• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Navy Will Look To Chop Down The Trees

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

That's great to know that our coaches have experience against Georgia Tech and Navy.  A pain in the *** of an offense.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

That's great to know that our coaches have experience against Georgia Tech and Navy.  A pain in the *** of an offense.  

I think we would be toast if he hadn't coached against them in he past. The experience of preparing for the triple option will pay off in this game. IF, and it is a moderately big if, USF can pull this one out, I would have to think that we would have a legitimate shot at running the table. From a match-up perspective, this is by far and away our most difficult remaining game on the schedule. I have watch enough of Cincy/ECU/Temple this season to safely say that we match-up well against all three of those teams and should have a good to very good chance of winning. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Don't forget that we can run a version or have run a version of that flexbone triple option. As long as our guys stay disiplined and play their assignments, we should be just fine.

Defense has to attack their "guy" and let the rest happen. I like our chances as we have some great speed but I worry that if we don't wrap up and make tackles it could get ugly and we may have to win in a shootout with a tired defense and who knows how healthy QF and Mack will be. Not to mention the weather being below 60 degrees.

Ugh, I hope we just do what it takes to get the win and get back home injury free.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Cut blocking:  Blocking a defensive player in the lower portion of his body.  Perfectly legal as long as within tackle box.

Chop blocking:  Cut blocking a player that is already engaged with another player.  Illegal.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Cut blocking:  Blocking a defensive player in the lower portion of his body.  Perfectly legal as long as within tackle box.

Chop blocking:  Cut blocking a player that is already engaged with another player.  Illegal.

The majority of their low blocks will be cut blocks but there will certainly be some chop blocks that happen too. It's just a matter of if those actually get called..... 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Don't forget that we can run a version or have run a version of that flexbone triple option. As long as our guys stay disiplined and play their assignments, we should be just fine.

Defense has to attack their "guy" and let the rest happen. I like our chances as we have some great speed but I worry that if we don't wrap up and make tackles it could get ugly and we may have to win in a shootout with a tired defense and who knows how healthy QF and Mack will be. Not to mention the weather being below 60 degrees.

Ugh, I hope we just do what it takes to get the win and get back home injury free.

This is the key.  You do your job and only your job!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

It should be in the 50s, about like UConn.  Weather should not be a factor and not a big deal.  If a team can't play in the 50's then shut it down.   

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

It should be in the 50s, about like UConn.  Weather should not be a factor and not a big deal.  If a team can't play in the 50's then shut it down.   

Weather wasn't mentioned as being a "factor" but I guess I should have mentioned being an issue with Mack's hamstring.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

I think we would be toast if he hadn't coached against them in he past. The experience of preparing for the triple option will pay off in this game. IF, and it is a moderately big if, USF can pull this one out, I would have to think that we would have a legitimate shot at running the table. From a match-up perspective, this is by far and away our most difficult remaining game on the schedule. I have watch enough of Cincy/ECU/Temple this season to safely say that we match-up well against all three of those teams and should have a good to very good chance of winning. 

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. This is the toughest game left on our schedule. I don't particularly like how we matchup against Navy defensively, but we probably have better athletes. The only thing I can think of that will help us is that defending the Diamond set / inverted wishbone thing that we run is essentially the same thing as the triple option, in that it requires really really disciplined defense. We can replicate the hell out of that in practice -- so that gives us a pretty big preperation advantage on defense. 

Navy has a pretty darn good defense. Not sure how we'll be able to respond, but giving them a taste of their own medicine will be really, really nice (Diamond set all day long). I expect a really physical game on both sides of the ball. We need Adams to catch the **** ball when we go deep on Saturday.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725

His WKU team played Navy back in 2011. It was a 40-14 loss at home. Navy rushed the ball 57 times for 410 yards. They only passed 7 times, but two of those went for TDs. Their team couldn't keep up physically with Navy. Hopefully CWT learned from that experience. 

Interestingly, that year's WKU team started out 0-4 before figuring things out and ending the season winning 7 out of 8. In those first 4 losses, they scored a TOTAL of 55 points (13.75 ppg) in their last 8 games they scored 27.5 ppg, and that number was skewed by a 9 point performance against #1 LSU. The similarities to this season's team are there. Let's hope the on-field results continue.  

He got asked about the WKU game in in the press conference. He stated something like "Well, we lost big, so I will not be using that game plan"

Edited by ssgCraigO