• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How long before we call for Leavitt’s head?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  0

Never!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien
How long before we call for Leavitt’s head?  Don’t get mad or upset, this is a legitimate question.  Assuming we only win say 3 games (it is possible with our schedule) and the QB’s are as good as they were last year( already have a good start on that) – How long before Jim falls from grace?

You've already assumed we're only going to win three games? So what happens if we win 6 or 7, do you retirn from posting?

just curious since your the one setting the ultimatums.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

The reason I asked the question is exactly what USFPDIDDY stated "This pious coach-knows-all mentality really irks me.  He's just a so-far good coach doing his best"  Some on this board think he is infallible.  I agree he has done well, given how far we have come.  I think we are where we want to be (BCS conf) now the wins must come.  The coaching staff must step up as well as the players as the competition stiffens.

Go Bulls

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

No my intent was not to set an ultimatum.  I asked a question to see how board members felt.  Personally, if he has a couple of .500 seasons in the Big East he stays.  I'm a season ticket holder since day one and only want to see the Bulls win.  Some times one has to make tough decisions to grow a program.

Well, I'll just let this die.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

How long before we call for Leavitt’s head?  Don’t get mad or upset, this is a legitimate question.  Assuming we only win say 3 games (it is possible with our schedule) and the QB’s are as good as they were last year( already have a good start on that) – How long before Jim falls from grace?

This is maybe and I mean maybe a question you could've asked had you waited until the season ends but, now it's just stupid.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

STK - Maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I've ever agreed with you.......if we lose to UCF then I'd be the first to wish Leavitt good-bye.  A loss to UCF would be as bad as a loss to Buffalo or to a I-AA team.  Losing games like that and you have no business coaching.

I have heard rumblings that you guys have concentrated your whole spring and summer workouts on USF.  Each time O'Liar says something to motivate it includes USF.  Funny, Leavitt uses Penn State and Miami.  Maybe he's think too big.  O'Liar, well, he'd be happy with 1 win as long as it was against USF.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

No my intent was not to set an ultimatum.  I asked a question to see how board members felt.  Personally, if he has a couple of .500 seasons in the Big East he stays.  I'm a season ticket holder since day one and only want to see the Bulls win.  Some times one has to make tough decisions to grow a program.

Well, I'll just let this die.

There have been many threads on this throughout the year and some of us right now would just like the season to begin already.

Here are several related in the last 60 days:

3 page thread Re: is Leavitt qualified for Big East. Started 7/3

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1120424335;start=

Another 3 page thread Re: if this is leavitt's last year. Started 7/8

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1120817874;start=16#16

From today: at what point...

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1124637748;start=6#6

I didn't go back any further. I know there are lengthy threads dealing with the specific subject: What will it take to get Leavitt fired.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

C'mon guys! Be for real! This team is CJL's baby. In the short time we have been in exisitence, we have done feats no other college team has done ever in the NCAA! Guys remember how young we are. You all act as if we've had a program for over 40 years! Be realistic, I want the BULLS to succeed as much as the next, maybe more. But to call for CJL head, that's like saying your girlfriend is to ugly even to walk the streets. Don't start sounding like those spoiled a holes from the College of Animal Husbandry located in that wonderful town of Gaynesville. Stick with the program. And oh STK...still like your 0 fers. At least we know what it's like to win.     Reaper

The reason I asked the question is exactly what USFPDIDDY stated "This pious coach-knows-all mentality really irks me.  He's just a so-far good coach doing his best"  Some on this board think he is infallible.  I agree he has done well, given how far we have come.  I think we are where we want to be (BCS conf) now the wins must come.  The coaching staff must step up as well as the players as the competition stiffens.

Go Bulls

The people on here that smazza calls "apologists" have never said that Leavitt knows all.  Many on here support him because he is all we have known and he has succeed.  55-33 overall is a great record considering what we have had to work with:

- Facilities that would be considered substandard for Division III...

- Competition with three Top 25 programs within 4 hours drive...

- Lack of Conference affiliation for the first 6 seasons...

- Lack of BCS affiliation for 2 more seasons...

Could someone else have done better?? Who knows.  Any  speculation would be erroneous at best.  There is no way we can go back in time to 1996, when CJL first put a team together, and try it again with another coach.  Another coach might have done better, or might have done worse.

So, we are forced to consider a two important factors.

1) Leavitt was a hot commodity before showing his loyalty to USF by signing a contract extension for considerably less money than if he had gone to a higher profile school.  For a lot of people on this board, that means something personal.  It's almost as if he not only chose the school, but chose the fans -- that we are more important to him than the fickle fans of Big Program U.

2) Because of Leavitt's success, USF is in the Big East.  Now, as I said we can not know whether or not another coach would have done better.  Still, there is no denying the fact that a 55-33 overall record in 8 seasons points to the "potential" for USF that caught the eye of the powers-that-be.  Had Leavitt's Bulls gone 33-55 over the first 8 seasons, our potential would be no better than UCF, FAU, or FIU -- three teams that really weren't considered for Big East expansion.

These two items are something that Leavitt supporters use as the foundation for their faith in the ol' ball coach.  Faith that lets them come to the realization that too many people here have yet to realize: Leavitt knows more about football than the total sum of knowledge on this board.

It's not that Leavitt knows everything or has all the answers... but he was the one hired to coach our team -- and he was hired and given an extension for a reason.  He knows the game, he understands the game, he lives and breathes football (when was the last time you spent hour after hour watching practice and game film?)...

It's not that Leavitt knows everything, but shouldn't we give him a little benefit of the doubt??