• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who's the starting QB?

Who's the starting QB?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

okay, so I'm listening to all you guys' great comments (mostly) based on observations at camp, and I'm hearing pretty consistently that Bench's reads are about where they were the last couple of years, while QF's reads have improved dramatically. For me, if a senior doesn't have this stuff down like a boss by now (esp being the son of a coach), he doesn't get the nod IMHO. QB is the one spot on the field I want the best decision-makers.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

What I saw on Saturday in Steven Bench was a QB who made some nice throws and some poor decisions who also had a nice TD run.

What I saw on Saturday in Quinton Flowers was a RB trying to play QB.

I was there on Saturday and totally agree with you.    Same situation as last year with QF.    He's a RB trying to play QB.

Luckily this offense is a college offense and a running QB is ideal.  Nick Marshall was  a DB being successful as a QB in this system and he couldn't throw at all.  Cool right?

Yes, but Nick Marshall also became the #1 Dual Threat JUCO QB, so it's hard to compare. Marshall was also about 3 inches taller than Quinton.

He was the #1 Dual Threat QB in JUCO?  Link please... that should be easy for you to find.  Most schools recruited him as a DB even in Juco.  Auburn needed a running qb for the system and took him.  I mean that's not a hard thing to prove and he being 3 inches taller than Flowers matter when running this offense?  I still don't think any of you actually knew what type of spread it was until camp started.  I still don't think you understand it.

Again, we understand the system. I don't know why you have to act so superior to everyone, like we're morons or something. A lot of people have seen Flowers the last week and just aren't as high on him as you are. I'm hoping he can turn it around in the next 19 days since he'll probably be the starter. Here's the link you wanted:

Nick Marshall

6-2, 210 | Class of 2013

Scout Grade

1 POSITION      

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/170893/nick-marshall

He was Rated as AN  ATHLETE ... HE WAS NOT THE NUMBER 1 DUAL THREAT.  Jesus do you even follow recruiting?  I know his recruitment... Auburn initially had him at DB and moved him.  This stuff is all over 247 where you actually got that and misunderstood it.  I knew what you were trying to say but you don't follow recruiting so you don't know.  And you were wrong...  smh  :facepalm:  :lmao:

This is actually ridiculous.  You're just throwing things out without knowing you're proving yourself wrong.  uuugggh

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Nick Marshall was a **** fine QB at Auburn. Would you not want a QB with a 60% completion percentage and a 34:13 TD:INT ratio?

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I'm starting to question if you guys even know the offense we're running this season.... more or less the guys running it.  It's ok though... keep believing Nick Marshall was a good passer.  lol  

:lmao:

As you will see in many post above this is the type of production we need 10-20 completions a game with more passing TDs than INTs. Think uou are selling NM a little short. If either guy puts up those numbers passing at USF we will be bowling for sure.

we don't need 20 completions a game to win in this offense.  Have you even watched an Auburn game?  The year they played FSU for the title, his first year playing QB there... he only once completed more than 17 passes in a game.  Stats don't lie..

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nick-marshall-2/gamelog/2013/

I love how the stats break down your point, your bring up straw-man arguments, and question knowledge. Best sign of a weak argument. Instead of doing the same lets see if this clarifies it for ya a bit...

• 10-20 mean anything in between 10 to 20 passes, it could be 10, 11, 12...20. See how that works :D
  • No one said he was Peyton Manning just a better passer than we have had at USF for several years including what Flowers did last year. 

See the following:

Nick Marshall

Passing                                              Rushing

Year Team Comp Att Yds TD INT Rate  Att Yds Avg TD

2013 Auburn 142 239 1,976 14 6 143.2 172 1068 6.2 12

2014 Auburn 178 293 2,532 20 7 148.7 153 798 5.2 11

Mike White - Career Statistics

Passing                                                             Rushing

Year GP-GS COMP ATT PCT YDS TD INT YDS/G ATT YDS TD

2013 6-5 93 175 53.1 1,083 3 9 180.5                   14 -43 0

2014 11-10 122 242 50.4 1,639 8 7 149.0              29 -85 0

Steven Bench - Career Statistics

2013 7-2 26 64 40.6 392 2 3 56.0                          7 -30 0

2014 6-1 49 100 49.0 611 3 2 101.8                      16 -15 1

Quinton Flowers - Career Statistics

2014 5-1 8 20 40.0 111 0 2 22.2                           13 73 0

You are literally comparing two different offenses and trying to draw a correlation.  The only correlation you will be able to draw would be from this years sample when they would have all been in the same offense.  No straw man at all... but you are guilty of a questionable analogy... apples and oranges.  I'm beginning to think you don't actually know anything about football.  Have  you actually ever played football?  and been good at it?  

I would be stunned to see either QB put up Nick Marshall's passing numbers. Just below 60% completion and 2:1 and 3:1 TD:INT ratios. New system with new receivers are not conducive to those types of numbers. Would love to be wrong.

However, the one Nick Marshall number I would like to see is the roughly 20 pass attempts a game. That's a good number for us. The difference between where we are 40-50% to 60% is not huge as it is 2-4 plays a game. Not impossible.

Also, I understand the thought of needing the pass game to force defenses out of man and into zone. I think you can get there in reverse by having the QB run and making the defense stay in lanes so you can pass. Of course I don't get paid anything to figure this out.

I agree...  I argue nothing I think you're correct.

LOL. He just restated the numbers I just posted... Ok I give up... you win Cali... you win...

