• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Welcome back to an old Face

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Theres no doubt he was on his way out.  We could spin it to 2 or his last 3 seasons were winning though.  I'd say he was average and he did help get the complex built.  He just failed to reach the success he had across town at UT.  I think he was too defensive minded and probably a little too loyal to some local HS players/schools.  I know a few of the guys he brought in from around here and they never struck me as D1 guys.  Kingston changed the culture immediately.  One player told me just after Kingston came on that the biggest difference was if you didn't hit under Kingston, you weren't playing at USF.  We've seen that and even if pitching/defense wins championships you have to hit at the college level

Edited by chapelbull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

if you didn't hit ... you weren't playing at USF.

That became very clear.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Going back to 1996 when I started working for USF Athletics I've seen 3 head coaches take other jobs at USF Athletics. (Bobby Paschal, Jim Fee and Lelo Prado) I could be missing someone, but those are the 3 I can think of. None of them were fired. All of them are incredible people who are/were incredible assets to USF Athletics post coaching.  Lots of respect for them to have a level of passion to want to be at USF when all of them could have easily moved on to another coaching job. 

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

2 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

Going back to 1996 when I started working for USF Athletics I've seen 3 head coaches take other jobs at USF Athletics. (Bobby Paschal, Jim Fee and Lelo Prado) I could be missing someone, but those are the 3 I can think of. None of them were fired. All of them are incredible people who are/were incredible assets to USF Athletics post coaching.  Lots of respect for them to have a level of passion to want to be at USF when all of them could have easily moved on to another coaching job. 

Mike: No one is saying Lelo isn't a good guy. As for moving on to another coaching job? Not one better than the one he already had; not with the trajectory of the program he was leading. How many more years after eight without an NCAA Tournament bid do you think he was going to get at USF? He made the right tactical move to step aside from coaching when he did and hopefully he makes a serious impact for our university in his new position.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Not arguing your points, Dave. Just saying that this thread is about Lelo Prado the fundraiser/ Bulls Club employee. 

Coaches coach. I mean that it gets in their blood. 

Lelo's track record over his career would have afforded him a good coaching job if he wanted to coach. I was sharing my respect for Bobby, Lelo and Jim for their desire to be part of USF over their desire to coach. No need to assume my post was meant to disagree with anything posted here, just sharing my perspective. 

• Upvote 1