• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Soccer Beats UCF in OT

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

1) Soccer fans need to have everyone like soccer and understand that it is the best because it is the most popular in the world (argumentum ad populim)

2) The need for soccer fans to get everyone to understand that soccer has the best athletes because they keep running the entire game (meanwhile if you turn it on for 5 seconds no more than four  on the field are ever moving at a time and it is typically at a light jog).

3) Soccer is boring. 

4) Stoppage time (wait Soccer fans say the game never stops simply because the clock does not) simply stop the actual clock so everyone else knows where things stand instead of what appears an arbitrary decision of how much longer we have to suffer made by the ref.

5) The offsides rule (this is communist) make it a line make it anything objective but it shouldn't be a strategy to have your defenseman out of position (and it certainly shouldn't be possible in the box; hockey is my favorite sport and I am not against offsides rules; I also understand it I just do not like it and it's probably my biggest issue with soccer)

6) Soccer fans can't fathom any criticism of soccer because it is so popular in the world and think it is essentially perfect and above improvements (see baseball which is also boring)

7) Soccer fans always say it's going to replace every major sport in the US because seven year olds keep playing it so that they can play a sport and not get hurt, yet every generation of those kids grows up and still has no desire to watch it.

8) The injury faking is absurd and puts the NBA to shame. People literally fall to the ground like they were shot, get spraid with magic spray, and do not miss a minute of the game (which has stopped around them, yet it never stops).

9) Hating on something the rest of the world is so in love with is just fun and uniquely American.

Of those points, I can only somewhat understand point nine.  The other eight simply show that you don't understand the sport at all, and thus are afraid of what you don't understand.  That is unfortunate, as those that learn the sport enjoy it greatly.  

As for number eight, I do agree.  However, there is video of football players doing the exact same thing to get penalty calls.  So it is hypocritical on your part.  I expect that soccer will eventually make more use of replay after the fact to punish those that fake being fouled to reduce the impact of this greatly.  But it is hardly unique to soccer.  

The net result is that you hate the sport because others love the sport and you have never bothered to learn the sport, not for any real valid reason.  That's what I figured, I was just hoping there was a better reason.

Here is a real interesting feature of this message board.  If you see a topic you aren't interested in, you can just not enter that topic.  You are not required to read and enter and opinion on each topic.  Many people don't understand this feature fully.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Of those points, I can only somewhat understand point nine.  The other eight simply show that you don't understand the sport at all, and thus are afraid of what you don't understand.  That is unfortunate, as those that learn the sport enjoy it greatly.  

As for number eight, I do agree.  However, there is video of football players doing the exact same thing to get penalty calls.  So it is hypocritical on your part.  I expect that soccer will eventually make more use of replay after the fact to punish those that fake being fouled to reduce the impact of this greatly.  But it is hardly unique to soccer.  

The net result is that you hate the sport because others love the sport and you have never bothered to learn the sport, not for any real valid reason.  That's what I figured, I was just hoping there was a better reason.

And there it is the exact response that I said is given every time and helps to aid in the continued hate. I do get it, I do understand it (it is amazingly simple and that's why it is popular thru out the world), I simply do not like it for many reasons some of which I gave you and have to do with the game (i.e. The offsides rule, I get it but it's the wrong way to go about offsides and it rewards poor play and stifles offense; clock stoppage I get it but it's still wrong and can be done better).

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

And there it is the exact response that I said is given every time and helps to aid in the continued hate. I do get it, I do understand it (it is amazingly simple and that's why it is popular thru out the world), I simply do not like it for many reasons some of which I gave you and have to do with the game (i.e. The offsides rule, I get it but it's the wrong way to go about offsides and it rewards poor play and stifles offense; clock stoppage I get it but it's still wrong and can be done better).

But I don't object to you not liking soccer.  You can like or not whatever sport you want.  What I don't understand is why you feel the need to jump into a topic about a great win for the soccer team just to attack soccer?  Why not let those that enjoy soccer enjoy the sport and support our team?  Why the need to attack and drag down a thread celebrating a USF team success?  

Just now, Who'sYourData? said:

But I don't object to you not liking soccer.  You can like or not whatever sport you want.  What I don't understand is why you feel the need to jump into a topic about a great win for the soccer team just to attack soccer?  Why not let those that enjoy soccer enjoy the sport and support our team?  Why the need to attack and drag down a thread celebrating a USF team success?  

It was a pretty innocuous jab that was broadly directed at soccer as a whole, I am sorry that it triggered you and ruined your thread and celebration of this amazing win.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

It was a pretty innocuous jab that was broadly directed at soccer as a whole, I am sorry that it triggered you and ruined your thread and celebration of this amazing win.

But it was a completely unnecessary jab that happens every single time there is a soccer thread.  

5 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

But it was a completely unnecessary jab that happens every single time there is a soccer thread.  

I can see how that would be horribly upsetting.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

WhosYourData- i grew to like soccer when I did some work at an international company.  But I completely agree with Puc86 take on this.  He's dead on.....the amount of stretchers coming out, the fixes in matches are so obvious.  But then when I ask my international friends about this crap, they simply say it's part of the 'beauty' of the sport.  I still watch more soccer than I used to, but until they fix things it will remain the same in my mind.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wagers said:

WhosYourData- i grew to like soccer when I did some work at an international company.  But I completely agree with Puc86 take on this.  He's dead on.....the amount of stretchers coming out, the fixes in matches are so obvious.  But then when I ask my international friends about this crap, they simply say it's part of the 'beauty' of the sport.  I still watch more soccer than I used to, but until they fix things it will remain the same in my mind.

First, it really isn't nearly that bad and it happens in every sport.  I can show you video of football and hockey players pretending to be hit that were never touched.  

But mostly, that isn't my point.  Why come into a thread about a USF victor to troll about a sport?  If you don't like the sport, let others talk about the thread.  If I went into every football thread to talk about how terrible football is and all the concussions and fake crap in the game I'd be roasted.  Yet those same people that wouldn't take it feel free to come into a soccer thread and crap all over it.  You don't want to be a soccer fan?   That is your right.  Let soccer fans enjoy one freaking thread without a bunch of jealous people coming in to complain about the sport.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

I'll say this.....the faking in soccer is easily broken down by regions/countries in soccer (since it's so visible):

- Biggest fakers in soccer:  Italy, France, Argentina, Mexico, and other South American counties (Brazil only mildly)

- Teams who slightly fake or never: Germany, England, Holland