• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our achilles heel

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

On 11/24/2017 at 4:36 PM, Supersurch said:

Sterling Gilbert

On 11/24/2017 at 4:47 PM, USF_Grouper said:

Also you have an offense that has (or should have scored) 17 pts in first 20 minutes. Defense on the other hand has only got off the field once! I am not sure you can pin this one on Sterling :).

On 11/24/2017 at 5:00 PM, Supersurch said:

If we gonna run we should run Q.  Ucf is fast and strong.  They have pushed r offensive line backwards on power run plays.  Sterling has to trust QF.

Another Achilles heel we have is getting our OC's name right.  It's Sterlin.  :D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

9 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Another Achilles heel we have is getting our OC's name right.  It's Sterlin.  :D

Why bother - he'll probably be fired by end of year

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

23 minutes ago, Massbull said:

Please watch #1 and #28. I believe #1 has been on Kick return teams all year.  I heard that Coach Strong  he put on a more defensive unit for the kick return. How in gods name did somebody who’s avoids contact get on that return team. Total breakdown by special  teams coaching staff. My opinion is that the coaching staff what this team down in both their losses 

It looks like he should have been stopped at the 20

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Honestly, as bad as this return was, I was OK with it to an extent. I preferred having Flowers on the field with the ball rather than watching our defense give up the game. That's just me, I certainly would have preferred the defense to get a stop and go to OT, but, I would have been sick if they moved the ball down the field and kicked a FG as the clock expired for the win while Flowers had to watch from the sidelines.

At least we got the ball back and without the fumble, I just don't think Flowers was going to be stopped. Such is life I guess. The 4th and 24 really soured me on having the defense out there to preserve a win (or tie in this case)

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

10 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Honestly, as bad as this return was, I was OK with it to an extent. I preferred having Flowers on the field with the ball rather than watching our defense give up the game. That's just me, I certainly would have preferred the defense to get a stop and go to OT, but, I would have been sick if they moved the ball down the field and kicked a FG as the clock expired for the win while Flowers had to watch from the sidelines.

At least we got the ball back and without the fumble, I just don't think Flowers was going to be stopped. Such is life I guess. The 4th and 24 really soured me on having the defense out there to preserve a win (or tie in this case)

You know I was thinking it might have been a better strategy for him to have taken it to the 5 and run out of bounds so they could run 3 running plays and run the clock out and score a TD/kick the FG after burning clock.

6 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

You know I was thinking it might have been a better strategy for him to have taken it to the 5 and run out of bounds so they could run 3 running plays and run the clock out and score a TD/kick the FG after burning clock.

I said the same to my wife that he was stupid to score there. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

Sterlin is a good "OC", but he lacks a killer instinct and situational awareness.

For instance...we're only up by 6 with 9 mins of game time left and he goes conservative.  Q was on fire and Mccants was having a great game.  The D just made a great stop.  We're playing against a formidable foe at THEIR place and we clam up like we didnt want to lose.  I thought that was the turning point to the game.  Had we scored again or at least kicked a field goal, we would have put Ucf on their heels.  

We punted 3 times in the 4th quarter (one drive mostly at end of 3rd..)

1 - Penalty, QF run for 7, PASS for 1st, incomplete PASS, run, QF run for 9 with penalty, incomplete PASS, punt... (3 passes, 3 runs - 2 of which were Q, so, maybe busted pass plays, I don't recall)

2 - QF run, screen PASS to DJ , SACK (pass play), punt (1 run, 2 passes)

3 - penalty, QF run, 20yd PASS for 1st, PASS, PASS, PASS for 1st, run, incomplete PASS, incomplete PASS, punt

Sorry, not buying the narrative that we went conservative, sometimes, drives just stall. The first one was basically killed by penalty. We ended up 3rd and 11, you just can't count on picking that up at a high percentage. The second drive here I'll give you, but, I don't view QF runs as "conservative" per se. The short pass to DJ may have been conservative, but, it was trying to get him in space on the edge which most have been begging for, so...

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

I have a different take after they stopped UCF on fourth down.  I felt being up by six points was a perfect opportunity to try to establish the run. The momentum was with USF and I believe they could’ve put them in third and manageable situations  where  they would’ve had run or pass available. Also it would have shorted the game. 

I was watching the game on ABC and they did a terrible Job showing replays of some of the penalties. I thought one of the biggest calls in the game was the holding on MVS when Flowers ran for a first down they were driving at that point. Was it a good call?