• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harbaugh coming to USF again

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

7 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Maybe it's just an emotional thing. Letting another Division I football team come recruit on your campus feels like a tacit acknowledgement: "you are simply better than us, and it's going to stay that way, so we might as well just try to get your table scraps." Like the sucker fish that follow whales. Even if it's true, I don't think that's a good mentality for a competitive sports team to have.

I doubt that Taggart has that mentality towards this situation and has already spun it to his guys the way he wants them to see it. I get what you're saying though.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

27 minutes ago, CPR said:

I guess I'm just of the mind frame that Harbaugh coming here does nothing for us/doesn't hurt us in recruiting. I don't think it's a big deal and won't change a kids decision on whether or not he wants to come here. Now, whether it hurts UF, FSU, Miami and other blue bloods is a different argument.

Which begs the question "why do we do it?" If it is a zero sum gain then why bother? There is no evidence we got anyone from these camps. Why help Michigan? Are they goi g to give us a game? A large donation? Really, what the hell is the point???

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

I think I misunderstand what a satellite camp is then. I assumed it was like a clinic, teaching kids about football from someone who is one of the best in the industry that they don't normally have access too. The reason is Taggart's friendship with Harbaugh. Just like the coaching clinic they keep advertising for area coaches. If I'm wrong and it's just Harbaugh coming down here and recruiting for UM without helping the kids then I dunno. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

29 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Which begs the question "why do we do it?" If it is a zero sum gain then why bother? There is no evidence we got anyone from these camps. Why help Michigan? Are they goi g to give us a game? A large donation? Really, what the hell is the point???

I don't think it's a zero-sum game. We actually did get a commit out of it last year, Paul Dawson. He didn't sign, but from what I understand he had academic issues and had nothing to do with his viability as a player. He ended up going JUCO. Better that he not  sign with us and having us take an APR hit. I'll add in that he was rated a mid-range 3 star on 247 and ESPN. 

Don't assume that we get nothing out of these camps. And this time, with a lot of top talent on campus and coming off a winning year where we set all sorts of offensive records, you have to think there's going to be plenty of interest from the recruits. last year, we were in danger because Taggart was on the hot seat. It was going to be difficult to get anyone. I think things will be much better this time, and a lot more Paul Dawson-types will be considering us a legitimate option.

Edited by bullsbucsfan426
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

41 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Don't assume that we get nothing out of these camps. And this time, with a lot of top talent on campus and coming off a winning year where we set all sorts of offensive records, you have to think there's going to be plenty of interest from the recruits. last year, we were in danger because Taggart was on the hot seat. It was going to be difficult to get anyone. I think things will be much better this time, and a lot more Paul Dawson-types will be considering us a legitimate option.

All those things you said are true notwithstanding these camps, though.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Nobody likes an occupation except the occupiers.   

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,339
  • Days Won:  43

If CWT can go to Baylor and learn about the Bears offense then I have no problem with Michigan coming to USF to learn about punting. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

Nobody likes an occupation except the occupiers.   

Edited by CPR

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

Half of Michigan's recent classes would not be considered true blue chips and could have been among our targets (i.e. moderate to high 3*s from Florida).

However, I would trust the relationship CWT has with Harbaugh and say they probably have some sort of informal agreement in place on how to approach things.

On a side note, it's weird to me that some seem to think our recruiting has gone out the window now that we're in the AAC. The reality is it's about the same and I would expect an uptick this year as long as we keep momentum going, with the possibility of surpassing our highest ranked class next year if we keep the momentum going all the way through.

We still recruit along the same level as our prior BE teammates.

j

Edited by CPR