• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reaves at middle linebacker

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

LB play this year has been the biggest reason for poor run defense

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

8 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

LB play this year has been the biggest reason for poor run defense

When one of your starting LBs is 5'10 210 teams will run at you.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Just now, Calibull said:

When one of your starting LBs is 5'10 210 teams will run at you.

Agreed.  Hard to fix that this year.  Definitely needs to be addressed on the recruiting trail.  What happened to Polk?

43 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

No worse than Sawtelle at times. Hence. I said wish he would have started out the season there. That is a position of concern.

Reaves looked worst than Sawtelle for most of the game.  He was constantly out of position and while he moved good laterally, he did not do a good job at all of filling holes to contest carries.  He could 't get off blocks. He is not a Mike LB... at least Sawtelle puts himself in position to make plays.  Reaves is a good OLB/DE hybrid.  I hope we never see him at Mike again.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Agreed.  Hard to fix that this year.  Definitely needs to be addressed on the recruiting trail.  What happened to Polk?

Knee... not fully healed in time so I think they're taking advantage of a Medical Redshirt for him.  I see that in his future.  We have a bunch of young LBs who'll be ready next season, but right now the experience is with the older guys.  Though I think any of the younger guys would have done better than Reaves, they just have to learn how to identify offenses and plays.  That comes with time. 

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

15 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Reaves looked worst than Sawtelle for most of the game.  He was constantly out of position and while he moved good laterally, he did not do a good job at all of filling holes to contest carries.  He could 't get off blocks. He is not a Mike LB... at least Sawtelle puts himself in position to make plays.  Reaves is a good OLB/DE hybrid.  I hope we never see him at Mike again.

It was his first game there. Sawtelle takes himself out of position a lot and does not have enough athleticism to recover. . Numerous times he gets sucked into the wrong gap.

Edited by Corey lea

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

For a decade, we were really spoiled with NFL level MLBs.  We need to get that back.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Corey lea said:

It was his first game there. Sawtelle takes himself out of position a lot and does not have enough athleticism to recover. .

He has the athleticism.  I'm not sure where that started, I think many are super imposing Auggie on him.  He's fast and does a decent job in coverage.  He's always around the ball.  I've been critical of him in the past so I've paid attention to him this season, he has not been bad. Not really sure where you got that from.  He's making the adjustment to calling defenses, that's always difficult your first year.  But he is getting better at it and him not being in the lineup showed.  

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Calibull said:

He has the athleticism.  I'm not sure where that started, I think many are super imposing Auggie on him.  He's fast and does a decent job in coverage.  He's always around the ball.  I've been critical of him in the past so I've paid attention to him this season, he has not been bad. Not really sure where you got that from.  He's making the adjustment to calling defenses, that's always difficult your first year.  But he is getting better at it and him not being in the lineup showed.  

I think the position can be upgraded. I watch him a lot and he is not very good. We really could use a grad transfer to help next year as insurance. McGee will be gone also and it could be really bad.

17 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

I think the position can be upgraded. I watch him a lot and he is not very good. We really could use a grad transfer to help next year as insurance. McGee will be gone also and it could be really bad.

TBO... McGee is too small to be playing LB.  He has a problem getting off blocks though he makes a lot of tackles... it's the tackles he doesn't make that cost us.  Look at the UConn game... they literally ran right at him.  So McGee gone and being filled by one of the young guys currently in the rotation is an upgrade.  They're bigger and will be better next season.  McGee is a Safety playing LB. And no... we don't need a grad transfer LB.  We have a bunch of young guys who will be ready and are getting a ton of experience right now.  We just need to recruit like normally and if there is something worth having in Juco or as a transfer, take them.  Grad transfer LBs will not start... they're great for special teams.

Also the goal is to upgrade every position every year.

Edited by Calibull