• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2018 QB Mike Penix

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Well, we are no longer in a BCS (P6) conference. When we were, we were  able to compete much better for talent, especially against mid level BCS schools.

FWIW, Q like Grothe and Daniels, was recruited at other positions by the bigger schools. So, at the time, they were not considered 'splash' players at QB.

The recruiting ceiling at USF has been lowered as a result of being in a G5 conference. There is only so much that any coach can do about that.

I have gone back and looked at our past recruiting rankings and this is what I have seen. Leavitt did a really good job at finding the diamonds in the rough. He had loads of two star and low three star players that turned out to be key players and see the field a lot during his tenure. Holtz had similar classes to Leavitt rankings wise, but I don't think he had quite the eye for hidden gems that Leavitt had or the coaching motivation was bad because I've heard stories of the players being lazy and not working to improve. Recruiting picked up under Taggart, but I hardly see where we were doing much better in the Big East compared to now...the few 4 stars we picked up in the Big East were mostly busts. Strong's classes are better than Skip's and mostly on par with Taggart's ranking wise minus a few studs here and there. Still don't see where we were doing much better in the Big East.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

9 minutes ago, bullfan04 said:

It’s a great point you make and I do understand that. When I say splash players I’m mean 4 and 5 star players  with high potential to be impact guys at any position . Q, I believe, was a four star recruit. I believe we may have landed a few other 4 star players since we were relegated to the land of G5’s. I could certainly wrong about that of course. UCF looks to be signing Richardson a  4 star RB from Memphis.

I know CCS is touted as seasoned recruiter. I was hoping we’d win one or two of the battles and land one of the big fishes. I also understand this class could turn out to be the great USF class ever so by no means am I down on this class. 

The entire AAC has less than a handful of four star players in any year.

FWIW, USF commit Zion Roland is a 4 star player (80) on ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/219199/zion-roland

FYI Mike Penix is only listed as a 3 star player (78) on ESPN 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/news/_/id/219219/michael-penix-jr

ESPN has not yet ranked all of our commits, but we have two other players who are ranked 78. So far we have one 4 star and sixteen  3 stars.

They rank our two current QB commits O. Battle 76 and J. McCloud 74.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/58

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  337

Do you know what the the difference is between ESPN, Rivals, and 247 rankings? I usually look at 247, but for no specific reason other than Tito use to work for them and I know he’s a fellow Bull fan which makes him trustworthy in my book. 

It’s strange that Roland is ranked at 80 in espn and the two qb’s are ranked higher, but only three stars. This is what I was eluding to in my first post. These rankings appear to be based on some persons opinion and sometimes what schools are recruiting the player. How do we really know how good our class is? Is it best to follow one recruiting site over another?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

13 minutes ago, bullfan04 said:

Do you know what the the difference is between ESPN, Rivals, and 247 rankings? I usually look at 247, but for no specific reason other than Tito use to work for them and I know he’s a fellow Bull fan which makes him trustworthy in my book. 

It’s strange that Roland is ranked at 80 in espn and the two qb’s are ranked higher, but only three stars. This is what I was eluding to in my first post. These rankings appear to be based on some persons opinion and sometimes what schools are recruiting the player. How do we really know how good our class is? Is it best to follow one recruiting site over another?

You are probably better off having your question answered by people who have subscribed to one or more of those sites.

As a non subscriber, I currently pay most attention to the open content on 247.

Some years ago, I looked more at Rivals and then Scout.

ESPN takes much more time in ranking commits to G5 schools.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, bullfan04 said:

24/7

It’s not even a competition. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

4 hours ago, bullfan04 said:

Do you know what the the difference is between ESPN, Rivals, and 247 rankings? 

24/7 because they’re the ones who care. But I’m all serious they’re the best and it’s not close. The main ranking they show for each player is their composite ranking which is an average of all sites. They’re the go to for recruiting news. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  337

49 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

24/7 because they’re the ones who care. But I’m all serious they’re the best and it’s not close. The main ranking they show for each player is their composite ranking which is an average of all sites. They’re the go to for recruiting news. 

Thanks for the info. That’s who I will continue to follow for USF recruiting news.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Now that we have two QBs in this 2018 class signed I think he will go to another team.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867

Indiana is most likely, or us... FSU has backed off

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808

19 minutes ago, jasonb56 said:

Indiana is most likely, or us... FSU has backed off

link?