• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality of a DC change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Just for comparison:

Indiana before Allen was #121 in yards and #117 in scoring defense in 2015.

Indiana with Allen finished the year #40 in yards and #58 in scoring defense for 2016. 

USF in 2015 with Tom Allen  #37 in yards and #23 in scoring per game

USF in 2016 with Woodie   #119 in yards and  #85 in scoring per game

31 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Woodie isn't the main problem. The talent level just isn't there to match our offense. CJL was just too good developing diamonds in the rough ala Selvie, Jenkins, Allen etc into NFL caliber players and we got spoiled. Hopefully recruiting on Defense picks up.

Yes, Woodie is the main problem.  It doesn't get much more obvious.  Allen didn't/doesn't have a bunch of NFL caliber players at either school.  Florida kids are more than talented enough to at least have a mediocre defense.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

21 minutes ago, Bulls1181 said:

Am I seeing things or are Brown and Black stepping up at Defensive End in the last couple of weeks? Seems like we are getting a little bit more pressure on the Quarterback. If so then Woodie will magically become a better DC.. 

One of the reasons for the better play on the line has been rotating more guys in. It gives our guys that little bit more oomph that can matter on certain downs. 

I think the defense has looked better since that Temple game. Woodie has came down to the field and the players have reacted positively to him being there. 

the defense managed to produce 8 turnovers over the final 4 games, with a +4 margin after the UCF game. Can't blame the defense for the 4 turnovers (the Adams fumble with UCF, and the wonky plays with SMU for example), but we can credit Nichols for his 3 INTs. 

I'd love to see coach maybe bring on an "assistant" that can help mentor or advise Woodie. Like a stake for a growing tree. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

More stats on yards/game for the curious (cfbstats):

In 2008 (arguably our best defense), we were #10 in total yards allowed per game at 287.0

In 2012 in Skippy's last year, we were #66 (401.8)

In 2014 before TA, we were #71 (402.8)

In 2015 with TA, we were #52 (380.5)

In 2016 after TA, we are #119 (482)

So again, overall it's clouded by our 10 win season and a prolific offense that can out-score the opponent, but our D is not strong. Not even Brezzy had us allowing this many yards/game. I'm not saying Woodie needs to go, just that he needs to vastly improve and maybe needs some help to get this back to par for USF, at least. I don't think I could argue that our last year with Skippy or first year with CWT (#21), we had more talent than we have now.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

4 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

USF in 2015 with Tom Allen  #37 69 in yards and #23 65 in scoring per game

USF in 2016 with Woodie   #119 in yards and  #85 in scoring per game

Yes, Woodie is the main problem.  It doesn't get much more obvious.  Allen didn't/doesn't have a bunch of NFL caliber players at either school.  Florida kids are more than talented enough to at least have a mediocre defense.

It's kind of funny how you got Woodie's numbers dead on, per the NCAA, but must have just pulled numbers out of a hat for TA's (NCAA #'s in red). TA's are still better but lets not act like he was some kind of defensive genius here.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It's kind of funny how you got Woodie's numbers dead on, per the NCAA, but must have just pulled numbers out of a hat for TA's (NCAA #'s in red). TA's are still better but lets not act like he was some kind of defensive genius here.

Kind of funny that I used ESPN.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards/year/2015

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

9 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Tom Allen in year one of a brand new defense with mostly the same players had this defense in the Top 30 or so with the offense running just as quickly.  The defense has perhaps marginally improved the last few games, but UCF has a pretty terrible offense and looked pretty decent against us.  I have no doubt if we had been able to keep Tom Allen we would be playing for the CC and possibly be undefeated.

Woodie needs to get far better in the offseason, and the defense needs to add an assistant that fires people up.  Zero intensity this year, as well as a lack of fundamentals.  All that goes back to the DC.  

He should be replaced, but as I have said for weeks it is unlikely because Woodie is one of CWT's boys.  Unless Woodie fails at least two years in a row, no change will be made and our defense will continue to underperform and cost us conference championships.  

In comparison, Allen called a huger number of blitzes and QB pressures

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

18 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

****. I triple checked that before posting and just tripled checked it again before  realizing that when I was changing the year in the ncaa url to go back and forth, "2015" actually meant as of Jan 2015. :facepalm: .... He really was a defensive genius here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I standby my post on the first page, even after all of this data. If we could segment his data ranking the defense before and after Temple, I bet it improved fairly dramatically (say 120th to 80th). That's not to say CRW is "good" by any stretch, but it's to say he improved and CWT won't just fire his buddy when he showed improvement, especially when you consider he'll likely be replacing some other assistants.

15 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I standby my post on the first page, even after all of this data. If we could segment his data ranking the defense before and after Temple, I bet it improved fairly dramatically (say 120th to 80th). That's not to say CRW is "good" by any stretch, but it's to say he improved and CWT won't just fire his buddy when he showed improvement, especially when you consider he'll likely be replacing some other assistants.

No.  We gave over 600 yards each to Navy and Memphis.   And we just missed giving up 600 yards to SMU.  And the SMU and UCF offenses are mediocre at best.

We had some better series here and there, and appeared to be getting more pressure up the field the last few games.  But overall, we were still terrible.

17 hours ago, Triple B said:

****. I triple checked that before posting and just tripled checked it again before  realizing that when I was changing the year in the ncaa url to go back and forth, "2015" actually meant as of Jan 2015. :facepalm: .... He really was a defensive genius here.

Yeah, that page is pretty terrible navigation.