• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers ranked #19 2016 starting quarterback by Athlon sports

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

20 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Congrats Q.. It'll be interesting what their take is when/if AW beats him out. I can't see how Q is ranked #19. The kid has wheels, but his arm accuracy leaves a lot to be imagined. I bet they just looked at numbers and realized he was a sophomore, so they immediately said "Top 20 QB". Anybody who watched our games realizes the shortcomings of Flowers. I hope he corrects the shortcomings and makes me eat my words - because if he does, we'll be a great team next year. If he doesn't, we'll take a couple losses and will enter the Jim Leavitt Twilight Zone of good, but never good enough.

I agree with most of this.

Basically CWT got the ball into the hands of play makers with lots of passes behind the LOS or short passes which did pad QF numbers. That being said his progress last year was much much better than I expected. He made some throws I didn't think he could make last year and I am hoping he's working hard on the weaknesses in his game because if he can tighten those up I believe he will deserve that ranking. He has a lot of work to get there IMO but then again his progress was quite remarkable last year. Hard to predict at the moment how it will turn out.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

Actually, we don't know that. Right now we are 1 injury away from going to a qb who has never taken a snap in a football game at this level. We all HOPE that AW, the fans' frontrunner for first in, won't be disaster but we certainly don't KNOW. I pray that we can put Towson away early enough to get some of the other qb's in there to kind of see what we've got but they didn't give ECU that luxury last year, staying within 1 score most of the game ...

If it isn't AW, we have 2 more promising guys behind him. Are you actually saying you don't feel this is as deep at the position we have ever been? Are they all Heismans? I don't know, I don't care and they don't need to be. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, SpeedyBull said:

If it isn't AW, we have 2 more promising guys behind him. Are you actually saying you don't feel this is as deep at the position we have ever been? Are they all Heismans? I don't know, I don't care and they don't need to be. 

That's not what he is saying. Of course, on paper this is as deep as the QB has ever been at USF. The point is that sure they all are talented and have potential. But the fact of the matter is that no one can know how a QB (or any college player, but especially a QB) will do until they actually step on the field at the college level. The QB position has a huge mental aspect that can't really be accounted for until they see game time.

Which is why he is saying he hopes we put away some of the first games early, so we can give those QB's field time.

Edited by Sipher
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

2 minutes ago, Sipher said:

That's not what he is saying. Of course, on paper this is as deep as the QB has ever been at USF. The point is that sure they all are talented and have potential. But the fact of the matter is that no one can know how a QB (or any college player, but especially a QB) will do until they actually step on the field at the college level. The QB position has a huge mental aspect that can't really be accounted for until they see game time.

Which is why he is saying he hopes we put away some of the first games early, so we can give those QB's field time.

Exactly, Flowers looks like crap in the spring game but once he steps on the field he shines.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705

1 minute ago, Sipher said:

That's not what he is saying, of course on paper, this is as deep as the QB has ever been at USF. The point is that sure they all are talented and have potential. But the fact of the matter is that no one can know how a QB (or any college player, but especially a QB) will do until they actually step on the field at the college level. The QB position has a huge mental aspect that can't really be accounted for until they see game time.

I know what he was saying. We won't know until we know. but of all our few years of cfb how would you say our depth at position is compared to any other year? To me this is one of strongest years at the position. I am sure at least 1 will not be our guy. That is just the way it is. Keep in mind as "unproven" as AW was out west he was among some serious studs. To be 3rd or 4th option there doesn't mean you are bad qb. Which is what I am hoping we have here by saying we now have some serious depth. 

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611

Seems like today anyone who disagrees or has constructive criticism is a "hater". Some people here would benefit from being in a design competition like you have to do in architecture programs where you go in front of a jury that rips apart (sometimes literally) your design. You will never get better at anything if you view all other opinions as hating. I like Flowers a lot but, so far, he makes more plays with his feet or the threat of using them than he does with pinpoint passing. He's just not a consistent passer yet. He is however a baller in the way that Grothe was. That can't be taught. If Woulard can come in and prove himself the better QB I don't have a problem with that. Either way Flowers will play. He's just too good of a playmaker to sit him out.

Edited by ToroDeFuego
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

Just now, ToroDeFuego said:

Seems like today anyone who disagrees or has constructive criticism is a "hater". Some people here would benefit from being in a design competition like you have to do in architecture programs where you go in front of a jury that rips apart (sometimes literally) your design. You will never get better at anything if you view all other opinions as hating. I like Flowers a lot but, so far, he makes more plays with his feet or the threat of using them than he does with pinpoint passing. He's just not a consistent passer yet. He is however a baller in the way that Grothe was. That can't be taught. If Woulard can come in and prove himself the better QB I don't have a problem with that. Either way Flowers will play. He's just too good of a playmaker to sit him out.

No, there are some haters that are not offering constructive criticism.  You just demonstrated how to critique without sounding like a hater.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, SpeedyBull said:

I know what he was saying. We won't know until we know. but of all our few years of cfb how would you say our depth at position is compared to any other year? To me this is one of strongest years at the position. I am sure at least 1 will not be our guy. That is just the way it is. Keep in mind as "unproven" as AW was out west he was among some serious studs. To be 3rd or 4th option there doesn't mean you are bad qb. Which is what I am hoping we have here by saying we now have some serious depth. 

I don't think anyone will dispute you on that. Fact of the matter, this is the deepest the QB position has been here since I've started following USF football (which is 08, my first year in college).

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

3 minutes ago, mark_my_words said:

No, there are some haters that are not offering constructive criticism.  You just demonstrated how to critique without sounding like a hater.

Exactly, I'm not thrilled with his lack of consistency, but if he can improve even just a little, he could be really dangerous.  With that said, if AW is better overall, then he should play.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

8 minutes ago, ToroDeFuego said:

Seems like today anyone who disagrees or has constructive criticism is a "hater". Some people here would benefit from being in a design competition like you have to do in architecture programs where you go in front of a jury that rips apart (sometimes literally) your design. You will never get better at anything if you view all other opinions as hating. I like Flowers a lot but, so far, he makes more plays with his feet or the threat of using them than he does with pinpoint passing. He's just not a consistent passer yet. He is however a baller in the way that Grothe was. That can't be taught. If Woulard can come in and prove himself the better QB I don't have a problem with that. Either way Flowers will play. He's just too good of a playmaker to sit him out.

+1, well said