• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the smith hire says

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

USF is happy to be here and will not compete

to promote a position coach that has done nothing to improve his players is bad for the program

smith's players have regressed not progressed

we will continue to be out coached and it will show it will continue to show in the second half

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

You know, given the fact that you are always either wrong or so far out on the extreme fringe that you might as well be wrong, now I'm starting to feel better about this move.  If you had gotten on here and agreed with the hire, I would have been scared.  Now, I know we'll be okay, since the "smazza effect" will ensure that Smith does okay.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I just hope CJL didn't hire Smith to be a "yes" man. If he wasn't willing to give more control to an experienced offensive coach then we could be in trouble.

Dungy was so stubborn in Tampa when it came to the offense. Didn't matter who he hired, if he was under his thumb, the offense never worked. I'm not a big fan of the spread but it can work in the right situations.

I just hope CJL is flexible enough to realize you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. I feel like this is what we have been doing for 2 years now when we use a t-wing QB to run a spread.

CJL should realize his strengths are on the defnsive side and hire someone to take complete control of the offense. Look how well Dungy's offense does in Indy when he has no control of it.

He better start recruiting guys to fit his system or change his system to fit the guys he is recruiting. Good head coaches know how to delegate authority. I hope he isn't trying to be a control freak.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

CJL should realize his strengths are on the defnsive side and hire someone to take complete control of the offense. Look how well Dungy's offense does in Indy when he has no control of it.

That's because the owners told Dungy he could not change ANY of the offensive staff or scheme when he was first hired.  His superiors didn't give him the free reign that CJL has.

---

This little blip is nothing when compared to the DECADE that CJL has given to USF.  More than anyone on this board, CJL bleeds green and gold.  He is into this job with his whole being.

We may all think he should do this or should do that... and that is our prerogative as fans.  But keep a little perspective here...

One decision that some find objectionable does not take anything away from the history of Coach Jim Leavitt.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Dungy built a great team in Tampa with most of the trades and draft picks going for "D".

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Dungy built a great team in Tampa with most of the trades and draft picks going for "D".

Dungy built a great defense in Tampa ............

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Looks like we will take Temples place in the new bigeast.  I sure hope we can beat Rutgers this year.

That's because the owners told Dungy he could not change ANY of the offensive staff or scheme when he was first hired.  His superiors didn't give him the free reign that CJL

I don't know if the owners told Dungy he couldn't change the offensive scheme but I wouldn't think they would assert that much control. Maybe they did.

I think it was Dungy who ran the ultra conservative offense not the owners. I also think Dungy hired "yes" men to be o.c.'s. Never really giving any power over to them.

He has a great Defensive mind but when it comes to the offense he lacks creativity. I don't think he was willing to admit that here.

I believe he oversaw much of the play calling and strategy when it came to the offense. He built great D's but imagine how great those teams could have been if they hired someone like a Gruden with some creativity to be O.C. and Dungy gave him full control. Even with the limited talent on the offensive side, they could have achieved great things.

I have the utmost respect for CJL and think we can be quite successful on Offense with the right players. I am behind him 100%. I just hope he isn't the stubborn type that feels it is his way or the highway as far as the offense is concerned.

I think some of the best coaches realize their shortcomings and aren't afraid to address them by bringing in guys with strengths to match their weaknesses. They generally don't succeed by bringing in guys to amplify their weaknesses by being "yes" men.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

According to the media at the time Dungy was told to keep his mits off the offense.

According to the media at the time Dungy was told to keep his mits off the offense.

For 6 years?

The head coach has no responsibility for the offense?

Who was directing that offense?  the Glazers?

Were they the ones calling 2 draws, 1 screen and punt for field position?

Maybe I was wrong about Dungy's offensive conservative side all along.