it wouldn't have burned their redshirt.   Evans is the most raw of the 3 a passer (as an incoming Frosh) and is the best athlete of the 3 so he's the leading candidate to move to another spot... It won't be right away because the kid will want to compete and the coaches will want to see how he adjusts the the college game but I think a move will happen within 2 years. 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

It's not about competing with UF, FSU, Miami, Bama, Clemson, etc. for 4 & 5 star recruits from the Bay Area.

it's about keeping the 3 stars at home by convincing them they will be integral parts of the team within easy driving distance of their families as opposed to riding the bench as "depth players" for bigger name programs in places that are either a haul to drive every other weekend (Tallahassee) or aren't feasibly driveable for an afternoon of football (Alabama, S. Carolina, Ohio, Michigan).

look at USF's 2019 recruits... not a single 4 or 5 star player. they're 3 star guys. why not focus on a talent-rich area in your back yard rather than chasing 3-star guys from less talent-rich areas out of state?

there IS a recruiting budget, there are time constraints & there are only so many coaches to send out to recruit. it just makes more sense to devote that time & money to the plentiful talent within 100 miles of the campus in any direction. not saying we should IGNORE out of state talent, but the focus should be local. anything else doesn't make sense.

Ok..I'll play. 

You can find players in other areas that do not go to camps and are not being pushed by their coaches. You get in South Ga. or La. some of those kids don't have the resources to go to camps or get the exposure that the kids from Tampa may get. However, you put them in pads and they will knock your head off, run around your and throw it a country mile on the dime. The recruiting services are showing to be more bust than boom. What was the rating for CO and BK...surely not higher than a 2. 

1 minute ago, Corey lea said:

Ok..I'll play. 

You can find players in other areas that do not go to camps and are not being pushed by their coaches. You get in South Ga. or La. some of those kids don't have the resources to go to camps or get the exposure that the kids from Tampa may get. However, you put them in pads and they will knock your head off, run around your and throw it a country mile on the dime. The recruiting services are showing to be more bust than boom. What was the rating for CO and BK...surely not higher than a 2. 

now on our recruiting budget how do you suppose we find those diamond in the rough types?

like truth said above, we should be working hard to get the overlooked kids from nearby. the marlon Mack's that want to play RB and not convert to safety. the quinton Flowers who want to play qb and not DB. I believe  Flowers, Grothe, and Daniels were offered from big time schools to play different positions. Lucky for us we gave them a shot to play QB