• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who should we hire to be the Head Football Coach in 2016

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Does it address his actual lack of success?

Read it.

That was a chance for you to contribute something positive to the group.  I won't read it, I'm not interested in Schiano.  Thanks.

The point of the article was about someone trying to better himself, and those that read it got something from it. Your not reading it and somehow putting it on me is ridiculous.

Hey, I value your recap abilities man...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Does it address his actual lack of success?

Read it.

That was a chance for you to contribute something positive to the group. I won't read it, I'm not interested in Schiano. Thanks.

The point of the article was about someone trying to better himself, and those that read it got something from it. Your not reading it and somehow putting it on me is ridiculous.

Hey, I value your recap abilities man...

That article had a lot in it to recap. I don't want to take anything away from it because it wasn't a fluff piece, it was about someone looking in the mirror and trying to change. Plus there was interesting bits about other programs like Bama and its individualized custom post workout shakes. Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

We will find a way to screw the pooch, throw up a few billboards, maybe a catchy video, and be back to ******** again...

I have little faith at this point we will get the right hire....

We need a CEO, not a glorified and overpaid play caller.....

Honestly; Butch Davis, Charlie Strong (if cut ), Larry Coker, or Bill Lazor would be my top picks. I'd like to see Allen stay though.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

We will find a way to screw the pooch, throw up a few billboards, maybe a catchy video, and be back to ******** again...

I have little faith at this point we will get the right hire....

We need a CEO, not a glorified and overpaid play caller.....

Honestly; Butch Davis, Charlie Strong (if cut ), Larry Coker, or Bill Lazor would be my top picks. I'd like to see Allen stay though.

I'd love Coker. Give him a blank check to hire someone to be his protege and when Coker turns 100 in a few years, hand it off.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Not too fond of Butch Davis.  Partially because of the academic things at NC, partially because of what he started with my Browns :c  Quaterbacks galore.  Not sure he'd solve that problem here!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

One thing I really hope is NOT a concern: Florida and/or USF ties. 

I don't care. Personally I hope it's someone with no ties to the program (sorry Magee fans) and if the guy happens to not be from or never coached in Florida, so be it. 

Now.. that's not to say I want some guy coming in here from say, Pennsylvania, and then attempts to bring in a bunch of PA guys. (Or guys from the Dom Republic cough Antigua cough)  -- there's plenty of talent here to do 75-90% of your recruiting in state, but you can bring in assistant coaches who know/work the area to do that part for you. The HC's main job should be to win. 

Perhaps set aside a little more for assistants too.. Since the first wave of Leavitt guys started leaving, the assistants at USF haven't exactly dazzled.. 

Buckeye- very good list BTW

Agree.  Assistants are very important to pay well.  This was just the list of HC's that are proven winners.  Didn't look at DC's or OC's of the Power 5 yet.  Figured we would want a proven guy.

Oh yeah.. that was a very good list you made.. nobody's asking you to do an assistant roundup!

Just spitballing.. I liked some of the moves Leavitt made like Macartney (sp) {former HC with a good track record} L. Dawsey (up and comer with good knowledge base of recruiting area) guys like that.. perhaps try and pluck a guy or 2 off some prep powerhouses like St. Thomas Aquinas to get you an "in" with the South Florida area...

And I'd be on board with retaining Tom Allen, he probably deserves a little more time, and I already like what I see more than I did with Cosh and retread guy last season.

I really don't want a "retread" guy like Coker or Butch Davis.. we can see how little that's working in Tampa with Lovie. And I'd worry they may just be looking for 1 more paycheck without really trying to do much, kind of like the (lack of) coaching job Skip did here.. And with those 2, neither has really done anything of note in the past decade.

Now Strong.. I dunno if UT bails this early on him, but yeah, that's a guy who can recruit FL, knows defense, is open to up tempo offenses, and prior to Texas, which is just a whole different animal, has had recent success at his prior stops. My only concern is that he may be mentally checked out if he's going from fired at a major college power to...whatever USF is now. That said, if he was available and wanted the gig, I'd snatch him up before he could blink.

Woolard seemed to be way too worried about a coach leaving USF for greener pastures.. But to me, IF that happens, that means USF has experienced success under that coach, and will be attractive to other coaches if it became available.. that's a much better scenario than having coaches nobody wants, inside or outside Tampa. 

Edited by cambodia36
  • Upvote 1

No more G6. Need at the very least a successful P5 coordinator.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

I just don't want to be some guy's first foray into head coaching.  If he sucks, we get three more years of no bowls and no hope.  I'd like a guy with head coaching experience who can win.  And not get us in trouble with the NCAA :P

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Mack Brown may still be available when the time comes ...

Jay Gruden may be available.