• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vikings announce they have signed draft pick Rodney Adams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Psh. I get a larger signing bonus in tech. It's fairly ordinary for something like 300K sign-on and $2-million over 4 years. There's a boatload more of us than there are NFL players. Stay in school kids.

Beg to differ, but that salary is FAR from ordinary.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Psh. I get a larger signing bonus in tech. It's fairly ordinary for something like 300K sign-on and $2-million over 4 years. There's a boatload more of us than there are NFL players. Stay in school kids.

If you're that good at your job, the money is well earned I'd suppose. Congrats! I'll be happy the first time I make $300K in a year in my profession, let alone a signing bonus of that magnitude (hopefully someday it will happen)... I haven't had my sights that high honestly - it would be one hell've goal for someone like myself. Never had a knack for anything related to the tech industry vice posting on a message board. Maybe I'll steer my daughter that route vice med school. She's got her mother's 10-lb brain... or at least I've noticed it early on in the game.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

https://www.paysa.com/blog/2016/09/22/facebook-vs-google-who-pays-more/

At Facebook, on the other hand, the average market salary for employees is $301,000 per year, ranging from $180,000 to $436,000. Average market salary includes $144,000 base salary, $19,800 annual bonus, $27,100 signing bonus and $109,000 annual equity.

These are ordinary for Facebook back in 2016. I'm a senior (sub-30 year old) engineer and seeing over the high end of that range, we get top-heavy signing bonuses.

Many more companies are in the same pay range including Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Tesla, Uber, Adobe, Dropbox, LinkedIn, etc. These companies easily represent over 1-mm employees alone. They're just the ones everyone knows about. There's, what, hundreds of players in the NFL?

Point is, your brain can make you about as much as a mid-round football player, for a much longer term, and because you used your brain to get there, you're much less likely to piss it all away.

I'm honestly surprised Rodney isn't making dramatically more than me (makes it obvious how stupidly overpaid tech is).

Edited by The Great 8
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Not that I would turn down a quarter million a year, some context is in order. Making $200,000 in Menlo Park, CA where the average price of a house is $2,000,000 with a mortgage payment of 7k-10k/month doesn't leave as much meat on the bone as one would think. Now if you can work remotely, that's a different story.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

And congrats to Rodney. He's been through some rough times, so this has to feel pretty **** good.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

8 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

These are ordinary for Facebook back in 2016. I'm a senior (sub-30 year old) engineer and seeing over the high end of that range, we get top-heavy signing bonuses.

Many more companies are in the same pay range including Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Tesla, Uber, Adobe, Dropbox, LinkedIn, etc. These companies easily represent over 1-mm employees alone. They're just the ones everyone knows about. There's, what, hundreds of players in the NFL?

Point is, your brain can make you about as much as a mid-round football player, for a much longer term, and because you used your brain to get there, you're much less likely to piss it all away.

I'm honestly surprised Rodney isn't making dramatically more than me (makes it obvious how stupidly overpaid tech is).

Sent you a private message. Thanks for the insight into other industries. Blows my mind to be honest...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

8 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

As Mr Jenkins points out below, what area of the country are you in.  I would be rather shocked if you were making that kind of money in, say, Tampa.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610

I'm clearly in the wrong industry.

• Upvote 1

Let's be clear folks, 300k for the average employee ANYWHERE is living it up; remember, that means more than half of employees make a good deal more than that. Obviously some places more than others. But yes, i actually have several folks on my team who make MORE than I do and work remotely, in Jacksonville, for instance. The reason the salaries are harder to find In Tampa is simply because it's not a tech area and lacks tier 1 employers in the industry. Pittsburgh, for example, has Google and Uber employees that make more than I do, and their cost of living is similar to Tampa.

Edited by The Great 8

Either way, my pay is not the subject here, lol. I simply found it interesting that I'm essentially earning mid-round NFL pay and urged kids to stay in school as a result. :backtotopic: