• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ring...ring...ring...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

If Mr. Harlan can net Murray Bartow of UAF'ingB fame to come sit next to Antigua, he can surely lure Strong to sit next to CWT.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I know the defense has been dreadfully awful this year but they are young. Have we considered maybe this was just a year we didn't have all the pieces to put things together? It is not obvious to me that DC isn't working out. There have been some signs of improvement - much better tackling and such. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

21 minutes ago, USF_Grouper said:

I know the defense has been dreadfully awful this year but they are young. Have we considered maybe this was just a year we didn't have all the pieces to put things together? It is not obvious to me that DC isn't working out. There have been some signs of improvement - much better tackling and such. 

Grouper, we returned 7 starters from last year and 14 of the 22 two-deep. Deadrin Senat, Bruce Hector, etc., didn't suddenly forget how to play defense. The scheme has been significantly worse and we're not dictating to defenses nearly as much as we did last year. 

The biggest problem is tackling-it's been awful. That is one thing that hasn't been much worse than last year, because it certainly wasn't all that great last year. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, Brad said:

If Mr. Harlan can net Murray Bartow of UAF'ingB fame to come sit next to Antigua, he can surely lure Strong to sit next to CWT.  

This.

Bring him in as a one-year consultant, knowing he won't stay, but milking him while we can

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  0

Arkansas boards are saying the same exact thing; I'm not sure that he takes a DC job anywhere though.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Grouper, we returned 7 starters from last year and 14 of the 22 two-deep. Deadrin Senat, Bruce Hector, etc., didn't suddenly forget how to play defense. The scheme has been significantly worse and we're not dictating to defenses nearly as much as we did last year. 

The biggest problem is tackling-it's been awful. That is one thing that hasn't been much worse than last year, because it certainly wasn't all that great last year. 

The main problem watching a full season is the lack of real sustainable adjustments. FSU's staff laid out the blueprint on how to beat the defense and everyone else has really just followed that scheme. The only major adjustment was a complete scheme change to the 46 Bear against Navy; and that was arguably predicated by tape from Tulane. 

Another glaring difference is the depth and size of the DL unit; the starters are good and some of the rotation guys but the size just isn't there. We all know that but there hasn't been any real scheme to compensate for that. Also the Husky was used differently last year than the Striker is this year. 

SMU was the first game since maybe Cuse where there was push from the DL and a lot of TFLs. It's hard to tell if it's the scheme from the DC, lack of fire from the coaches or just bad luck, but the defense arguably is what's holding this team back from national relevance from pollsters and cost us in Philly. 

No matter what happens this year I hope CWT sees what the potential for next year is and really hones in on bringing someone else in for the Defense. I hope it means that CRW awcknowledges that and learns under someone else and stays because his recruiting is really good, but we can't waste another year of Flowers at the helm. We can't afford to have a conference loss next year because one unit is so bad that the offense has to always fire on all cylinders.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

As long as they find a good place to keep Woodie in our camp, I'm for giving it a try.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Anybody do the analysis between the times we played Auggie+Nigel last night v. Cherry+Thomas?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

You know what though? One thing I don't believe I've seen mentioned in all of our gripe about the defense is how well and how quickly the offense performs. We boast and are proud about the offense scoring on one play, or scoring in under two minutes. What kind of effect does that have on the defense?

I wouldn't be surprised if the defense is gassed after the first quarter, even with good conditioning. There were definitive times last night where the defense looked better. I wager that's due to the additional rotations they were putting out. 

When the offense is only on the field for a few plays for a couple minutes, none of those guys have a chance to sit down for a minute and catch their breath and look at some adjustments. They're sitting for a few minutes and already its time to go dance again. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, Breedwell said:

You know what though? One thing I don't believe I've seen mentioned in all of our gripe about the defense is how well and how quickly the offense performs. We boast and are proud about the offense scoring on one play, or scoring in under two minutes. What kind of effect does that have on the defense?

I wouldn't be surprised if the defense is gassed after the first quarter, even with good conditioning. There were definitive times last night where the defense looked better. I wager that's due to the additional rotations they were putting out. 

When the offense is only on the field for a few plays for a couple minutes, none of those guys have a chance to sit down for a minute and catch their breath and look at some adjustments. They're sitting for a few minutes and already its time to go dance again. 

I do think there is something about that, our defense is on the field alot and even last night we had either quick scores or 3 and outs that does put alot of pressure on a defense.  \

We do need to get a few juco players for the D line and I would like to see some larger corners.