• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the smith hire says

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

I agree Jim, we dont know what went on behind the scenes, maybe we got stuck with Smith due to the timing of Hobbie leaving and Franks turning the job down.  But I still believe that if this was the case, Smith should have been named the interum OC and we could have conducted a search at the end of this coming season when there will be plenty of candidates to choose from.  There is never a shortage of coaching moves in the off-season.

Is there any word on the QB coaching position?  I am assuming Smith will not continue on as the QB coach, who will be taking over?

First, Spence, the word is "interim" not "interum"... sorry, but that was getting my goat since you have spelled it wrong in quite a few posts.  (It's also pronounced in-ter-im not in-ter-um, but that's another point entirely.)

However, I think Bien explained why Smith was not named "interim" OC.  Mostly, it comes down to CJL having the confidence in Smith to get the job done.  Only CJL knows what will happen if Smith fails... but by CJL being loyal and giving Smith the support he needs, the players will respect Smith and Smith will have self-confidence he needs to be agressive in this position.  (It's a psychological issue).

Lastly, I don't think Franks necessarily turned down the job.  CJL might not have offered it to him... sure, they probably talked about it... and Franks has probably voiced his displeasure with this scheme over the years... and CJL knows that recruiting is more important right now than the offensive coordinator.  Add that all up, and CJL might not have even offered the job to Franks.  (My assumption is just as valid as yours, in this case.)

---

Smith might not have been my first choice either.  However, I am willing to give him a chance here -- and I think everyone else should as well.

Now, I might be singing a different tune by the end of the season.  But we should at least give CJL a little benefit of the doubt.  Hasn't he earned that in his 10 years here??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I think it's a fair assumption that given a proper search there would be more qualified people interested and therefore passed over for the job. I doubt we ran much of a search just to end up with Smith and fail to see why particular names have to be given.....hence the word "search" applies.

Actually it isn't a proper assumption.  But then again who's checking.  Certainly not you.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

At least we won't have to look at that buffoon on the sidelines mang all those idiotic gestures and foaming at the mouth.  Hopefully he'll be hidden up in the coach's box.  He really was embarrassing on the sidelines.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

First, Spence, the word is "interim" not "interum"... sorry, but that was getting my goat since you have spelled it wrong in quite a few posts.  (It's also pronounced in-ter-im not in-ter-um, but that's another point entirely.)

However, I think Bien explained why Smith was not named "interim" OC.  Mostly, it comes down to CJL having the confidence in Smith to get the job done.  Only CJL knows what will happen if Smith fails... but by CJL being loyal and giving Smith the support he needs, the players will respect Smith and Smith will have self-confidence he needs to be agressive in this position.  (It's a psychological issue).

This whole "interim" thing was ridiculous from the start (besides the spelling)! Has anyone EVER seen the word "interim" applied to a coach that wasn't put in place during a season?? I can't recall one and besides, as someone has already pointed out, ALL coaches are basically "interim" except maybe, JoePa and Bobby B.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Actually it isn't a proper assumption.  But then again who's checking.  Certainly not you.

So, after all your talk about how Smith had to go you now believe that it isn't a fair assumption that there are plenty of more qualified coaches in the nation. What was that you said about losing respect for those who change their tune?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

yeah those hand gestures looked funny

hopefully coach smith will clean up a bit and look more professional

So, after all your talk about how Smith had to go you now believe that it isn't a fair assumption that there are plenty of more qualified coaches in the nation. What was that you said about losing respect for those who change their tune?

A search was done, and the applicants were not more qualified.  How many times does it need to be explained to you that this wasn't a plum opportunity and no one was lining up to take it.  Therefore, Smith was the best, and possibly only real plausible option at this point.  Regardless of mine or your feelings regarding him.  

It's difficult if everything needs to be spelled out for you in blatant terms.  

not a plum job

a bcs offensive cordinator position in  tampa florida?

are you kidding?

it is a tremendous job?

it appears  working for leavit isn't a plum job

not a plum job

a bcs offensive cordinator position in  tampa florida?

are you kidding?

it is a tremendous job?

You aren't worth the time to explain why the statement was used.  But to give you the stupified condensed version, 'our offense has already been installed, leavitt refuses to change this late in the year because it could be more detrimental to the team, new coordinator would have to work with the offense/scheme/terminology already in-place which is a lose-lose for any coordinator, i.e. if our offense faulters then that OC gets blamed for an offense he had zero to create, if we win the system gets all the credit. not to mention most good OC's have a proven system and refuse to conform or work with another system they don't know, or don't like- see: Carl Franks for example.'

Alright, I am done, and now you understand.