• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Summer Workouts ?s

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

I'll stay away from the conspiracy theories, and stick to our coaches opinion that it was the work of a bit of over-zealousness by the coaching staff regarding practices.

Sorry, I dont always buy the company line. The fact that it was our first game of the season and many players were probably working out hard and trying to get bigger all summer probably means they were also using LEGAL supplements to attain maximum performance. Many Div Ia football teams got burned with these types of side effects from supplements. It is possible we could have also been burned.

It wasnt any hotter out there in Alabama in the sun than it is in Tampa. I was there, other than the stadium running out of bottled water it was hot but nothing different than here.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

As for getting in shape I am not worried about Carlton Hill, have you seen a picture of this guy?!?!  He is built like T.O.

And I am sure Grothe is in good shape as well.  I think it is more of a matter of learning the system rather than getting into shape for those 2 in particular.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

As for getting in shape I am not worried about Carlton Hill, have you seen a picture of this guy?!?!  He is built like T.O.

And I am sure Grothe is in good shape as well.  I think it is more of a matter of learning the system rather than getting into shape for those 2 in particular.

Yep it sure is!!!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

im gonna call shannigans on that... doubtful they had practice that friday before the game, so they had thurs night, friday and saturday morning for their bodies to recover and that is plent of time from personal experience

if you are a top athlete, you can be ready to go in 24 hours tops.....  

Most likely, the kids who cramped were not doing so from conditioning though.

It's a preparation thing.  You eat potassium and (to a lesser extent) some salt.  You drink LOTS of water night before and day of leading into the game.  You stretch out correctly before the game.

I'm sure if I can play ball in the sun for 3 hours, the fine athletes on our team can, they're far superior to me in most athletic aspects (outside my mile time perhaps).

I doubt strongly that the kids were prepared going in.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

They have learned big time ( the athletic trainers and athletic dept) from that debacle! I was told by a very reliable source ( an assoc. AD) that this will never happen again in this great of a multitude. They certainly learned a big one from that Bama game!    Reaper

Guest S.  Bien

And the beat goes on with this board.   The truth be damned.

Mrebe, it won't happen again because the coaches learned from that episode.  It was their fault, not the players, no one wasn't prepared they were just not physically ready.  Not because of a lack of conditioning but because of the training schedule.

And the beat goes on with this board.   The truth be damned.

Mrebe, it won't happen again because the coaches learned from that episode.  It was their fault, not the players, no one wasn't prepared they were just not physically ready.  Not because of a lack of conditioning but because of the training schedule.

Truth be damned? What truth?

A tsunami could wipe out the practice facilities and coach Leavitt will say its his fault. He's in charge and that's the way things go with him. What he says and what is reality CAN be two different things. You said it was his OPINION, that's still different from the TRUTH.

USF: Bulls at loss for explanation

By PETE YOUNG, Times Staff Writer

© St. Petersburg Times

published September 1, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Thirty-three unanswered points had the expected effect on South Florida. The Bulls were grasping to explain how their 17-7 lead turned into a 40-17 defeat Saturday at Alabama - and coming up empty.

"It's really hard to tell right now what went wrong," center Alex Herron said.

"In the second half guys kind of faded out, I guess," said linebacker Maurice Jones, who had 16 tackles.

"We let one go," defensive end Terrence Royal said.

"I couldn't tell you (what went wrong)," receiver Brian Fisher said.

Coach Jim Leavitt said his impressions during the game were reinforced by videotape.

"It was just what I thought, they just wore us down," Leavitt said. "They ran it on us, we didn't run the ball."

The good news for USF is that it thoroughly controlled the first 28 minutes, and has a large window of time to improve before the Conference USA schedule starts. The Bulls host Division I-AA Nicholls State this week, then have two open weeks.

"Nicholls State is a big game for us, that's for sure," Leavitt said.

LITTLE THINGS: The Bulls were careless Saturday. They had four fumbles, losing two, dropped a pass that led to an interception-return score, missed a 19-yard field goal and committed eight penalties for 64 yards.

GETTING PERSONAL: Personal fouls helped Alabama get a cushion in the middle of the third quarter. The Tide, leading 27-17, was about to face third and 6 from its 7, perhaps giving USF a chance to get the ball back in good field position. But Matt Groelinger was flagged for a late hit, though replays indicated he barely made contact with running back Shaud Williams while falling over him. A personal foul on Royal two plays later aided the drive as 'Bama marched 97 yards for a touchdown and 33-17 lead.

