• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Game Day opening video

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

46 minutes ago, MikeG said:

careful-- we've lost both games we played against Georgia Southern. Granted that was before 2000. But still.

Adrian Peterson just scored on us again...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

If that hadn't been Bama's first loss of the season, do they still make the playoffs? Doubtful ..... You can go thru and pick out quirks here and there but the regular season, as a whole, means everything.

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

You only have 4 teams.  Shouldn't be too many quirks.   On the field, at the end of the season Auburn beat Bama.   If that doesn't prove you are the better team, then what the hell does?

Agree completely that there shouldn't be too many quirks,  ie regular season games that apparently didn't mean anything in regards to the playoffs, but they are few and far between .... extremely rare enough to not give any support to saying, categorically, the regular season doesn't mean anything.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Of course they should.  That's a quality loss right there

I’m fully expecting him to now replace App State with GA Southern on his list of teams better than UCF/USF.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

9 hours ago, michibull said:

If you can tell me any teams at the end of the year ranks #5 and higher, that was legitimately better than the two teams who played in the natty that year, we can talk; because OSU, UCF, Wis, PSU and TCU were not better than Ala, UGA, Okl or Clem, therefore, the CFP did its job. 

You don't know that.  You think that.   You act like there have never been underdogs win football games.  See ucf over Auburn last year.  Boise St over Okie U a few years ago, etc.

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

You don't know that.  You think that.   You act like there have never been underdogs win football games.  See ucf over Auburn last year.  Boise St over Okie U a few years ago, etc.

Um, it's called statistics. I like how people grab one or two examples of the exceptions and try to apply it as if it's a standard. We can all agree that there are years that a G5 upsets a P5 in a major bowl, but we are talking about having a system (business model) to make sure you have the 2 best teams in the country and a couple wild cards. Should a G5 get a wild card spot like last year? Sure, but the statistics strongly shows that these are exceptions and if your running a company, what will you invest in, statistical established norms or the once in a blue moon under dog (which nobody cares about anyways). 

45 minutes ago, michibull said:

Um, it's called statistics. I like how people grab one or two examples of the exceptions and try to apply it as if it's a standard. We can all agree that there are years that a G5 upsets a P5 in a major bowl, but we are talking about having a system (business model) to make sure you have the 2 best teams in the country and a couple wild cards. Should a G5 get a wild card spot like last year? Sure, but the statistics strongly shows that these are exceptions and if your running a company, what will you invest in, statistical established norms or the once in a blue moon under dog (which nobody cares about anyways). 

Um, it's not a company, it's a playoff for a champion and college football is the only sport that does it this way.  They're the exception not the rule.  By the current logic let's just skip the season altogether and just go to who we think are the 4 best teams

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

12 hours ago, michibull said:

But my question is, why is it the problem? Just because our school or conference doesn't have a seat at the CFP dinner table, doesn't mean we deserve one. If we made the CFP as a 4 team playoff and lose, that is really special, if we make it as an 8 team playoff, well, it just means we won our conference. We talk about how UCF winning the AAC is not as difficult as it was when we were in the BE, it's because we know that it's way harder to play well week in and week out. We know that just the top few teams in the AAC are as good as most P5 conferences, so there is some truth to an 11-1 Bama getting in over a 13-0 UCF who had to play Tulsa, Tulane, UCONN, ECU etc. I have great pride in our school and conference, but I'm also a realist. If you take an objective view of the system, it's actually not bad at all. For the most part every CFP game has been great, sure there's been a Mich State game here or there, but overall, the best teams have been there; that's all we can really ask for as college football fans. 

So you don't believe that every program in a Division deserves a shot at the title for said division? 

What other endeavor does that even apply to?  None, except college football.  Which is unfair. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, beastiebull said:

So you don't believe that every program in a Division deserves a shot at the title for said division? 

What other endeavor does that even apply to?  None, except college football.  Which is unfair. 

I really don't know why this is that hard to understand.  The brainwashing of the average college football fan is unreal.

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

Um, it's not a company, it's a playoff for a champion and college football is the only sport that does it this way.  They're the exception not the rule.  By the current logic let's just skip the season altogether and just go to who we think are the 4 best teams

The NCAA is a for profit entity, which makes it a business, which makes them a company. This is why there is such a bias to the large programs, because they generate MONEY!!! The way they make MONEY is to parade the best and most profitable two teams onto a national stage. The season is used to find the best 4 teams, so yes, the season means something. As I stated earlier, football is not a sport that lends itself to have a long playoff, as of now, the KIDS play 5 months out of the year, i personally don't think it's fair to have the season stretch into 6 months just so FAU can get blown out by Clemson because they won their conference.

1 hour ago, beastiebull said:

I never said that, thanks. But to save my breath and say that every school controls their own schedule. If you a G5 and you want to make the playoff, schedule all of your non conference games against P5 schools. Stop asking for hand outs and take control of your own life. If we played Clemson, Alabama, OSU and we win those games, they couldn't keep us out of the CFP. Everyone has a chance, schedule big games and win them and your in. Period!!