• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I probably could have posted this in some existing thread about the possibility of Harlan taking some new AD  job, but I thought it deserved its own.

The article below concerns itself with UL AD Mark Jurich, who is currently suspended without pay from Louisville, apparently because he refused to fire their BB coach following revelations involving payments to him by the shoe companies.

The writer makes some observations, including how important Jurich was to building up their athletic facilities and on how instrumental he was in getting UL into the ACC, and compares what that meant in  terms of dollars and to what it would have been had they had been left behind. He does this by citing before and after budget numbers for UCONN, CINCY and USF.

That itself I found quite interesting, in order to better understand how that impacted all of us.

UL has not yet made a final determination on whether to keep Jurich on as AD or try to negotiate a settlement with him.

So, assuming that Jurich is let go, should USF consider hiring him as AD?

CRAWFORD | It's complicated: Tom Jurich's Louisville legacy, and future

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36552728/crawford-its-complicated-tom-jurichs-louisville-legacy-and-future

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Only if you want to be dirty as hell.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

13 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

I probably could have posted this in some existing thread about the possibility of Harlan taking some new AD  job, but I thought it deserved its own.

The article below concerns itself with UL AD Mark Jurich, who is currently suspended without pay from Louisville, apparently because he refused to fire their BB coach following revelations involving payments to him by the shoe companies.

The writer makes some observations, including how important Jurich was to building up their athletic facilities and on how instrumental he was in getting UL into the ACC, and compares what that meant in  terms of dollars and to what it would have been had they had been left behind. He does this by citing before and after budget numbers for UCONN, CINCY and USF.

That itself I found quite interesting, in order to better understand how that impacted all of us.

UL has not yet made a final determination on whether to keep Jurich on as AD or try to negotiate a settlement with him.

So, assuming that Jurich is let go, should USF consider hiring him as AD?

CRAWFORD | It's complicated: Tom Jurich's Louisville legacy, and future

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36552728/crawford-its-complicated-tom-jurichs-louisville-legacy-and-future

If this is 10-15 years ago, I say "absolutely". The difference between him and Woolard is staggering. 

But now? He's got enemies, and for good reason. He's been caught out in a dangerous legal situation. UL was brought into the ACC for their athletic prowess, they weren't brought in for their academics. They're UCF-level in academics. He's. In. Trouble. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. he needs to take his $20M over 7 years and call it a day assuming he doesn't face jail time too. We can't afford the negative publicity and I doubt his rolodex is worth what it was. 

Besides, UL was never USF. We got into the Big East with their lobbying, but they have a history. They've been a winning program since the 1980s. They aren't new to this game, they took their big ticket invite and ran with it all the way to the ACC. We don't have nearly the history athletically we do. He had something to sell. If this is 2007 he has something to sell with USF too, but he wouldn't now with this apathetic tampa population. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

Only if you want to be dirty as hell.

I like my ADs like my strippers.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

I like my ADs like my strippers.

Glittery and overperfumed?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, SANJAY said:

There’s no such thing as too much of either.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

20 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

18 minutes ago, JTrue said:

There’s no such thing as too much of either.

You should have gone to Rutgers.  

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I was assuming the situation  where Jurich left UL in good standing and was not implicated in the current scandal and was back on the market for another AD Job, when I asked that question.

I know USF would like to build an OCS and  has hopes of one day joining a P5 conference. Certainly the correct AD can impact  those things, for better or worse.

Someone, who formerly held a high position in the USF AD's office, told me that if LRS was still the AD when the Big East was in the process of breaking up that LRS would have gotten USF into one of the P5 conferences.

I know that LRS was instumental in getting us into the Big East, but I doubt that even he could have been able to have prevented where we are now.

Had Jurich never been the UL AD, I wonder whether they would have landed on their feet in the ACC. UConn, apparently, had the inside track over them and Jurich was somehow able to change that.

If not Jurich, who would you consider as USF AD to best achieve those lofty goals?

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,241
  • Days Won:  0

Louisville played a big part in usf being in the big east in the first place. Nothing but love for them. Us getting to the acc b12 was always a monster long shot. We were in over our heads in the big east as it was.