• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please help me understand these penalties.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

There is absolutely no way the tripping call was valid. The defender stepped over a falling Mays whose momentum threw his feet up a reasonable height. He tripped himself as his feet were actually caught with Mays’s from basically the ground. I had the game recorded slowed it down and watched it about ten times. Completely unintentional and to make that call, it has to be overtly intentional. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

22 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

There is absolutely no way the tripping call was valid. The defender stepped over a falling Mays whose momentum threw his feet up a reasonable height. He tripped himself as his feet were actually caught with Mays’s from basically the ground. I had the game recorded slowed it down and watched it about ten times. Completely unintentional and to make that call, it has to be overtly intentional. 

So, I used to be a swimming official and the one thing that they repeated over and over was that you had to be sure of an infraction before you call it.  That doesn't seem to be the case in football.

11 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

So, I used to be a swimming official and the one thing that they repeated over and over was that you had to be sure of an infraction before you call it.  That doesn't seem to be the case in football.

Exactly, especially when the penalty calls for intent. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

My god! “We would have won by 100 more points if was not from those penalties.” 😭Look, at the end of the day we sucked ass in all three phases for a large portion of the game. The most noncontraversal penalties were the offsides calls and those were just boneheaded. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

It's pretty tough to surmise intent when the play is taking place at game speed.  I didn't see the tripping play specifically, but I didn't think it was a poorly officiated game overall.  There were plenty of bonehead mistakes by our guys.  We need to clean it up

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

My god! “We would have won by 100 more points if was not from those penalties.” 😭Look, at the end of the day we sucked ass in all three phases for a large portion of the game. The most noncontraversal penalties were the offsides calls and those were just boneheaded. 

Absolutely nobody is saying that.  I had questions about these calls.  I personally learned that you can't tackle a QB below the knees and there may not be a running into the kicker rule.  

This is a USF fan board and should the right place for a little venting and clarification about calls like these.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

7 minutes ago, MMW said:

Absolutely nobody is saying that. 

It was said (paraphrased a bit), but not on this thread, so not really fair to be in this discussion.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, MMW said:

Absolutely nobody is saying that.  I had questions about these calls.  I personally learned that you can't tackle a QB below the knees and there may not be a running into the kicker rule.  

This is a USF fan board and should the right place for a little venting and clarification about calls like these.

Yes,  you have a legitimate question in your initial post. But it has now escalated into the calls being incorrect. Yeah, some probably were but it just makes us sounds like whiners. Refs make ****** calls in our favor all the time...it all evens out in the end. Also a lot of these “calls” were self inflicted. For example the tripping penalty was  irrelevant for me as soon as the lineman got knocked down on his ass to begin with.  Not singling out this thread, but there are others that sounds like a gripe session 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

20 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

For example the tripping penalty was  irrelevant for me as soon as the lineman got knocked down on his ass to begin with.  Not singling out this thread, but there are others that sounds like a gripe session 

Except even with the lineman getting knocked on his ass, we completed the pass.Was it a great block? By no means, but it was a football play that called a penalty. So instead of first and goal, we punted. It more than likely took points off the board for us.

Does it make up for the awful first half? No. But it had an impact. Refs aren't supposed to make an impact. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

42 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yes,  you have a legitimate question in your initial post. But it has now escalated into the calls being incorrect. Yeah, some probably were but it just makes us sounds like whiners. Refs make ****** calls in our favor all the time...it all evens out in the end. Also a lot of these “calls” were self inflicted. For example the tripping penalty was  irrelevant for me as soon as the lineman got knocked down on his ass to begin with.  Not singling out this thread, but there are others that sounds like a gripe session 

I guess I would just call it venting.  I got to scream at the TV I've but that didn't seem enough.