• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fan base culture shift

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Students, absolutely..... alumni, you have no case.

Young UCF/UF/FSU alumni go for the gameday experience and the atmosphere, not entirely for the game. I don't care how much fun your tailgate is, but it's not as fun as the ones On-Campus at the in-state schools.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Way too many local alumni to be drawing as we do. This is a culture problem, not a stadium location problem. I agree with Trips. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

12 minutes ago, theman123 said:

The problem is not the students that go to the game. The problem is, the ones that don't go, are not involved with USF football AT ALL. Gameday on Fowler Avenue is barely any different than a Saturday in March, and that is a HUGE problem. 

This 1000000x. I remember that if we had a night game or even an away game, the campus was like a ghost town. Nothing to get the students hyped about the game. Until the university does something to bring the energy for football up on campus, the borderline students will continue to not go to the games.

1 minute ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

This 1000000x. I remember that if we had a night game or even an away game, the campus was like a ghost town. Nothing to get the students hyped about the game. Until the university does something to bring the energy for football up on campus, the borderline students will continue to not go to the games.

And those 35k borderline students that don't go to games in college are very unlikely go to games in the future, losing thousands of potential alumni fans each year.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

16 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Way too many local alumni to be drawing as we do. This is a culture problem, not a stadium location problem. I agree with Trips. 

Yep. I think 'culture' is the right word. So, is there a magic fix to right the 'culture'? Or is the culture something that has to ferment for decade after decade before it's righted? If it has to develop over time (where time is measured in decades, not in seasons) we might be just where we realistically should be. The program has been around twenty years. That's plenty of time for the pre-football alumni to have developed an interest, if they were ever going to do so. Growth, it seems to me, would necessarily have to come from students; with the hope that that enthusiasm would continue after graduation. 

Edited by WoolyBully
verbiage

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

23 minutes ago, theman123 said:

Young UCF/UF/FSU alumni go for the gameday experience and the atmosphere, not entirely for the game. I don't care how much fun your tailgate is, but it's not as fun as the ones On-Campus at the in-state schools.

You guys must suck at tailgating if you need to be on campus to really have fun doing it ...

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Just now, Triple B said:

You guys must suck at tailgating if you need to be on campus to really have fun doing it ...

Agreed. This mental mind-meld that I'm having with Trips is freaking me out. :D

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

10 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Yep. I think 'culture' is the right word. So, is there a magic fix to right the 'culture'? Or is the culture something that has to ferment for decade after decade before it's righted? If it has to develop over time (where time is measured in decades, not in seasons) we might be just where we realistically should be. The program has been around twenty years. That's plenty of time for the pre-football alumni to have developed an interest, if they were ever going to do so. Growth, it seems to me, would necessarily have to come from students; with the hope that that enthusiasm would continue after graduation. 

Cultures do take generations to change.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

2 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Agreed. This mental mind-meld that I'm having with Trips is freaking me out. :D

I think it's a yin and yang type thing .... I hate Miami fans.  :hippy2:

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Not saying I don't have fun, not saying I don't think there are a lot of good tailgates at Ray Jay. I'm saying the atmosphere of having a majority of the student population on campus enjoying gameday is favorable to only the fans that drive 30 mins to the game. Disagree with me if you'd like.