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

Nick Marshall was a **** fine QB at Auburn. Would you not want a QB with a 60% completion percentage and a 34:13 TD:INT ratio?

If anyone said they wouldn't want Nick Marshall or his numbers that person should be banned.

I'm starting to question if you guys even know the offense we're running this season.... more or less the guys running it.  It's ok though... keep believing Nick Marshall was a good passer.  lol  

As you will see in many post above this is the type of production we need 10-20 completions a game with more passing TDs than INTs. Think uou are selling NM a little short. If either guy puts up those numbers passing at USF we will be bowling for sure.

we don't need 20 completions a game to win in this offense.  Have you even watched an Auburn game?  The year they played FSU for the title, his first year playing QB there... he only once completed more than 17 passes in a game.  Stats don't lie..

I love how the stats break down your point, your bring up straw-man arguments, and question knowledge. Best sign of a weak argument. Instead of doing the same lets see if this clarifies it for ya a bit...

• 10-20 mean anything in between 10 to 20 passes, it could be 10, 11, 12...20. See how that works :D
  • No one said he was Peyton Manning just a better passer than we have had at USF for several years including what Flowers did last year. 

See the following:

Nick Marshall

You are literally comparing two different offenses and trying to draw a correlation.  The only correlation you will be able to draw would be from this years sample when they would have all been in the same offense.  No straw man at all... but you are guilty of a questionable analogy... apples and oranges.  I'm beginning to think you don't actually know anything about football.  Have  you actually ever played football?  and been good at it?  

Tis is a straw man to accuse people of saying NM was a great passing QB, as no one wrote that. Also going personal and questioning a posters knowledge when you are clearly incorrect is not a good look for ya man. Just accept it and move on.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

If anyone said they wouldn't want Nick Marshall or his numbers that person should be banned.

See the following:

Nick Marshall

I would be stunned to see either QB put up Nick Marshall's passing numbers. Just below 60% completion and 2:1 and 3:1 TD:INT ratios. New system with new receivers are not conducive to those types of numbers. Would love to be wrong.

However, the one Nick Marshall number I would like to see is the roughly 20 pass attempts a game. That's a good number for us. The difference between where we are 40-50% to 60% is not huge as it is 2-4 plays a game. Not impossible.

Also, I understand the thought of needing the pass game to force defenses out of man and into zone. I think you can get there in reverse by having the QB run and making the defense stay in lanes so you can pass. Of course I don't get paid anything to figure this out.

I agree...  I argue nothing I think you're correct.

LOL. He just restated the numbers I just posted... Ok I give up... you win Cali... you win...

No... If you think you two are saying the same thing you're as stupid as your post.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

What I saw on Saturday in Steven Bench was a QB who made some nice throws and some poor decisions who also had a nice TD run.

I was there on Saturday and totally agree with you.    Same situation as last year with QF.    He's a RB trying to play QB.

Luckily this offense is a college offense and a running QB is ideal.  Nick Marshall was  a DB being successful as a QB in this system and he couldn't throw at all.  Cool right?

Yes, but Nick Marshall also became the #1 Dual Threat JUCO QB, so it's hard to compare. Marshall was also about 3 inches taller than Quinton.

He was the #1 Dual Threat QB in JUCO?  Link please... that should be easy for you to find.  Most schools recruited him as a DB even in Juco.  Auburn needed a running qb for the system and took him.  I mean that's not a hard thing to prove and he being 3 inches taller than Flowers matter when running this offense?  I still don't think any of you actually knew what type of spread it was until camp started.  I still don't think you understand it.

Again, we understand the system. I don't know why you have to act so superior to everyone, like we're morons or something. A lot of people have seen Flowers the last week and just aren't as high on him as you are. I'm hoping he can turn it around in the next 19 days since he'll probably be the starter. Here's the link you wanted:

Nick Marshall

6-2, 210 | Class of 2013

Scout Grade

1 POSITION      

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/170893/nick-marshall

He was Rated as AN  ATHLETE ... HE WAS NOT THE NUMBER 1 DUAL THREAT.  Jesus do you even follow recruiting?  I know his recruitment... Auburn initially had him at DB and moved him.  This stuff is all over 247 where you actually got that and misunderstood it.  I knew what you were trying to say but you don't follow recruiting so you don't know.  And you were wrong...  smh  :facepalm:  :lmao:

This is actually ridiculous.  You're just throwing things out without knowing you're proving yourself wrong.  uuugggh

You asked for a link that stated he was the #1 DT QB and I gave it to you. I don't care what position Auburn wanted to use him as originally. He was being recuited to play QB by top schools in the country. Auburn would've been stupid to use him as a db. Here it is again man:

#1 QB-DT (JC)

I gotta figure this out... How do you post media... like pics etc?  This doesn't seem to want embeds..

Edited by Calibull

Nick Marshall

6-2, 210 | Class of 2013

Scout Grade

1 POSITION      

You asked for a link that stated he was the #1 DT QB and I gave it to you. I don't care what position Auburn wanted to use him as originally. He was being recuited to play QB by top schools in the country. Auburn would've been stupid to use him as a db. Here it is again man:

#1 QB-DT (JC)

LOL the link above even states he was originally a pocket passer in high school and developed into a dual threat runner. Makes sense with the passer rating and numbers he put up:

"(Done for the Class of 2013) Marshall has developed far more into a dual-threat runner as opposed to the pocket passer he was in high school. He has added bulk and has adequate height. He is a fluid with good foot speed and can be a dangerous runner when he..."