• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Game Day opening video

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,142
  • Days Won:  39

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

People say that expanding the playoff makes the regular season not as important. I say SO WHAT! WHO CARES! I would rather see the playoffs be done correctly than worry about making the regular season have more value.

I could see that argument because the powers that be are basically saying our regular season has no value.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

On 10/24/2018 at 1:46 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

People say that expanding the playoff makes the regular season not as important. I say SO WHAT! WHO CARES! I would rather see the playoffs be done correctly than worry about making the regular season have more value.

43 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I could see that argument because the powers that be are basically saying our regular season has no value.

It's just excuses.  They've always had them.   Why they couldn't have an And1 game, why there couldn't be a 4 team playoff and now why it can't be expanded so every team in your FBS Division actually has a shot at playing for a championship.  How much does the regular season mean to the G5 schools now?  How much does it mean to the Pac 12 where undefeated Colorado was eliminated a couple of weeks ago according to espn? 

8 out of 120+ teams make a playoff and the regular season doesn't mean anything?  Right, what they meant to say is it starts meaning something for more than about 25 teams.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/24/2018 at 7:18 AM, TheAccountant said:

I am a firm believer that if you aren't good enough to win your conference, then you aren't good enough to win a national championship. IMO, there should never be a situation where there are two teams from the same conference in the CFP (see UG and UA last year...complete horse****). There isn't another sport, other than college football, in which a team that did not win their conference can play in the national championship (college basketball I suppose, but that is a 64 team tournament so that doesn't count). That being said, I think they should extend the playoff by 2 teams to bring the total to 6. The first 5 teams would be the P5 champions, and the last team would be the highest ranked G5 team. The top two ranked teams would get a first round bye, while 2 plays 6, and 4 plays 5. 

Well, UGA won their conference so by your logic they're in; and also by your logic, the actual national champion (Alabama) should never have been given a chance. I'm no genius, but your logic seems a little flawed. You can say anything you want about how unfair it was, Alabama proved that they deserved the national championship by beating the best teams. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

5 hours ago, chapelbull said:

So what?  If the G5 team deserves to be there, then they have to beat whoever is put in front of them.  They just deserve a shot

You are missing my point-- that the bias will force a team into the worst possible playoff position even if they are possibly a 4th seed and deserve to not have to play the best team in the first round. Seeding matters imo.

Not that it matters much-- if USF has to win a conference championship to qualify we are never getting in. WINKY FACE ;)

*the WINKY FACE is added in case some people are reading on phones that don't show freaking emoticons. What are those-- flip phones? Pagers?

2 hours ago, michibull said:

Well, UGA won their conference so by your logic they're in; and also by your logic, the actual national champion (Alabama) should never have been given a chance. I'm no genius, but your logic seems a little flawed. You can say anything you want about how unfair it was, Alabama proved that they deserved the national championship by beating the best teams. 

No, the system is flawed.  You only take 4 teams to the playoffs and one of them is a team that didn't even make their conference championship game (1 of 5 Power conferences)?  And they lost in the last game of the season to the eventual conference runner up who doesn't get picked for the playoff?   So much for the regular season meaning something.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  341

8 teams p5 champs best g5 champ two at large. All conf games increase in meaning. Also can have more interesting OOC matchups without blue bloods gerrymandering. 

But that makes sense so will never be

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

No, the system is flawed.  You only take 4 teams to the playoffs and one of them is a team that didn't even make their conference championship game (1 of 5 Power conferences)?  And they lost in the last game of the season to the eventual conference runner up who doesn't get picked for the playoff?   So much for the regular season meaning something.

Bingo. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

If that hadn't been Bama's first loss of the season, do they still make the playoffs? Doubtful ..... You can go thru and pick out quirks here and there but the regular season, as a whole, means everything.

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If that hadn't been Bama's first loss of the season, do they still make the playoffs? Doubtful ..... You can go thru and pick out quirks here and there but the regular season, as a whole, means everything.

You only have 4 teams.  Shouldn't be too many quirks.   On the field, at the end of the season Auburn beat Bama.   If that doesn't prove you are the better team, then what the hell does?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

The system maybe flawed but I have two question's: has there been a team left out of the CFP that would have won the National Championship? For the most part, hasn't the best team won the National Championship? Before you start throwing out a bunch of teams that "on any given Saturday" could win, I don't want to hear that garbage. Anybody with a half, rational brain will tell you that it has done a better job than any system we have had. Expanding the CFP will only dilute the process and then you'll get 2 and 3 loss teams in there. The point of the 4 team CFP is money and to ensure you at least have the best team in the country (not to give out participation ribbons); and it does that. Period.