• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

19 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

No, it's just not normal or a place where a program traditionally wants to be. This is basic ****. If you're coaching and S&C are good the guys that have been its longer SHOULD be better than kids who have been in it for a few months. Yes, you can find some exceptions but again, they are exceptions. If your coaching and S&C are better than the kids had in high school they will be playing catch up to kids who have had that advantage for 2-3 years, all other things equal. If you were talking about skill/speed positions I'd be right there that it's not unusual for those kids, but typically, for the big boys things are either really good or really bad if you're playing them as true freshmen. 

They can get them ready from a S&C standpoint in the summer and sometimes spring workouts. I see it all the time when kids comeback with an extra 20 pounds just by simply changing their diet and putting them in some kind of routine. Kirby walked in the door at 248 and Leacock at 269 so its not like they needed to add that much and there isn't much fat on either one of them. Leacock I know, I saw him face to face as a HS senior. Most of the development has to come from a mental and technical standpoint and that comes down to how many reps you are getting, is it 2 deep reps or scout team reps. It all comes down to talent and whos in the position group. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:
2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

No, it's just not normal or a place where a program traditionally wants to be. This is basic ****. If you're coaching and S&C are good the guys that have been its longer SHOULD be better than kids who have been in it for a few months. Yes, you can find some exceptions but again, they are exceptions. If your coaching and S&C are better than the kids had in high school they will be playing catch up to kids who have had that advantage for 2-3 years, all other things equal. If you were talking about skill/speed positions I'd be right there that it's not unusual for those kids, but typically, for the big boys things are either really good or really bad if you're playing them as true freshmen. 

They can get them ready from a S&C standpoint in the summer and sometimes spring workouts. I see it all the time when kids comeback with an extra 20 pounds just by simply changing their diet and putting them in some kind of routine. Kirby walked in the door at 248 and Leacock at 269 so its not like they needed to add that much and there isn't much fat on either one of them. Leacock I know, I saw him face to face as a HS senior. Most of the development has to come from a mental and technical standpoint and that comes down to how many reps you are getting, is it 2 deep reps or scout team reps. It all comes down to talent and whos in the position group. 

You're both right, since you're arguing specifics against generals.

USUALLY seniors will have the edge, OCCASIONALLY freshmen will start.

For too many years we haven't had the recruiting or depth, and have started a lot of underclassmen that wouldn't have seen the field that early at most programs. I'm always happy to see a  freshman beat out a senior - may the best man win !!!

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

Both Kegler and Pinkney played a decent amount as True Frosh rotating with 2 NFL Caliber players.  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

8 hours ago, Capone2424 said:

Both Kegler and Pinkney played a decent amount as True Frosh rotating with 2 NFL Caliber players.  

That was really by necessity as we were depleted at DT. It worked out well because they made the most of their time and now are poised to be fixtures at DT for the next 3 years.