BIG SHOT: Alabama sophomore quarterback Brodie Croyle was impressive. After starting 2-of-7 for 2 yards, Croyle was 12-of-20 for 201 the rest of the way. Tide receivers consistently got open and Croyle usually had time to pick them out. He threw for 99 yards in the third quarter when Alabama pulled away.

GROUND DOWN: Aside from Fisher's sterling 17-yard touchdown run, the Bulls generated almost no rushing attack, finishing with 51 yards on 22 attempts. Vince Brewer led with 28 yards on nine carries.

GROUND DOWN II: Defensive end Tim Jones had four tackles, but the rest of the defensive line combined for just six.

NOTHING SERIOUS: Several Bulls were felled by cramps in the humid conditions, but Leavitt said there were no serious injuries.

© Copyright 2003 St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved

From Go USFBULLS.com

Jim Leavitt Post-Game Quotes (8/30)

On losing momentum toward the end of the first half ...“They made the one long pass play. Bruce Gipson was on him real well and the kid made a good play. I was disappointed they got the inside slant. But quite honestly our defense holds them out of the end zone which really could have broke our back after we had fumbled on the kickoff return.â€Â

On the second half ... “I thought we were okay being tied going in at halftime. I really thought we had a real shot. I didn’t know we would wear down like we did. But boy we did, that was pretty obvious. They just wore us down. They ran the ball pretty good on us. We were holding the run game pretty good and I knew that was going to be a real key.â€Â

On Alabama’s 73-yard punt return in the third quarter ... “The biggest disappointment I had was when they get the punt return.â€Â

On USF junior quarterback Ronnie Banks and on Alabama ... “He seemed good in the first half, he did some good things. You have to give Alabama credit. We didn’t do anything in the second half and they shut us out in the second half I believe so you have to give Alabama credit for that. We didn’t do much there at all. We played 30 minutes of okay football but even at the end (of the first half) you have to give Alabama credit for that one pass-play, that was a heck of a throw and catch. We were battling but I’m disappointed that we didn’t play in the second half.â€Â

On USF’s two personal foul penalties ... “The one I saw I really questioned. I didn’t see the second one on Terrence Royal, I didn’t see what happened there. Then on our field goal, I was hoping we would kick that field goal and I thought we were 14 down and silly me, you know I thought we could win 34-33. That’s what I was thinking but obviously that didn’t happen. The personal foul, was that a continuation or wasn’t it? If there was a personal foul on the kick then it should have been first and goal but it wasn’t. I didn’t see the play. That hurts us, you can’t do those kinds of things (miss 19-yard field goals).â€Â

On the first half ... “We really had our shots that first half. We had fourth and an inch. We just didn’t snap the ball and you have to be able to snap the ball. That (would have) gives us a first down again and we’re rolling. I thought our guys were ready to play. I obviously didn’t do enough at halftime. You can jump up and down and break a locker or sing songs or whatever but the guys have got to come out and play. There is only so much you can do.â€Â

On the heat ... “It was a hot day and we knew it would be hot. We had a lot of guys cramping.â€Â

On Alabama’s offensive line ... “But the bottom line really was in the trenches with their offensive line and our defensive line. I think they just wore us out, at least that’s what it appeared to me from the sideline if you kind of looked at it. It was something that I had hoped wouldn’t happen but when we got a little bit tired I think they just got their horses in there and just kind of leaned on us a little bit and ran with their running backs and got some yards there.â€Â

On USF’s effort ... “Our guys they battled for awhile but it’s just disappointing we didn’t play harder in the second half. That was frustrating.â€Â

On what he may take away from the game ... “I don’t know. It’s a bad feeling. It kind of stinks. I don’t like it. It bothers me. I don’t enjoy losses. They don’t excite me. So what do you take from something like this? I don’t know. Anger. I just get angry. We have got to obviously do a better job coaching and they players have to do a better job playing. But I don’t want to take credit away from Alabama. They did a good job and they did what they had to do to win a ballgame.â€Â

