• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FCSH 55 - Mike White 52

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

3 or 4?  We need to keep the hate going by exaggerating.  Why not just say they were all walkons?  

How many years do we need to talk about Skip Holtz.  It's been quite a while since he coached here.  I think we can move on now.

No exaggeration. Fact is really good coaches don't have enough scholarships to go around. they have to put guys on medical scholarship and "encourage" guys to transfer in order to open up scholarships for recruits.

USF has a solid history of walk-ons becoming contributors -- Holtz put four on scholarship this fall in safety Ernie Tabuteau, kicker Marvin Kloss and fullbacks Chris Breit and Spencer Cavalieri, joining former walk-ons like quarterback Bobby Eveld and receiver Stephen Bravo-Brown. Here are the new six, with what bare info we could find online. ...

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-football-announces-six-new-walk-ons

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

9 hours ago, Bull94 said:

No exaggeration. Fact is really good coaches don't have enough scholarships to go around. they have to put guys on medical scholarship and "encourage" guys to transfer in order to open up scholarships for recruits.

USF has a solid history of walk-ons becoming contributors -- Holtz put four on scholarship this fall in safety Ernie Tabuteau, kicker Marvin Kloss and fullbacks Chris Breit and Spencer Cavalieri, joining former walk-ons like quarterback Bobby Eveld and receiver Stephen Bravo-Brown. Here are the new six, with what bare info we could find online. ...

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-football-announces-six-new-walk-ons

Ok, so you have proven to me that Skip added walk-on players, as every coach does.  You are only allowed 85 scholarship players and a 115 man roster.  Where do you think the other 30 players come from?  (Hint: they are all walk-ons)

Edited by Who'sYourData?
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Let's compare apples and kumquats why don't we?

OK. Why?

apples-kumquats.jpg

Just now, charsibb said:

OK. Why?

apples-kumquats.jpg

Kumquats are Kool.  

Our fearless poster doesn't seem to realize that it is necessary to have 30 walk ons on the roster each year.

7 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Ok, so you have proven to me that Skip added walk-on players, as every coach does.  You are only allowed 85 scholarship players and a 115 man roster.  Where do you think the other 30 players come from?  (Hint: they are all walk-ons)

no I proved that he handed out a lot of scholarships to walk-on players. That's not what successful coaches do on a regular basis. especially 4 in one year. No where did I say that coaches don't use walk-ons.

Saban "encourages" players to transfer and puts guys on medical scholarship to free up scholarships for quality incoming recruits. not for walk-ons. I understand that Saban has walk-ons. he just doesn't give out 4 valuable scholarships to walk-ons in one year. Not sure you understand the difference.

Edited by Bull94
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

43 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

no I proved that he handed out a lot of scholarships to walk-on players. That's not what successful coaches do on a regular basis. especially 4 in one year. No where did I say that coaches don't use walk-ons.

Saban "encourages" players to transfer and puts guys on medical scholarship to free up scholarships for quality incoming recruits. not for walk-ons. I understand that Saban has walk-ons. he just doesn't give out 4 valuable scholarships to walk-ons in one year. Not sure you understand the difference.

I think you proved Holtz handed out scholarships to walk-ons. I've yet to read anything proving he handed out a lot of them.

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

Yeah, because we have the same level of talent as Alabama.  :facepalm:

Every other coach in the nation gives schollies to walk-ons.  Of the many Holtz criticisms, this has to be the biggest reach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

And besides, you don't even understand the situation.  We hand out schollies in the spring.  Players leave before the fall.  We can't recruit new players and sign them over the summer.   What Holtz did was give most of these guys ONE YEAR of a scholarship that was otherwise going to be UNUSED.  He rarely gave out a schollie that would have been used for an incoming recruit.

• Upvote 1

But even more relevant, follow the link and watch as NICK SABAN gives scholarships to three veteran walk-ons.  A little over one month ago.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/08/watch_nick_saban_awards_schola.html

BOOM! Goes the dynamite!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

But even more relevant, follow the link and watch as NICK SABAN gives scholarships to three veteran walk-ons.  A little over one month ago.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/08/watch_nick_saban_awards_schola.html

BOOM! Goes the dynamite!

you do realize he announced those after fall camp right? after he had 3 former scholarship players transfer out right? they won't even be on scholarship for the fall semester. They essentially get the spring semester on scholarship. it's symbolic.

Holtz at one time had a walk-on freshman starting at QB with a walk-on starting at receiver both of whom played as scholarship players.

Edited by Bull94
  • Downvote 1