• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football tier 2 in the AAC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

27 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Q threw for more yards under Gilbert than he did the previous year, a USF record, playing one less game. Averaged more total yards of offense per game than 2016, 513 yds. Averaged 38 points per game, which I don't think is too shabby ....... even though it was 5 less than the previous year, which could be partly attributable to the 25 TD's that went to the NFL.

The only glaring mistake I thought Gilbert made last year with Q was not giving him more of a chance to make something happen on the last drive against Houston.

Q had video game numbers both seasons. His pass game absolutely seemed like it improved under Gilbert, but exploiting his strength is not exploiting his passing game. His strength was never his pass game. While it improved, yes, his strength was still his feet and decision making. That’s the point I was making with that. 

My whole argument is that, for some reason it seemed like Q was held back a lot during the first half of the season. TDS didn’t create shirts saying “let him cook” for no reason. Let it be staffing changes, let it be losing Marlon Mack and Rodney Adams, let it be our special teams s****** themselves on the final regular season game of the season, but I’m not the only one that feels that things still could have turned out differently. 

Edited by OcalaBull2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Not sure if by saying that you think they've passed us by but to me it all boils down to how you define "passing by". IMO, it means going to a higher level of college football ..... like where we were in the Big East days. Right now we're at the same level, with them having a better run with the conference championships period

No I don’t think they have passed us by. But over the next four years if we stay where we are and they get two more conference championships and two more NYD bowl wins...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

Q threw for more yards under Gilbert than he did the previous year, a USF record, playing one less game. Averaged more total yards of offense per game than 2016, 513 yds. Averaged 38 points per game, which I don't think is too shabby ....... even though it was 5 less than the previous year, which could be partly attributable to the 25 TD's that went to the NFL.

The only glaring mistake I thought Gilbert made last year with Q was not giving him more of a chance to make something happen on the last drive against Houston.

Well said Trip... 

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

22 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

USF the last three seasons - 29-9 

UCF the last three seasons- 20-19. 

they haven't "passed" us by. Thats just non-sense 

Stop drinking the National Champions kool-aid 

I think the AAC metric ( since 2013) is interesting, for in conference games. USF is 24-16 and UCF is 27-13. Little or no difference in my view.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

21 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

I think the AAC metric ( since 2013) is interesting, for in conference games. USF is 24-16 and UCF is 27-13. Little or no difference in my view.

Little to no difference is right. Half of the people outside of these two fan bases can’t even tell us apart. If that doesn’t scream little to no difference, I don’t know what else does. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

3 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Let it be staffing changes, let it be losing Marlon Mack and Rodney Adams, let it be our special teams s****** themselves on the final regular season game of the season, but I’m not the only one that feels that things still could have turned out differently. 

The only way things turn out differently is if we'd won on Black Friday and I'd love to hear you, or any of those others justify accusing Gilbert of misusing Q for that game ...

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

Not sure if by saying that you think they've passed us by but to me it all boils down to how you define "passing by". IMO, it means going to a higher level of college football ..... like where we were in the Big East days. Right now we're at the same level, with them having a better run with the conference championships period

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No I don’t think they have passed us by. But over the next four years if we stay where we are and they get two more conference championships and two more NYD bowl wins...

Unless one of those NYD wins is a CFP semi final, we'll both still be in the same place ...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Unless one of those NYD wins is a CFP semi final, we'll both still be in the same place ...

Of course you can that about any G5 team...none and I repeat none will EVER be in the playoff. But that does not mean that some teams can’t pass others. For example, we have surpassed teams in the MAC, Sun Belt, etc. I get your point about the big picture but there are plenty of teams out there and some have passed others along the way. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

The only way things turn out differently is if we'd won on Black Friday and I'd love to hear you, or any of those others justify accusing Gilbert of misusing Q for that game ...

Oh really?  How about the lack of adjustment in the Houston game and only putting up 24.  That game came down to more than one play.  That would justify a different outcome because that would have given us another win and possibly a different bowl game.  I never once said anything about them misusing Q during the C. game.  

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

2 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Oh really?  How about the lack of adjustment in the Houston game and only putting up 24.  That game came down to more than one play.  That would justify a different outcome because that would have given us another win and possibly a different bowl game.  I never once said anything about them misusing Q during the C. game.  

I guess maybe we're talking about two different things when you say "things turn out differently". If we put up 65 points against Houston, we're still playing TTU in the Bulls Invitational Bowl ...