• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This play calling is pathetic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

This play calling must kill confidence. Let's say it's purposefully vanilla. Kills Confidence.

would much rather see the team just open it up like Oregon did and build up everyone's confidence and also practicing the right plays during a game.

Its really pathetic. Hearing that the offense was going to be just as fast as 2016 and not much was changing, then seeing the first two games? It doesn't look like anything was kept from the gulf coast offense. 

Well the snaps are fast but it doesn't matter when you don't get first downs. Just gives the other team more opportunities to score. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

10 hours ago, Brad said:

The early games, vanilla proxy, has been used so many times over the years as an avenue of hope, but never have I seen one of our teams that seemed to be going the vanilla route, shift gears and go full on Neopolitan  when the conference slate started.  It is what it is I am afraid and at best it might be Rocky Road.

The trouble withe the "Vanilla Excuse" is that you still have to execute vanilla...our talented team should beat the snot out of Stony Brook, straight up, with vanilla.  It's about execution and whipping the guy across from you.  We are NOT doing that.  Flowers & the RB's are not getting time/space, and that MUST change, or we're staring at 3-4 losses, and a St. Pete Bowl.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, JupiterBull said:

The trouble withe the "Vanilla Excuse" is that you still have to execute vanilla...our talented team should beat the snot out of Stony Brook, straight up, with vanilla.  It's about execution and whipping the guy across from you.  We are NOT doing that.  Flowers & the RB's are not getting time/space, and that MUST change, or we're staring at 3-4 losses, and a St. Pete Bowl.

we aren't built to run power draws successfully all game long even against Stoney Brook. especially when their safeties don't fear deep threat and cheat up to line of scrimmage.

it was never our strength and we only started to be successful on offense under Taggart when he went away from that style of coaching and started stretching the filed both vertically and horizontally. we could never out muscle teams

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

10 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:

Bingo!

Just now, El_Toro_86 said:

Bingo!

you guys must have just started watching the Bulls. Remember when Taggart came in and was going to dominate teams on the lines of scrimmage and run power all day long against teams like Stanford did? It doesn't work here. even against stoney brook.

We are known for speed and athleticism.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

we aren't built to run power draws successfully all game long even against Stoney Brook. especially when their safeties don't fear deep threat and cheat up to line of scrimmage.

it was never our strength and we only started to be successful on offense under Taggart when he went away from that style of coaching and started stretching the filed both vertically and horizontally. we could never out muscle teams

Agree...but even so, we should whip SB.  I was at the game, and there were so many times you could see the safeties within 10-12 yards of the LOS, and I couldn't believe we didn't throw on the them.  Taggart would have play action, pump fake bombed these dudes into the Stone Age.

We have 2 big TEs, and barely threw to them.  And DJ is a better receiver than runner, and I don't know that we've thrown to him once.  

And, we had a nice jet sweep run...then never ran it again.

The play calling & poor line play is frustrating & scary, and better get better quickly, or we're in for a letdown.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

Got to win of defense now. USF fans got spoiled by Taggart offense 

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

you guys must have just started watching the Bulls. Remember when Taggart came in and was going to dominate teams on the lines of scrimmage and run power all day long against teams like Stanford did? It doesn't work here. even against stoney brook.

We are known for speed and athleticism.

Yeah, I'm new...just 20 years here.  My point is, even BASIC (don't show the next foes) offense should still be able to dominate lesser foes.

I'm not suggesting the play calling is good or that we should run in between tackles.  Had OC thrown more deep balls, you force those safeties deeper.  Our drag the TEs.  Lots of vanilla stuff to do, but you still have to execute.  The OL and play calling are the biggest issues, IMO.

Just now, JupiterBull said:

Agree...but even so, we should whip SB.  I was at the game, and there were so many times you could see the safeties within 10-12 yards of the LOS, and I couldn't believe we didn't throw on the them.  Taggart would have play action, pump fake bombed these dudes into the Stone Age.

We have 2 big TEs, and barely threw to them.  And DJ is a better receiver than runner, and I don't know that we've thrown to him once.  

And, we had a nice jet sweep run...then never ran it again.

The play calling & poor line play is frustrating & scary, and better get better quickly, or we're in for a letdown.

we definitely should whip them but we aren't going to do it by running an offense like that. the safeties were begging us to go over the top all game. we did once for a 65 yard TD. single covered us all day and we don't use our speed and height on outside as an advantage. our line has never been great. they are good enough to run a spread attack though. last night was power football. we aren't built for that.

1 minute ago, JupiterBull said:

Yeah, I'm new...just 20 years here.  My point is, even BASIC (don't show the next foes) offense should still be able to dominate lesser foes.

I'm not suggesting the play calling is good or that we should run in between tackles.  Had OC thrown more deep balls, you force those safeties deeper.  Our drag the TEs.  Lots of vanilla stuff to do, but you still have to execute.  The OL and play calling are the biggest issues, IMO.

I'm not a big believer in don't show strategy. I think you go out and run your stuff. run it to get better every day. that's what these games are for.

we will never dominate any team running a power offense. we aren't built that way. Taggart tried it and failed miserably.

we could have thrown seem routes to TEs and go routes on outside all day long. it would have opened up running lanes too.

• Like 1