• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong is a luckier version of Holtz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  0

Looking at this season, we lose the following games if we didn’t get the lucky break: 

GT (4Q fumble) 

Illinois (late TD was almost dropped) 

Tulsa (gw FG) 

I’ll give us the ECU win since it would have still been tied without the Cronk win.

Our real record should be 4-8 after the season. Holtz finished his second year 5-7. Holtz had a few last second losses that year that didnt break his way, in which Strong had some last second wins break his way. They are two peas in a pod as far as coaching goes, and unless the staff is shaken up, we are in for a Holtz-like 3 win season next year under Strong. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294

8 minutes ago, Hueyhog20 said:

Looking at this season, we lose the following games if we didn’t get the lucky break: 

GT (4Q fumble) 

Tulsa (gw FG) 

I’ll give us the ECU win since it would have still been tied without the Cronk win.

Our real record should be 4-8 after the season. Holtz finished his second year 5-7. Holtz had a few last second losses that year that didnt break his way, in which Strong had some last second wins break his way. They are two peas in a pod as far as coaching goes, and unless the staff is shaken up, we are in for a Holtz-like 3 win season next year under Strong. 

Eerily similar...right down to the getting up a score and going right back to the vanilla, run the clock, conservative, play not to lose mentality.

In my eyes it’s a generational thing with how they learned the game. Sorry to burst your bubble CCS and XCSH, but a two touchdown lead with an entire half to play doesn’t hold up in college football any more. Hell, it’s not holding up in the NFL either. 

You have to keep scoring and can never take your foot off the gas.

Say what you will, but XCWT and XCJL both knew you had to step on someone’s throat and never let them up for air.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  96

19 minutes ago, Hueyhog20 said:

GT (4Q fumble) 

Tulsa (gw FG) 

I wish I could find something wrong. But those were certainly some especially fluky outcomes, more so given that they masked some painful deficiencies which would later show our pathetic staff for who they really are.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

And Sterlin Gilbert is Chris Cosh.  Just on opposites sides of the ball

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

46 minutes ago, Hueyhog20 said:

GT (4Q fumble)

GT's decision to put a hobbled QB back in the game rather than the Back-up that was tearing us apart helped too.

47 minutes ago, Hueyhog20 said:

..on a blown coverage

Year 3 will tell us whether he is Holtz 2.0. I think Strong is better personally. Better recruiter, and better clock management. Skip was in a class of his own on clock mismanagement.

2 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

GT's decision to put a hobbled QB back in the game rather than the Back-up that was tearing us apart helped too.

..on a blown coverage

Year 3 will tell us whether he is Holtz 2.0. I think Strong is better personally. Better recruiter, and better clock management. Skip was in a class of his own on clock mismanagement.

I’ll be honest. I really don’t want to see a Strong year 3 to see if he’s a Holtz 2.0 or not. He’s already kind of proven that he is. I want him gone and a full re-start. 

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

He is more like Jim Leavitt.  Win OOC games and then fall apart in the conference games.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, Hueyhog20 said:

I’ll be honest. I really don’t want to see a Strong year 3 to see if he’s a Holtz 2.0 or not. He’s already kind of proven that he is. I want him gone and a full re-start. 

There are some similarities, and I have no problem with the re-start idea. I would imagine that we will know shortly after the UCF game..

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,040
  • Days Won:  469

5 minutes ago, hightechbull said:

He is more like Jim Leavitt.  Win OOC games and then fall apart in the conference games.

Except we're in a nothing conference.

3 minutes ago, hightechbull said:

I get your point, but disagree. Those Leavitt teams played better competition and never looked as unmotivated and sloppy as the Strong ones are now. Leavitt would own playing in the American. Also we have had a weak OOC schedule these last two years. Leavitt would have run the table here too.