• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,554
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

You can be as strong as an Ox but if your hand work/placement sucks and you don't play with good bend you'll be getting pushed around like you're on rollerskates. I'll also argue that guys that are already as strong as he is probably get away with a ton of bad habits in high school because they're men amongst boys. They're usually the kids that need the most coaching because they aren't used to winning with technique but just pure physical ability.    

He has been getting rave reviews all summer. Go watch his tape.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He has been getting rave reviews all summer. Go watch his tape.

Yup, I've seen his tape. The kid needs work which is why he's gunna be a rotational guy who gets in when games are out of hand at best this season. He's a kid that could develop into a good one but he's far from there now. It's why him and the other young cats are behind Bronson, Kegler, Pinkney, and Boyce. They're raw and need to add strength and technique just like the stud DT's that go to Bama every seaon. They need a couple years to get physically and mentally ready. This isn't a knock on them its just facts that the trenches usually need the most time to get ready before they're truly game ready that's from Bama all the way down to the sun belt. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

4 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Yup, I've seen his tape. The kid needs work which is why he's gunna be a rotational guy who gets in when games are out of hand at best this season. He's a kid that could develop into a good one but he's far from there now. It's why him and the other young cats are behind Bronson, Kegler, Pinkney, and Boyce. They're raw and need to add strength and technique just like the stud DT's that go to Bama every seaon. They need a couple years to get physically and mentally ready. This isn't a knock on them its just facts that the trenches usually need the most time to get ready before they're truly game ready that's from Bama all the way down to the sun belt. 

With some exceptions. Rashan Gary and Ed Oliver come to mind. I also think more than a couple of the Bama DT could start here from day one. Technique isn't the only reason they are sitting, it could have more to do with the older former five star in front of them. 

1 minute ago, BrassBulls12 said:

With some exceptions. Rashan Gary and Ed Oliver come to mind. I also think more than a couple of the Bama DT could start here from day one. Technique isn't the only reason they are sitting, it could have more to do with the older former five star in front of them. 

Of course there are exceptions, however kids up front on both sides of the ball usually need the most physical and technical development. I don't see how I'm some how crazy to even suggest this. Everybody is a man at this level so you can't just use brute strength and physical ability unless you're a true freak of nature (paging Ed Oliver). Considering none of our guys have jumped into the 2 deep I'd say that's a sign they need time to develop. 

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Of course there are exceptions, however kids up front on both sides of the ball usually need the most physical and technical development. I don't see how I'm some how crazy to even suggest this. Everybody is a man at this level so you can't just use brute strength and physical ability unless you're a true freak of nature (paging Ed Oliver). Considering none of our guys have jumped into the 2 deep I'd say that's a sign they need time to develop. 

I just think it speaks more about how deep our DL group is. If they were needed as starters, the staff could get them right. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If our Freshmen and Sophomores are finding it hard to break the 2-deep, I actually see this as a good sign of our recruiting and our depth.

It's always been relatively rare for non-seniors to start games at major programs.

Can we now start thinking of ourselves as a major program ?!??!?

5 minutes ago, charsibb said:

If our Freshmen and Sophomores are finding it hard to break the 2-deep, I actually see this as a good sign of our recruiting and our depth.

It's always been relatively rare for non-seniors to start games at major programs.

Can we now start thinking of ourselves as a major program ?!??!?

Bingo 

17 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I just think it speaks more about how deep our DL group is. If they were needed as starters, the staff could get them right. 

If we needed true freshmen starters at DT chances are the program would be in trouble. Or we had a miracle and recruited two Ed Olivers. Shouldn't be hard to see which one is more likely

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

If we needed true freshmen starters at DT chances are the program would be in trouble. Or we had a miracle and recruited two Ed Olivers. Shouldn't be hard to see which one is more likely

You just make it seem like its ludicrous....and its not. Freshman can be serviceable in the trenches, if they are needed. such as Elkino Watson

Edited by BrassBulls12

Just now, BrassBulls12 said:

You just make it seem like its ludicrous....and its not. 

No, it's just not normal or a place where a program traditionally wants to be. This is basic ****. If you're coaching and S&C are good the guys that have been its longer SHOULD be better than kids who have been in it for a few months. Yes, you can find some exceptions but again, they are exceptions. If your coaching and S&C are better than the kids had in high school they will be playing catch up to kids who have had that advantage for 2-3 years, all other things equal. If you were talking about skill/speed positions I'd be right there that it's not unusual for those kids, but typically, for the big boys things are either really good or really bad if you're playing them as true freshmen.