• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

10 minutes ago, JoeB said:

Contact is definitely part of the rule, although there was none in this instance.  I was just adding that to the argument.  My point was it didn't affect the throw in any way.  Look its a judgement call, I realize that.  I'm not calling for the Ump to lose his job, I just think he missed the call.  Good job by the catcher to ask for it, I don't know if the ump even brings it up if not for the quick ask by the catcher. 

If you've seen the rule written somewhere else where contact is included, I'd love to see it. I posted the MLB definition of the rule earlier in this thread and it is absolutely NOT part of the their version.

The batter is out if he "...interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box..."

It would be the equivalent of hitting a ball into the gap and heading towards second and the second baseman is watching the play with his hands on his hips in front of the bag and the runner has to slow down and run around him on the way to third. He doesn't have to make contact for it to be interference and it doesn't have to be intentional.

http://www.umpirebible.com/index.php/rules-batting/batter-s-interference

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

No more GoPros!

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

2 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

Lol the irony of the ump wearing that while missing calls left and right is classic. If I'm USF, I would ask to see the go pro angles of all the missed calls. 

I thought he got both calls right at the plate.  The throws moved Dietrich up the line both times.  Merrell needed a better throw and that guy is toast.  Stunkel's was a good throw and maybe Dietrich could have hung back and scooped before the tag, although it would have been a tough scoop.  Both throws beat the runner and both live appeared to be outs.  After seeing the replays, it looked like Dietrich whiffed on both tag attempts.

As for the lineup.  I don't like Stunkel batting 2nd.  I don't like Villar hitting cleanup.  I don't like Montgomery being in the lineup, although I get it with a lefty on the mound.  Genord has batted cleanup for the last 35 games or so.  He's been struggling, so I understand why he moved Villar there, especially after his 3 hit game yesterday.  But it seems desperate at this late stage.  

Montes leads off the 9th with a single.  At that point I was yelling at the TV to bring in Chatfield.  Huge hole on the right sight of the infield to hit thru for a left handed bat.  Montgomery strikes out about 47% of the time, and he went down on 3 straight pitches.  Plus it was a right handed pitcher.  Why Chatfield hasn't been playing lately makes no sense.  Next batter is Zech who has been struggling lately.  He gets pinch hit for with Leal.  Don't mind this move but it was a batter late.  Zech's average is about 50 points higher than Montgomery.  And Merrell was just flat out overmatched.  He couldn't catch up to the fastball.  He had a rough day at the plate after getting a hit in his first at bat.  3 strikeouts.  I think he's only done that one other time all season.  And to see the UCF players running out to celebrate was the worst feelings I've had in quite some time.    

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

15 minutes ago, JoeB said:

I thought he got both calls right at the plate.  The throws moved Dietrich up the line both times.  Merrell needed a better throw and that guy is toast.  Stunkel's was a good throw and maybe Dietrich could have hung back and scooped before the tag, although it would have been a tough scoop.  Both throws beat the runner and both live appeared to be outs.  After seeing the replays, it looked like Dietrich whiffed on both tag attempts.

I saw that differently.  He got the ball as the runner reached third and threw the ball 10' up the line.  The wind was probably a factor but a good throw and the guy is out.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I saw that differently.  He got the ball as the runner reached third and threw the ball 10' up the line.  The wind was probably a factor but a good throw and the guy is out.

I thought it was a decent throw that was very poorly played by the catcher.  Speaking of catcher...we have first team all conference guy on the roster that hasn't played in two years and we are running out guys that aren't even D1 caliber.   What is the deal with Levi at this point?  Must be a horrible illness. 

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I meant a good throw being on line to the plate.  Dietrich had to go up and catch it or wait for the bounce.  If he waits for the bounce its still on line with the plate.  Its a tougher catch as he gets a short hop or in between bounce.  The ball still beats the runner, but maybe Tyler doesn't catch after the bounce.  Tough call, but I like the fielder to wait for the ball in those situations.  Ball always travels quicker than the runner.  Tyler could have straddled the plate and just dropped down and blocked it after the catch and that runner has nowhere to go   

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Just now, jg233 said:

I thought it was a decent throw that was very poorly played by the catcher.  Speaking of catcher...we have first team all conference guy on the roster that hasn't played in two years and we are running out guys that aren't even D1 caliber.   What is the deal with Levi at this point?  Must be a horrible illness. 

It is.  Staff can't tell you specifics but it is possible he is done.

2 minutes ago, jg233 said:

I don't Levi is a great defensive catcher.  I've watched him the last few years and I thought he was average at best.  Hitting wise, he's definitely a step up from Dietrich and Leal.  I was told a few weeks ago that Levi will be back for a 6th year.  It was approved by the powers that be.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, JoeB said:

I don't Levi is a great defensive catcher.  I've watched him the last few years and I thought he was average at best.  Hitting wise, he's definitely a step up from Dietrich and Leal.  I was told a few weeks ago that Levi will be back for a 6th year.  It was approved by the powers that be.

That would certainly be a nice boost next season if he is close to his old self.  Especially without Merrell and Luke.