• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Difference was clear between USF and this team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Here is where I knew CSH was not going to be successful.   Also, this is the level that we need to strive for.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I did not have any illusions that we would win that game. I do remember there were two games kind of early in Skip's first season that gave indications he was in over his head.

I recall being frustrated watching him keep the reins on BJ to run in the Syracuse game. I remember thinking this guy doesn't understand how to use the type of athlete's he has.

The other moment was the end of the first half against WVU. I think we were leading and had the ball fairly deep in our own end. All he had to do was run out the clock and we go into halftime with a lead and momentum. Instead they ran some stupid, risky play. BJ threw an INT, killed our momentum and it went downhill from there. The thing that told me that Skip was going to have a tough time here was that I believe it was the third time he showed poor game/clock management skills so early in the season. The same thing happened in the Florida game and killed any momentum we had.

Clock/game management in the last 4 minutes of a game/half tells me a lot about a coach's strategic skills and is where coaches can have a direct impact on the outcome of a game.

Unfortunately, Skip made a lot of blunders like that in his time here. Just off the top of my head I remember him having to defend not knowing which personnel was on the field at critical times, confusion about time outs, etc.

I was a big Leavitt fan. He was not so great down the stretch either. If he would have managed the game better in the last couple of minutes I believe we would have won the voodoo five game and I recall a couple of other dumb moves at critical times.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

I still feel that Leavitt would have won that game. UF was just starting is descend. I still can't understand why CSH stopped doing everything offensively that was working in the first half.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761

We wouldve won that game with Leavitt. Hands down no doubt about it. He knew what to do when the team smelled blood.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Not sure if we had the depth or talent to win, but it would have been closer at tge end.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Not sure if we had the depth or talent to win, but it would have been closer at tge end.

Depth was the major issue in that game, and Leavitt would have had that same problem.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I don't mind kicking Skip but the UF game was not the game that showed he couldn't coach here. IT was, by all accounts, blistering hot and we had depth issues.  Also, the first drive was a thing of beauty and had he used BJ in that fashion every game he would still be coaching here.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  262

Ah, the Florida game.  As I recall, BJ completed more passes to UF DBs than our WRs.  We were tied at halftime... Oh what could have been lol.

Edit:  Okay, he was 6-23, and threw 4 INTs.  

Edited by BullsBoltsJagsRays

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I don't mind kicking Skip but the UF game was not the game that showed he couldn't coach here. IT was, by all accounts, blistering hot and we had depth issues.  Also, the first drive was a thing of beauty and had he used BJ in that fashion every game he would still be coaching here.

Absolutely spot-on. Man, the Swamp felt miserable for that game. Even with most of the fans defecting to get into the shade at Ben Hill Griffin, I couldn't peel myself off the bench and sat through that entire game start to finish. I'll never forget how quiet that stadium was for those first few USF drives.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Absolutely spot-on. Man, the Swamp felt miserable for that game. Even with most of the fans defecting to get into the shade at Ben Hill Griffin, I couldn't peel myself off the bench and sat through that entire game start to finish. I'll never forget how quiet that stadium was for those first few USF drives.

At half time, UF fans were shocked, but then the second half started and it was night and day.