• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stan Heath Accused

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

50 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

For every "big money" program and player who is being "used" there are thousands of programs and athletes who are "using" the system for a "free" education.  Provided the kid has any sense at all he/she gets way more than they give.

Go Bulls!

I really appreciate the rare times I am in full agreement with @Bausfkid!!! :)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

You can argue that players may or may not be getting a good deal in college athletics. However, this thread is about Noriega's allegations toward Stan Heath and his experience while at USF. The way I read his allegations are that this coach and doctor felt so much pressure to win, they made decisions to get the athlete back on the field sooner than they should have been. Is Heath to blame for that? One could interpret his remarks that way but I think he was making a larger case against the entire system of the NCAA. 

Maybe his allegation is valid, maybe it isn't. That all said, we can't say college football and basketball is the same as all other division I university sports because of the money involved and pressure to win. USF Women's Volleyball just went 12-18 and no one is pressuring USF to fire Courtney Draper. 

I think the discussion Noriega was essentially having is should college basketball and football be what they are? They have a monopoly on talent. If you look at MLB Baseball Prospects or NHL prospects, many of the elite players don't go the university route because that isn't what they are interested in. Others value the degree so they go to college first and then go to the pros. That is the free market system at work. However,  the NCAA and the TV networks have a vested interest is keeping things the way they are so they don't want a free market system. 

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

30 minutes ago, Brad said:

I really appreciate the rare times I am in full agreement with @Bausfkid!!! :)

Wow!  You today and I even agreed with JTrue recently.  What is this world coming to? 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

6 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

For every "big money" program and player who is being "used" there are thousands of programs and athletes who are "using" the system for a "free" education.  Provided the kid has any sense at all he/she gets way more than they give.

Go Bulls!

Absolutely true at the D3 schools I've taught at. All the athletes are on some type of scholarship, usually academic, sometimes need-based. But the pressure to win is nothing like D1, so the athletes certainly receive more than they give.