• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Five under-the-radar teams that could make the 2016 Playoff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

This is an awesome shout out. USF definitely has the talent returning to run the table, and I have always been one of those guys who fully believes an undefeated AAC team with a decent OOC schedule would make the playoffs.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  2

Even if we run the table, the four team playoff is unrealistic in our conference unless most of our opponents are ranked. The playoff committee puts a lot of emphasis on strength of schedule and wins against teams like UConn, SMU, UCF just won't cut it. I would rather we win the conference and play in a new years six bowl against a perennial contender. 

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

beyond silly

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

We are the only non P5 school on the list, so that makes our odds a little longer.  Thanks to likely starting out as at least 'receiving votes', if we can win all of our games including a conference championship game I would suspect a top 10 finish would be near guaranteed, and a top 4 finish could happen.  I just hope we win the east and have a chance at a respectable bowl, but I could see us as a possibility. 

Our Harlan would give his left rock for that to happen.  He'd have something to sell to the P5 at that point.  Heck, even if we were up there and they shunned us he could sell it as a team that can get there.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Bullsfan1219 said:

Even if we run the table, the four team playoff is unrealistic in our conference unless most of our opponents are ranked. The playoff committee puts a lot of emphasis on strength of schedule and wins against teams like UConn, SMU, UCF just won't cut it. I would rather we win the conference and play in a new years six bowl against a perennial contender. 

I agree with everything you said except - why on earth would you rather play in a new year 6 bowl then the playoffs?? I get it isn't going to happen but if it could I would much rather the playoffs. Just confused by your logic?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Don't get me wrong, the joy of even thinking we'd have a chance to run the table is a welcome change from the blues we were singing before the last 2 seasons, but I can't even talk about this until I see how we handle game 1, let alone FSU. We'll have an unproven OL and coaching changes and new talent on D. A lot would have to come together for this team to be that strong IMO.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

Don't get me wrong, the joy of even thinking we'd have a chance to run the table is a welcome change from the blues we were singing before the last 2 seasons, but I can't even talk about this until I see how we handle game 1, let alone FSU. We'll have an unproven OL and coaching changes and new talent on D. A lot would have to come together for this team to be that strong IMO.

Just hoping that we can make the St Pete Bowl. That would make me happy!! Go Bulls!!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Which mid-majors could make a Cinderella run to the playoff?

South Florida

It’s not an accident that three teams from the American make this list. If any of these three makes the playoff, they will likely have enhanced their résumé by downing the other two (USF and Houston don’t play in the regular season but could meet in the AAC championship game). So, to an extent, each of Houston, Memphis and USF’s playoff hopes rest on the others building on their success from last year to keep the AAC’s stock climbing. For USF to finish in the top four, it’ll also have to upset Florida State on Sept. 24. That’s a tall order, considering the Seminoles are expected to contend for a playoff berth themselves, but it means a Bulls win would likely carry significant weight with the selection committee.

South Florida returns more starters (14) than either Houston or Memphis, including Quinton Flowers, who should be one of the AAC’s top passers not named Greg Ward Jr. He’ll be supported by leading rusher Marlon Mack, back after a 1,381-yard season, along with his top two targets. Seven starters also return from a defense that ranked third in the AAC in yards allowed per play. If USF can stun Florida State and jump into championship contention, it wouldn’t be the first time for the program. The Bulls ranked No. 2 in the initial BCS rankings in 2007. That didn’t end well, though; USF went on to drop its next three games and fall out of the rankings.

Full Report

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

15 hours ago, Brad said:

Which mid-majors could make a Cinderella run to the playoff?

Posted: Tue Mar. 15, 2016

South Florida

It’s not an accident that three teams from the American make this list. If any of these three makes the playoff, they will likely have enhanced their résumé by downing the other two (USF and Houston don’t play in the regular season but could meet in the AAC championship game). So, to an extent, each of Houston, Memphis and USF’s playoff hopes rest on the others building on their success from last year to keep the AAC’s stock climbing. For USF to finish in the top four, it’ll also have to upset Florida State on Sept. 24. That’s a tall order, considering the Seminoles are expected to contend for a playoff berth themselves, but it means a Bulls win would likely carry significant weight with the selection committee.

South Florida returns more starters (14) than either Houston or Memphis, including Quinton Flowers, who should be one of the AAC’s top passers not named Greg Ward Jr. He’ll be supported by leading rusher Marlon Mack, back after a 1,381-yard season, along with his top two targets. Seven starters also return from a defense that ranked third in the AAC in yards allowed per play. If USF can stun Florida State and jump into championship contention, it wouldn’t be the first time for the program. The Bulls ranked No. 2 in the initial BCS rankings in 2007. That didn’t end well, though; USF went on to drop its next three games and fall out of the rankings.

Full Report

Reading that, especially the last line, makes me shudder.  Must. Not. Get. My Hopes. Up.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Target gets huge on you back when you are ranked.  If we upset FSU then we can expect a tough season onward.  Can't get complacent.