• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF WBB at SMU 2pm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,697
  • Days Won:  7

11 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

We don't have a bench that can replace Jenkins and Ferreria.  Combined they average 20 pts and 16 boards per game.  

That's simply due to lack of opportunity,  not necessarily a tremendous drop off in talent. McCullough came off the bench last night and played for the first time in her career and she's a sophomore. She did very well in her limited minutes last night. When you have the majority of minutes and points coming from Courtney, Laura, Katija, Alicia, and Springfield, then obviously the bench is going to score a low average. I'm not concerned,  we are a well rounded team and new players step up all the time. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

1 hour ago, Ned A Starr said:

You must be new to USF WBB.  Trimaine is a junior, she played in 14 games during her freshman season (2013/14) including 5 starts, before a torn ACL ended her year...She redshirted last year.

What new players do we have to fill Laura and Alisia's shoes?

BTW, it's Stringfield not Springfield.

To be fair, the announcers repeatedly said during the broadcast that it was McCullough's first time on the court EVER.  Also, if she redshirted last season, wouldn't that mean she has 2 additional seasons to play?

Edited by Sellular1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

23 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

You must be new to USF WBB.  Trimaine is a junior, she played in 14 games during her freshman season (2013/14) including 5 starts, before a torn ACL ended her year...She redshirted last year.

So... that makes her a RS Sophomore

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

14 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

How does a bone bruise happen?
This type of injury can be a result of repetitive trauma or stress where the inside of the bone is damaged, resulting in bleeding into the damaged area.  It can also happen as a result of acute trauma, where forces are not strong enough to fracture the outer bone, but are strong enough to fracture the inner layer of bone.

Caused by the high ankle sprain? Or at least a contributor?

50 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

The same announcer that repeatedly called Maria Jespersen...."Jess person".

As I said, the poster must be new to USF WBB, or he/she would have known that the announcers were wrong.

Don't know if I would call somebody "new to USF WBB" because they believed the announcers and didn't remember somebody playing 2 years ago in a few games that averaged 2 points in those games.   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

USF Athletic lists her as a Junior on the roster, in her official bio, and on the game programs.

But since she red shirted last year, why isn't she listed as a sophomore?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

16 minutes ago, Triple B said:

But since she red shirted last year, why isn't she listed as a sophomore?

I don't know this to be a fact, and I am not speaking of this particular player. But USF doesn't have to offer a 5th year scholarship to any player. Could it be that as far as USF is concerned she is in her second to last season, and thus a Junior. After her "senior day" next year, if she wanted to play another year somewhere else, the new school can determine what to classify the player as. 

Once again, I am not speaking to this player, but I have seen players have senior days because they are graduating from school even though they might be eligible for an extra year because either the player or the school does not wish to add another year to the scholarship.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

4 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I don't know this to be a fact, and I am not speaking of this particular player. But USF doesn't have to offer a 5th year scholarship to any player. Could it be that as far as USF is concerned she is in her second to last season, and thus a Junior. After her "senior day" next year, if she wanted to play another year somewhere else, the new school can determine what to classify the player as. 

Once again, I am not speaking to this player, but I have seen players have senior days because they are graduating from school even though they might be eligible for an extra year because either the player or the school does not wish to add another year to the scholarship.

Did check to see if the NCAA has anything on it and they did:

CLASS LISTING IN ROSTERS
A student-athlete’s class (Fr., So., Jr., Sr.) should always be listed by eligibility on rosters to be used by NCAA statistics. For example, a player who is a sophomore academically but redshirted his freshman year should be listed on the roster as a freshman since he still has four years of eligibility remaining. A graduate student in his or her last year of eligibility should be listed as a senior

That would indicate it's not the school's choice on what the roster designation is  ... at least on the roster sent to ncaa with stats.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  

On this we agree.

2 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Don't know, but she was listed as a sophomore on the roster and in program last year.

I remember some long winded discussion on TBP about red shirts and not actually being granted one until your 5th year.