• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers ranked #19 2016 starting quarterback by Athlon sports

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

10 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Houston would have boat raced all of those teams, with the possible exception of WVU, the same way they did to Florida State by 2 TD's, and the same way that same Houston did to Rutgers the year Rutgers was in the AAC.

I already admitted I exaggerated about QF vs. PW...it was simply a figure of speech to say QF's numbers are a lot better, passing wise, than PW's.

Perhaps you forgot years like 2010 when a 4 loss UConn won BE, then got routed in Fiesta, and everyone else in BE had 5-8 losses.

WVU was great, no doubt, during most of the Rich Rod era.  Syracuse was beyond terrible most of the time.  Pitt and Rutgers weren't special outside of a couple good teams.  SMU routed Pitt in a bowl a couple years ago.

The 2007 team was not better by a landslide.  They were a better, but not a landslide.   The 2015 team set all the offensive records, not 2007.  2007 got routed by 100 (another exaggeration) in the Sun Bowl.  The last 3 games of the regular season this year, is the best I have ever seen USF play offensively for an extended period of time against FBS competition, and the stats bear that out.  And I have been watching USF football since 1997 from game one against Kentucky Wesleyan.

By the way, you conveniently forgot, 2 of the 3 top teams in 2007 in the BE were....Cincinnati and UConn....and guess what, they are still in AAC.

I'm not conveniently forgetting anything. You said I picked 2006 because it was a great year for the Big East. I picked 2006 because Pat White was a sophomore that season. If you were to make the same comment after Q's junior year (assuming he isn't replaced by Woulard), I would compare White's junior year (which would be 2007 - another great year for the Big East). His sophomore season was a point of reference vice me cherry picking White's best season (which was his senior year).

The records that were set by the 2015 team were (IN MY OPINION) against weaker competition across the board. The bowl team that took us down (Western Kentucky) was ranked 88th in the nation. The defenses that we faced down the stretch were ranked 33rd (Temple), 79th (Cincinnati) and 114th (UCF). The best defense we faced all season finished 16th (Florida State). The worst was 119th (SMU). That 2007 team faced four defenses ranked in the top 12 that season - easily higher than the best team we faced in FSU this past season.

We had one bad loss in 2007 - to an Oregon team that at one point was ranked #2 in the nation before suffering injury after injury at QB (they beat us with a 4th string QB - who then went on to play professionally in Arena football similar to our star QB Matt Grothe - that was their 4th string QB). Their RB that tore us up... some guy named Jonathan Stewart. We lost three games in a row in 2007 (by a total of 15 points). 

Let's look at 2015. Blown out by FSU and Maryland. We lost a close one to Memphis. The Navy game was closer than the score IMO. We did close hard in the WKU game - but they were up by 17 points going into the 4th quarter. Really wasn't much different than the Oregon game when Oregon put us away in the 3rd quarter.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, The Sheriff said:

I'm not conveniently forgetting anything. You said I picked 2006 because it was a great year for the Big East. I picked 2006 because Pat White was a sophomore that season. If you were to make the same comment after Q's junior year (assuming he isn't replaced by Woulard), I would compare White's junior year (which would be 2007 - another great year for the Big East). His sophomore season was a point of reference vice me cherry picking White's best season (which was his senior year).

The records that were set by the 2015 team were (IN MY OPINION) against weaker competition across the board. The bowl team that took us down (Western Kentucky) was ranked 88th in the nation. The defenses that we faced down the stretch were ranked 33rd (Temple), 79th (Cincinnati) and 114th (UCF). The best defense we faced all season finished 16th (Florida State). The worst was 119th (SMU). That 2007 team faced four defenses ranked in the top 12 that season - easily higher than the best team we faced in FSU this past season.

We had one bad loss in 2007 - to an Oregon team that at one point was ranked #2 in the nation before suffering injury after injury at QB (they beat us with a 4th string QB - who then went on to play professionally in Arena football similar to our star QB Matt Grothe - that was their 4th string QB). Their RB that tore us up... some guy named Jonathan Stewart. We lost three games in a row in 2007 (by a total of 15 points). 

Let's look at 2015. Blown out by FSU and Maryland. We lost a close one to Memphis. The Navy game was closer than the score IMO. We did close hard in the WKU game - but they were up by 17 points going into the 4th quarter. Really wasn't much different than the Oregon game when Oregon put us away in the 3rd quarter.

Guess we'll disagree then.  IMO the main difference between the AAC and BE is not on the field, but 1) Television $$ 2) BCS tie in 3) Bowl contracts and 4) prestige.  None of which actually equates to on the field performance.  As much as it pains me to say, the UCF team that beat Baylor a couple years ago, would have also routed most of the Big East teams we played.  The teams we are playing are similar performance wise (except the bottom of the AAC), however the prestige and respect factor is far lower in the AAC...IMHO only.  That I will grant you and why the BE was a much better conference. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

More love for the signal caller from Athlon Sports. Top 20 QBs on the Rise.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-20-quarterbacks-rise-2016

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Mike White goes from one QB competition to another, and is not expected to be the starter there either. On the QBs to watch list...

Nelson Fishback, WKU

western-kentucky-hilltoppers.pngBrandon Doughty will be tough to replace, but the Hilltoppers should still have one of the top offenses in Conference USA next season. Fishback worked as Doughty’s backup last year and faces competition from transfers Mike White (USF) and Tyler Ferguson (Louisville) for the starting job.

Personally I hope he can grab the spot, good kid.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

33 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Fishback worked as Doughty’s backup last year and faces competition from transfers Mike White (USF) and Tyler Ferguson (Louisville) for the starting job.

Talk about a small world ....