• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

79% Of Football Players Tested Had CTE

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

From high school to NFL. 96% of NFL players tested had CTE. This is huge for the sport.

"Ann McKee, who runs the lab, told PBS the results are consistent with past findings and should be taken seriously.

"People think that we're blowing this out of proportion, that this is a very rare disease and that we're sensationalizing it," McKee said. "My response is that where I sit, this is a very real disease. We have had no problem identifying it in hundreds of players."

The research also showed 40 percent of those who tested positive for the disease played on the offensive or defensive line. It's raised further concerns about the long-term effects of repeated, smaller hits to the head as compared to the bigger, single hits that often knock a player out of a game with a concussion."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2568956-87-deceased-nfl-players-test-positive-for-cte-according-to-pbs-report?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Edited by slick1ru2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Prolly from smokin too much weed

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

Prolly from smokin too much weed

So much for taking it seriously.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804
  • Days Won:  0

Here is the key statement:

"In turn, players who donated their brains to the researchers often believed they were dealing with a problem before they passed away, which could affect the numbers."

So it is not a random sampling of all "Football players" but rather on a test on those that thought there were issues. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Here is the key statement:

"In turn, players who donated their brains to the researchers often believed they were dealing with a problem before they passed away, which could affect the numbers."

So it is not a random sampling of all "Football players" but rather on a test on those that thought there were issues. 

This is a good point, but I still think there is cause for concern.

I seem to have a minority opinion, but I think the changes and the raised awareness is going to have a serious positive impact on these numbers. The mentality toward head injuries is now much more cautious than it was 15 years ago. I think we're going to see this help bring down these numbers.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

More evidence that the best position on the field is the PK.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

Beginning of then end for football being American's biggest sport?

Association Football, anyone?

While I am glad this is coming to light I would also like to see duration of playing years. Obviously we are not going to be able to quantify the number of concussions but rather the number of playing years. Case in point is Junior Seau who was in the NFl for almost 20 years which does not include college or before college. Also you have to factor in steroid use plus any other drug involvement such as alcohol abuse and pain killers. So many variables.  While it is obvious there is a link between football and CTE it may or may not be the lone contributing factor.  I hope they make it safer for players. I mean I remember that little foam insert in high school and that thing did not stop anything.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Things have certainly changed. My wife and I actually pulled our son out of peewee football a couple years ago because of this stuff. Amazing how hard 8-9 year old are getting hit in the head. Scary!

• Upvote 1

Things have certainly changed. My wife and I actually pulled our son out of peewee football a couple years ago because of this stuff. Amazing how hard 8-9 year old are getting hit in the head. Scary!

HOnestly we are doing flag football right now. I told my son if he wants to play when he gets to highschool no problem but no use getting your head beat in until its necessary.