• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football tier 2 in the AAC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The difference between us and them is two conference championships and two NYD bowl wins. This, in my opinion, is significant.

If two seasons is all it takes to even the score, I don't consider it significant. One good recruiting class could even the score and some. That's just not that significant is the big picture to me. 

Especially, when in between those two seasons, they went 6-18.

Again, I wont make the case that we are clearly superior, to say that are is just as flawed IMO. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

If two seasons is all it takes to even the score, I don't consider it significant. One good recruiting class could even the score and some. That's just not that significant is the big picture to me. 

Especially, when in between those two seasons, they went 6-18.

Again, I wont make the case that we are clearly superior, to say that are is just as flawed IMO. 

Fair point. We are getting close. Hope this is the year we finally break through. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Yay, we're back to being underestimated.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

5 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Gilbert wanted to come in and run his system. I fully get that. But it didn’t take a rocket scientist to see that things could have been done better to adapt to the players, not the coaches. I don’t see how it’s unrealistic to have expectations that not much needed to be changed offensively. It may have been Gilbert’s first year at USF, but he’s ran an offense before and he’s dealt with good talent. We’re not talking Matt Floyd under center. & how was the offense accommodated to exploit Flowers’ strengths? Passing was never his strength. 

He had some of the best passing games in our schools history.  He was inconsistent with his passing but Gilbert was installing his system.  There were growing pains but we came within two plays of being undefeated and the offense once again put up record numbers.  Playing inconsistently like players do when they're adjusting.  It wasn't just Q, it was the entire offense.  But it was the offense the rest of the guys were going to be running the next season... and the next.  He figured rightly that Flowers could perform in the offense.  He performed by passing for a career high and playing 1 less game.  He still ran for 1K and we as a team ran for more yards than we ever have.  I stick to what I said... unrealistic expectations.  Two plays... both on defense.  I'm glad Gilbert stuck with the plan... I think we'll see the fruits of it this season. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  127
  • Days Won:  6

17 hours ago, Calibull said:

yup...  But we know our team and for a fan base, we're a pretty realistic bunch of people. 

😂😂😂😂

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Calibull said:

He had some of the best passing games in our schools history.  He was inconsistent with his passing but Gilbert was installing his system.  There were growing pains but we came within two plays of being undefeated and the offense once again put up record numbers.  Playing inconsistently like players do when they're adjusting.  It wasn't just Q, it was the entire offense.  But it was the offense the rest of the guys were going to be running the next season... and the next.  He figured rightly that Flowers could perform in the offense.  He performed by passing for a career high and playing 1 less game.  He still ran for 1K and we as a team ran for more yards than we ever have.  I stick to what I said... unrealistic expectations.  Two plays... both on defense.  I'm glad Gilbert stuck with the plan... I think we'll see the fruits of it this season. 

We had the best talent we’ve had combined in years. My expectations were a conference title. There’s nothing unrealistic about that.  I’m far from the only one that thinks things were mismanaged at times last season. & in terms of Charlie “not running up the score,” we need to make statements in as many ways possible (aside from claiming a national championship) when we’re in a conference that doesn’t get what it deserves. 

& yes, our run game had higher numbers because we ran more plays per game. 

Edited by OcalaBull2
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

There has never been an AAC team that is so much better than the rest of the conference that their fan base can realistically expect and conference title. They don’t just happen. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

6 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

USF lost ALMOST every game that mattered.

I’ve always called it “that” game.

Edited by BDYZR
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

7 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

We’re not talking Matt Floyd under center. & how was the offense accommodated to exploit Flowers’ strengths? Passing was never his strength. 

Q threw for more yards under Gilbert than he did the previous year, a USF record, playing one less game. Averaged more total yards of offense per game than 2016, 513 yds. Averaged 38 points per game, which I don't think is too shabby ....... even though it was 5 less than the previous year, which could be partly attributable to the 25 TD's that went to the NFL.

The only glaring mistake I thought Gilbert made last year with Q was not giving him more of a chance to make something happen on the last drive against Houston.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

6 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The difference between us and them is two conference championships and two NYD bowl wins. This, in my opinion, is significant. We need to get our crap together and get a conference championship. It is rediculious that this has not happened yet. 

Not sure if by saying that you think they've passed us by but to me it all boils down to how you define "passing by". IMO, it means going to a higher level of college football ..... like where we were in the Big East days. Right now we're at the same level, with them having a better run with the conference championships period

• Upvote 1