• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marquel Blackwell released...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

But he did fine against 1-A talent as well.  It's just the margin of error for the NFL is between slim and none.  At 5-11, without a rocket arm the deck was stacked way against him.  

He's a heck of an athlete... too bad he couldn't play another position... CB... KR/PR... etc.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

He's a heck of an athlete... too bad he couldn't play another position... CB... KR/PR... etc.

ironically, it was his reluctance to play those other positions coming out of HS which led him to USF.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Back to the theory that he was great against I-AA and not I-A though I'm sure that could also be said for a lot of his supporting cast.

There are a lot of great I-AA QB's in the NFL if you do some research...Kurt Warner, Steve McNair, Rich Gannon, etc. In fact Gannon only had one offer to make an NFL roster as a QB and eventually grew into a pro bowl caliber player. And Warner was playing Arena before he got his chance. So I wouldn't discount the competition level out of hand.

But I think his height will present a real problem if he ever wants to play in the NFL. Look at Doug Flutie, all he does is win everywhere he goes and still people look past him to the next "great" kid coming out of one of the top schools.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

There are a lot of great I-AA QB's in the NFL if you do some research...Kurt Warner, Steve McNair, Rich Gannon, etc. In fact Gannon only had one offer to make an NFL roster as a QB and eventually grew into a pro bowl caliber player. And Warner was playing Arena before he got his chance. So I wouldn't discount the competition level out of hand.

But I think his height will present a real problem if he ever wants to play in the NFL. Look at Doug Flutie, all he does is win everywhere he goes and still people look past him to the next "great" kid coming out of one of the top schools.

McNair dominated I-AA and was a high draft pick....obviously if you have the talent the NFL will find you....Jerry Rice, Walter Payton...etc....

I just recall MB not playing as well against the top dogs in I-A (Ark and OSU) but like I said a lot of that could have had to do with the entire team being out matched.

Though I do recall Kawika having played an awesome game against OSU.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

you mean OU, the Sooners....we didn't play the OkState Cowboys

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  53

OK, how soon we forget. To say mb went to the jets was not a favor for usf staff, it was mb choice. He did out play bollinger hands down, but we know how the NFL operates. And from what I heared when he was released from cfl it wasn't about talent it was about timing, same with maurice. And last,  to say he couldn't perform against div 1-a schools is crazy,remember he didn't have alot of personnel around him, when the program was building up players.    >:( >:( ???

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

He wasn't that good

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

He is still the greatest QB to have dressed at USF.  He is a good player, but not NFL calibre because of reasons mentioned.  Many of you seem to forget his poise and intelligence in college that lead him to greatness at USF.

He did well against just about all his 1-a competition.  Did you really expect him to look good in Oklahoma?  How many QB's that go there DO look good?  The team was overmatched so much that i doubt he was getting normal time to throw, and i doubt receivers were open as often or by as much.  Same with arkansas.  USF was out-classed in those games, and Blackwell just couldnt do it.

If you have any doubts about him as a college QB, remember the stat that stands out the most to me: he was second all time in consecutive passes without a pick.  Anyone THAT good at avoiding turnovers who can also get some points and ground yards, can be a great college QB.  We threw it a lot for him to have no picks for so many games straight.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  382

he was second all time in consecutive passes without a pick.  

Would of had the chance to break Dilfer's record too had we gone to a bowl game that year.