• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should USF and UCF play every year?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Well if USF were to ever require a two for one, first we know that UCF would laugh at them.  Also, I would be in favor of UCF doing a yearly game with FAU then.

UCF-FAU rivalry does have a better ring to it.....

USF will be left out in the cold when it comes to in state rivalries.

Is that supposed to hurt our feelings??

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  684
  • Content Count:  7,642
  • Days Won:  6

With a 12 game schedule looming, I think it make sense for both schools to play every year at least for the next 4-6 years.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

We need home games.  Period.  Would I rather go on the road against you or Auburn.  I'll take the latter with a 2 for 1 against FIU, FAU or some other little sister of the poor.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  69

Why not schedule an annual series with FAU or FIU?  UCF isn't much better.  IF USF want's to seperate itself and establish itself as a national contender, than we've got to avoid this kind of series.  If you want to be considered a dominant program you have to play dominant programs on a regular basis, and win.  Lets use UCF as filler this year and focus on getting annual series games with the likes of UM, Auburn, Florida, etc.  

An annual series with UCF would give them to much crediblity, something they don't deserve.  The series would only benefit them.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i have one better, we should have been playing last  4 years

another leavitt ego driven decision

not based on facts or reason

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Why not schedule an annual series with FAU or FIU?  UCF isn't much better.

If memory serves me correctly, we've got a 2 for 1 with FIU on the books that was signed within the last year.

The UCFers fail to acknowledge how badly we need home games.  We have no choice but to acquire as many 2 for 1 contracts as possible due to the current number of football teams in the BE.  Remaining 1 for 1 contracts need to go to "name programs" in order to keep our SOS up.  Just because SOS isn't part of the BCS equation anymore doesn't mean it doesn't matter anymore.

That is reality.  A rivalry with UCF is still fiction.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,758
  • Days Won:  3

Squeeze it 'till there ain't no more juice.

I say play the game on an annual basis but ditch it when it no longer serves a purpose. I believe that for x-amount of time we have to play a CUSA team, so why not UCF?  A true rivalry is only going to form naturally....Duke x UNC, Florida - FSU, etc.  You can't arbitrarily create one, especailly at this stage of USF's development. Until such time as the Big East expands to the point where we don't have to scramble around to get IA games, this is one we should stick to.

BTW: remember Bowling Green? Didn't we have a four-game gig with them on paper? I know it got canned, but did we ever hear the thinking behind that?

Florida-Florida State was arbitrarily created.  The Florida Legislature passed a law that required the schools to play each other every year.  Florida NEVER wanted to play Florida State in the 1950s. NEVER.  If politicians didn't get in on the act, it clearly would not be the rivalry that it is today.  It became a tradition AFTER they were forced to play.  Now, I don't think either school would contemplate NOT scheduling the game.

A few people have said that "We need home games" and that is why we can't play UCF every year.

HOG-WASH!

Every year we have 7 games guaranteed.  That means we have to find FIVE teams to fill our schedule.

Recognize that we are two weeks into the 2005 season and WE STILL HAVE TWO OPEN SLOTS ON THE 2006 SCHEDULE. (UCF dosen't help there... but there are open slots in 2007, 2008, 2009, etc.)

So, the best option would be to have 8 guaranteed games every year... it's easier to schedule 4 OOC games than it is to schedule 5 OOC games...

That still leaves 4 games each year to play 2-3 big name schools and 1-2 lesser schools.  We should not play 5 OOC games against big name schools every year... UCF gives us a team that we can realistically expect to beat every year (oh, and Notre Dame has beatend Navy 41 straight times, does that mean Notre Dame shouldn't play Navy any more - because they clearly are on differeny levels?)

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Hogwash?  You ride the fact that we need five games a year, but deny the fact that 2 for 1 deals are better than a 1 for 1 with UCF?  Maybe we've just got a difference of opinion, but if you think we don't need more 2 for 1s over the next four seasons, then I think your desire for a rivalry is clouding your judgment.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

i have one better, we should have been playing last  4 years

another leavitt ego driven decision

not based on facts or reason

Smazz breaks thru the clutter with common sense again.

KL