On being involved with the Alabama job in December ... “Not really. No I never thought about that. You know you want to win a ballgame. That’s all you think about. I came in thinking we would win this ballgame. There isn’t any question about that. I really thought we could win the ballgame. But you have to execute, you have to do the right things and we didn’t. The punt return really broke our back, that thing really hurt us. Those things can’t happen. That really hurt us.â€Â

On whether the difference between this game and a game a year ago may have been the fact that USF is a bit younger this fall ... “I really don’t think we have any excuses, I really don’t. I don’t see any. These guys have been around and they’ve played some football. I don’t think we have any excuses at all. We got beat. They beat us.â€Â

On inserting Brian Fisher at quarterback in the first quarter for one play ... “We’ve done that before. We can use Brian anywhere. He’s a pretty good little quarterback. He’s a good football player, he really is. He’s one of our better players. We practice that and we work on it.â€Â

More on Banks who was making the first start of his career ... “The second half he didn’t do a whole lot. The first half he did some good things and you have to give credit to the O-line and he had some time. In the second half he was feeling a little bit more pressure. But you have to be able to run the ball. If you can’t run the ball and you’re sitting back there all day long having to throw it kind of makes it tough. You want balance and certainly Alabama got some balance. That’s the thing, they got the chance to run the ball and so some things there.â€Â

On USF highlights ... “There were some really good plays. Huey Whittaker’s catch is as good as you’ll see all year. You’re not going to see a catch better than that from anybody in the country. Brian Fisher did so many good things. Ronnie did look good in the first half. Our offensive line did some good things in the first half. Defensively we stopped the running game a bunch early in the game, we were shutting it down and doing good things. So there are some good things but you have to play all the way through. I’m telling you I thought in the second half we would come out and play and we just didn’t. You have to give them credit, they drove right away in the third quarter. They got down the field and went in there and scored.â€Â

Closing thought ...“We have a ways to go. That’s obvious. Nobody said South Florida was here yet. We’ll try to get a little bit better. We have some work cut out for us.â€Â

Players Take Responsibility For Cramping

The Tampa Tribune

September 4, 2003

Author: BRETT McMURPHY; bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Estimated printed pages: 3

TAMPA - You can lead a Bull to water, but you can't make him drink.

That's what USF's coaches and trainers discovered Saturday at Alabama when the Bulls had at least eight players suffer cramps.

"It's up to us to hydrate ourselves," junior WR Brian Fisher said. "All during two-a-days our coaches stress how hot it's going to be and to drink plenty of fluids.

"You can put it on the players for not hydrating enough."

Steve Walz, USF's assistant athletic director for sports medicine, said several factors led to the cramping.

"The guys could have drank more fluids and could have drank more earlier," Walz said. "It was the first game of the season and they're not thirsty at first and not drinking and then that catches up to you.

"And don't discount the fact [Alabama] was in the shade for an hour and a half. That's a great homefield advantage."

The Bulls' defense also was on the field the majority of the second half - after halftime USF ran 15 plays to 'Bama's 46.

The temperature was 89 degrees, but the heat index exceeded 100. About 75 fans at Legion Field were treated for heat exhaustion, including five who were taken to hospitals.

The biggest misconception is the Bulls were cramping because they were out of shape.

"I know it's not conditioning," USF coach Jim Leavitt said. "I don't believe any one runs more than we do."

Senior LB Maurice Jones said there's always an abundance of water, Powerade and electrolyte tablets available.

"The training staff told us what to do during the week, but some players didn't get properly hydrated and eat right," Jones said. "As an individual you have to know your body and know what you have to do not to cramp."

THE CATCH: When WR Huey Whittaker was first told his acrobatic, juggling 37-yard catch at Alabama was among ESPN "SportsCenter's" top 10 plays, he didn't know why.

"I got home and they were counting down the plays, 10-8-7-6, then 4, then 3 and I thought "I must not have made it,' because these plays are good," Whittaker said.

Then Whittaker's catch - while being interfered with by Alabama's Charlie Peprah - was named ESPN's No. 1 college football play of the week.

"I felt like any one of our receivers can make that catch," Whittaker said. "It was a routine catch."

WRs coach Tom Pajic called the catch anything but routine.

"To me that was one of the greatest plays I've ever seen," Pajic said. "He had no right to the ball, but he made it his ball. He bounced back from an earlier drop and showed what kind of kid he is."