• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

79% Of Football Players Tested Had CTE

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

Here is the key statement:

"In turn, players who donated their brains to the researchers often believed they were dealing with a problem before they passed away, which could affect the numbers."

So it is not a random sampling of all "Football players" but rather on a test on those that thought there were issues. 

They also have high school player brains and brains of players that had no symptoms that tested positive. Watch the free documentary already done on it and learn.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

While I am glad this is coming to light I would also like to see duration of playing years. Obviously we are not going to be able to quantify the number of concussions but rather the number of playing years. Case in point is Junior Seau who was in the NFl for almost 20 years which does not include college or before college. Also you have to factor in steroid use plus any other drug involvement such as alcohol abuse and pain killers. So many variables.  While it is obvious there is a link between football and CTE it may or may not be the lone contributing factor.  I hope they make it safer for players. I mean I remember that little foam insert in high school and that thing did not stop anything.

They have high school players with it they tested.

If you've watched League of Denial, check out all the interviews including by former Bucs player Tom McHale's former wife.      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/oral-history/league-of-denial/

Army,

We have daughters so no decisions had to be made. My wife had said pre kids no football. I played for 12 years and loved it. Football is on the decline for so many reasons. This is a big one. It continues to be "urbanized" with more affluent families playing other sports. My fear is in two generations it could be gone.

I wouldn't say its more "urbanized". This poll suggests the defining catagory against having their children in football are the wealthy and better educated. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and more than one school has Jumbotrons, its fanatical here.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/football-high/poll-wealthy-college-educated-less-likely-to-want-kids-to-play-football/

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Army,

We have daughters so no decisions had to be made. My wife had said pre kids no football. I played for 12 years and loved it. Football is on the decline for so many reasons. This is a big one. It continues to be "urbanized" with more affluent families playing other sports. My fear is in two generations it could be gone.

I wondered that myself.  I grew up loving football, playing watching, all of it.  Would never have imagined that it would come to this.  But I tell, ya, it is something when you watch you little 8 year old boy in a head on collision and get up wobbling.  Ignorance was truly bliss back in the day, but we know too much now.  Like Bullrush said, we are doing the flag football thing now and I am not even sure we would allow our son to play in high school.  I know my wife does not want him to.  Like you though, I think it may eventually be gone or change drastically.      

Edited by ArmyBull

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Unfortunately every sport will always carry risks. Football is worse than most though and this is why I think soccer will become a big sport within 20 years. The game will have to change or it will be gone.

Unfortunately every sport will always carry risks. Football is worse than most though and this is why I think soccer will become a big sport within 20 years. The game will have to change or it will be gone.

Uh, HBO Real Sports just did a segment on concussions and soccer especially with children. They discovered that thousands of kids are having problems and soccer from heading and collisions. Doctors are recommending the kids should not do headers in soccer under the age of like 14. And even then there's problems.

http://youtu.be/hT-f29EbxPA

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

Army,

That's what people said about boxing. Instead we got UFC which is many times worse than boxing. There will be a market for a violent sport and has been for thousands of years. Football may be different but it will still be there and the fundamentals will remain the same.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Uh, HBO Real Sports just did a segment on concussions and soccer especially with children. They discovered that thousands of kids are having problems and soccer from heading and collisions. Doctors are recommending the kids should not do headers in soccer under the age of like 14. And even then there's problems.

http://youtu.be/hT-f29EbxPA

i didn't coach last year, but I coached youth football the previous 8 years. The last two years our league and the national organization made a major push and strong point of emphasis toward concussion safety.

I don't recall the program's name (I think it was "Heads Up"), but part of it was that all coaches on the sidelines had to be certified in concussion safety and recognition. We also offered free baseline testing for the kids by a Physician that specialized in concussions (concussion injuries are so prominent that she runs a medical practice dedicated solely to the treatment of sports related concussions). Interesting enough she told us the sport that produces most concussions she treats is soccer.

In the last few years there has been a huge emphasis on safety. From equipment (supposedly the egg crate things that some leagues where on their helmets reduce head impact by 33%) to the number and length of contact practices allowed) to awareness and proper coaching/teaching programs. These are all goods steps in the right direction.

Unfortunately, it's looking like it's not just concussions but those jarring blows that occur more frequently where you briefly see stars that is being shown to also cause it. They found it in players with no medical history of concussions.

Again, watch the videos. The NFL knows this is a huge problem which they tried to cover it up. They went to the point of ridiculing real research in peer reviewed medical journals because they had influence with the editor.