• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart SBNation Comment on USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

38 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Is 7-5 really a major turn around that you would want to hang your hat on? The fact still remains that you are measured by your record and CWT is still below .500, has zero bowl victories and only has a winning record at one destination, Oregon. I guess you can lose most of your hands and increase your bets and then finally win one hand, get up and declare yourself the victor as you move to another table but I don’t think most people will be horribly impressed. As CWT pointed out mainting success is a different animal than getting there the first time. For the first time in his life CWT will have to achieve and then maintain success, his career will be entirely defined by his time at FSU (.500 isn’t going to cut it so he better hope he steps up his game).

I think a lot of people forget that Mark Helfrich didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare at Oregon.  I recall many of their fans thinking that Helfrich was on the verge of a turnaround given the recruits he had brought in and the expiration of the sanctions from the Chip Kelly era. 

I wish the best for CWT, I am grateful for he and his staff's recruiting and that he wasn't so stubborn that he drove our program further into the ground by insisting on running the Stanford offense.  But I am going to reserve judgement on him being a great coach until he's accomplished a few more things.  We will find out soon enough.

And as far as the comments he made, eh who cares?  I wouldn't have made them, but he did and they were probably pretty accurate.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

What he said is true but I am not sure how necessary it was to say it.

If it was Doug or Judy I see his point but put it in context, who asked him that question, some starry eyed fan at his first press conference?  Some provocative A-hole reported trying to get a soundbite?

I would rather FSU struggle because their fans annoyed me a few years ago in the stands.  I just like to think of those people crying in their beers once in a while.  I am petty that way but that is what fans do I think.

xCWT has no interest to me anymore.

People here asked what he as accomplished, has he ever coached a team that was #2?  Has he one a championship or a bowl as HC?  Those are fair questions after a quote like this.  I mean  pointing things like that is only the "truth" right?   

That being said, he did turn around WKU and USF and that is pretty impressive.  The question still remains is has he learned enough to take a program to the next level?  Will the fans give him enough time to accomplish his rebuilding?

FSU will want to win now, they are not as much as a rebuilding effort that he excels at.  It is a good test, of which I have almost no interest in the outcome. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, Bull Dozer said:

I know I'm wasting my breath here because we have contingent of scorned lovers who love any chance they get to diss CWT.   

47 minutes ago, Triple B said:

And the saddest ******* thing is that there appears to be decent number of butt hurt fans on here that are hoping he doesn’t. 

It's quite hard to imagine the unhappiness that seems to be in some of these people's lives at the mere mention of a man.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

5 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Hard to plan, finance and build an IPF and OCS in one week.

True.  Also, any capitalization that might have taken place based on that one week would likely have easily been flushed down the drain after the Holtz New Era.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

54 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Jeez I must've forgot how all of the fans stopped coming to the games immediately after we lost to Rutgers....  The enthusiasm locally for the program and the attendance were WAAAAAYYYY above today's level for YEARS after that fateful week.  The athletics admin did nothing to capitalize on that for the program that brought us all of that attention.   CJL had been chirping about that IPF for years, you think maybe, just maybe they would say "well CJL is doing his part we should do ours and at least seriously look into this for him" but nope, they didn't.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Oh for sure but if you asked him for his take on the university’s administration I’m willing to bet the Joel Miller situation comes up BEFORE any previous contention. 

Or maybe, just maybe, CJL mentioned all of that and mentioned how even with all of his success they didn't have his back before slapgate and then used that murky situation to oust him.  I'd imagine CJL would be more than willing to tell his whole side of the story at USF including before slap gate.  Something along the lines of "I built that program from trailers up and they didn't give me the support I needed when we were close to getting over the hump.  Then after all of that blood, sweat, and tears they used a scheme by a bunch of malcontents and a reporter with an ax to grind to push me out because some donors thought I had plateaued even though i was making chicken salad out of chicken **** with the paltry resources I had".   

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, BullsWinBucsWin said:

2 hours ago, BullsWinBucsWin said:

I think a lot of people forget that Mark Helfrich didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare at Oregon.  I recall many of their fans thinking that Helfrich was on the verge of a turnaround given the recruits he had brought in and the expiration of the sanctions from the Chip Kelly era. 

I wish the best for CWT, I am grateful for he and his staff's recruiting and that he wasn't so stubborn that he drove our program further into the ground by insisting on running the Stanford offense.  But I am going to reserve judgement on him being a great coach until he's accomplished a few more things.  We will find out soon enough.

And as far as the comments he made, eh who cares?  I wouldn't have made them, but he did and they were probably pretty accurate.  

Helfrich only had one bad year but it was atrocious including an Oregon State loss I believe.  He did leave some talent including the stud QB. They were 6-1 when that QB was injured and then the bottom fell out

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Or maybe, just maybe, CJL mentioned all of that and mentioned how even with all of his success they didn't have his back before slapgate and then used that murky situation to oust him.  I'd imagine CJL would be more than willing to tell his whole side of the story at USF including before slap gate.  Something along the lines of "I built that program from trailers up and they didn't give me the support I needed when we were close to getting over the hump.  Then after all of that blood, sweat, and tears they used a scheme by a bunch of malcontents and a reporter with an ax to grind to push me out because some donors thought I had plateaued even though i was making chicken salad out of chicken **** with the paltry resources I had".   

I’m pretty sure he would say something about Pepsi and how great it is to be a Duck, although it would be nice if he still cared enough to give your answer ( I read it in a half cracking half yelling voice and it made me smile).

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth,  I heard that Skippy wasn't happy with the administrative support at USF fairly early on and as time past was eager to move on.  I believe some was related to academics, but not all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

This would lend support to the theory that the administration had no plan

Edited by chapelbull