• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Week 1 AAC Power Rankings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Switch Tulsa with Temple 

That was probably the 3 teams I had the hardest time with judging between was Temple, Memphis, and Tulsa. I took these power rankings based on who I would bet on if they played at a neutral site next week. And I firmly believe that Phillip Walker will wake up, and Jahad Thomas will come back to make the Temple offense click again. I still think they are a 8-9+ win team. Also, Tulsa is beginning to impress me a lot, but Memphis may be awesome again too this year. A lot will be sorted out after week 2

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

1 Houston
2 USF
3 Navy
4 Tulsa 
5 Memphis
6 ECU
7 Cincinnati
8 UCF
9 SMU
10 UConn
11 Temple
12 Tulane

4 hours ago, USFStPete said:

Who would you put below them then? A win over a mediocre FCS team doesn't justify them rising from the bottom spot quite yet after a winless season. QB play was still very questionable despite the score.

Houston, Navy, and Tulsa had the most impressive wins week 1. As for da Bulls, I expect us to look even better this week after a pretty vanilla gameplan against Towson.

Exactly, and I wanted to move UCF up, because that was a very impressive win, but Tulane looks to have one of the best defenses in the conference, and SMU showed that they can score on anybody just by having Courtland Sutton, and ECU had an all around great performance. I just don't see who they jump. NewEnglandBull says UConn, but UConn showed me that they are physically superior to Maine, and moved the ball with ease, and had a good defense. The rushing totals were 200 for UConn, and 40 for Maine. The score looked worse than it was due to mental lapses by the QB. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt

2 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

You're telling me that if they played at a neutral site next week, when Temple will get Jahad Thomas back, you would bet on UConn, UCF, and SMU over them?? You're insane

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

2 minutes ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

You're telling me that if they played at a neutral site next week, when Temple will get Jahad Thomas back, you would bet on UConn, UCF, and SMU over them?? You're insane

If you're missing one running back and lose (by two touchdowns) to a team that won two games last year... well... then you're not looking great. They don't currently deserve to be ranked any higher than 11.

7 minutes ago, Raetus said:

If you're missing one running back and lose (by two touchdowns) to a team that won two games last year... well... then you're not looking great. They don't currently deserve to be ranked any higher than 11.

Agreed on an embarrassing defeat, and you're right about that, depth is an issue for them. After waking up this morning, I probably would slide them back to 6.

But I still don't think UCF, SMU, or UConn beats them on a neutral field if they play next week. If they did, I would gladly bet a large sum of money on it. (I wouldn't pull a TigerJay and disappear if I lost the bet either)

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,310
  • Days Won:  10

Long season ahead. 

And Navy may plummet. QB Tago Smith tore his ACL, likely out for the season. Very disappointing

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

15 minutes ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

But I still don't think UCF, SMU, or UConn beats them on a neutral field if they play next week. If they did, I would gladly bet a large sum of money on it. (I wouldn't pull a TigerJay and disappear if I lost the bet either)

I'd agree with you that on that likelihood -- it's not a bet I'd take. I just can't rank them on potential that I was just sorely lacking in that game. Army is awful and Temple looked anemic. I'm sure they'll get their stuff together, but if Week 2 looks even a little bit lik Week 1 for them, they're in SERIOUS trouble.

But UConn also looked exceptionally bad.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

8 minutes ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

And Navy may plummet. QB Tago Smith tore his ACL, likely out for the season. Very disappointing

Yeah when he went down they had to pull their third string QB from the stands. That's killer, I hate to see a season-ending injury like that in game one. There running game has picked up where it left off though. 

I didn't watch the UCF game but that score is impressive! If their defense has improved significantly they will rise to the top of the conference real quick. Let's see what happens week 2 though, a lot can happen for another of teams on this list.