• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who's the starting QB?

Who's the starting QB?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I voted just based on the discussions. Didn't see anything in person to base opinion FWIW

I was thinking the same thing.

I just don't see a QB who cant move the chains with his arm doing well. I think it's clear from the poll that most believe that Flowers legs will be a difference maker but we saw how that did last year.

The only thing that I see that can be realistically improved from now until the first game against FAMU is Bench making better decisions. If he can take care of the ball its a no brainer that he should start. I actually think he might have more rushing TD in camp then Flowers does which means something even in touch ball...Definelty did in the spring game...

If you have seen Flowers throw he just isn't there yet and his legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet to make me think he's anywhere near BJ or Grothe. Both of those guys could throw the ball...

Not trying not knock QF I just want him to do well and the team do well and from what I have seen I dont want to hope that he magically pulls something off. I want the best option in at QB....

Not being picky... but they are playing two handed touch on the QBs and for a guy who's legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet there seems to be a lot of clips of him breaking contain and running downfield... I think the general consensus amongst the majority of people is that Flowers is a far better runner and athlete than Bench. You are likely one of 2 people who questions who's the better runner. Everyone's gripe is they thought he'd be a better passer... which he's not. That's the reason many think just go with the read option and run... he'll hit some passes. But just on tape from practice he's more athletic than Grothe... but Grothe was a leader and a good football player. He understood how to play the game. It remains to be seen if Flowers can do that... I honestly have no faith in Bench. None.

I mentioned it was touch in an earlier journal entry, I mean post (there getting lengthy lol). I think my argument is a little more nuanced than the way you are describing it. I am not questioning who is the better athlete. What I am saying is I believe QF better running ability and athleticism will not materialize into an asset until he can throw the ball with some consistency. Until that happens I think Bench is the better option. He has shown he can score with his feet and arm more so than QF. We need six wins and I don't think throwing QF at this stage is our best option.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

This.

I just don't see a QB who cant move the chains with his arm doing well. I think it's clear from the poll that most believe that Flowers legs will be a difference maker but we saw how that did last year.

The only thing that I see that can be realistically improved from now until the first game against FAMU is Bench making better decisions. If he can take care of the ball its a no brainer that he should start. I actually think he might have more rushing TD in camp then Flowers does which means something even in touch ball...Definelty did in the spring game...

If you have seen Flowers throw he just isn't there yet and his legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet to make me think he's anywhere near BJ or Grothe. Both of those guys could throw the ball...

Not trying not knock QF I just want him to do well and the team do well and from what I have seen I dont want to hope that he magically pulls something off. I want the best option in at QB....

Leaving aside the personal issues, being a QB in that Stanford offense is much different. That offense is pound the rock and play action pass. QB is supposed to stay in the pocket and make a pass. New offense will mean QB is designed to run with a much more spread out formation so he has space to move. Last year everyone was bunched in, which works if you're trying to go over the top not so much when running.
People remember Grothe's last season - but not his first season... he had issues throwing long (wobble wobble wobble) and locking in on his primary target without going through his progressions... Grothe was a leader, a competitor, and had the heart of a lion... his work ethic and confidence made up for his skills those first couple of seasons.

He was a kid growing into a man, and learned how to read through a progression... learned how to throw a deeper ball.

One thing people forget is that Flowers is just two years removed from being the best kid on the field in most of his games. I am willing to bet that throughout his high school career he rarely had to throw down field more than 15 yards... because he would just run for 20 or 25 or more.

So he never really learned how to throw down field... and last year he played a lot of designed runs and was the scout team QB for many weeks... so it's not like he had much chance to work on that skill.

Yes, the best QB on the team right now is Woulard... but he won't be playing in 2015. I think Flowers will continue to get better... Bench will not. He's had plenty of time to learn how to make decisions, and he keeps having issues.

Having seen them both twice at practice... Flowers is better at making decisions... Flowers is the better runner... Flowers should be our starter and Bench should play only in mop-up duty or if Flowers gets hurt. Taggart should not pull Flowers just because he has a few bad series.

I guess we will have to disagree Jim. It seems to me that you are playing a long term game hoping that QF gets better through trial by fire and that just doesnt cut it for me. No way you fix QFs mechanics in three weeks though he has shown great progress since last year. To me that means give him more time with the 2s and develop him. Don't setup him up to fail.

Bench has scored more in spring game and fall ball, with his feet, in the air, and in real games at the CFB level. In our unofficial poll its clear he's the better passer (and I believe has about the same amount of tunrovers as QF) and we know everthing found on the TBP is fact.

Bench makes bad decisions and has actually thrown a lot more INTs than Flowers (Bench had at least one in every practice, from what I saw and from the reports)... that is a problem for a senior. QF is far better at recognizing WRs are covered and running the ball or throwing it away.

I am not saying QF "needs" time to develop mechanics... I am saying he is not that much different than Grothe was in 2006.

And the unofficial poll has a lot of people who have not seen Bench or Flowers in any practice... They are voting based on what they expect, not what they actaually see... Your poll has as much value as the ones showing Donald Trump leading the GOP. :-)

Basically, if Bench and Flowers are equal, you go with Flowers if only because he has a future here - Bench will be gone. Even if Flowers gets demoted to 2nd string behind Woulard next year, you want that 2nd string to be as good as possible.

Flowers will be good enough to go 12/20 for 200 yards 2 TDs and 1 INT... plus running for 75 yards per game... with 200 yards rushing from Mack/Tice/Johnson and a really good defense and the best punter in the conference (top 5 in the nation)... we should win 7 or 8 games... with a lot of 17-10 or 24-13 scores.

Listen Jim, only a Loser would question the validity of a TBP poll (in my best Trump voice lol)

If QF can post the numbers you mention above I would be ecstatic! But IMO those are more like numbers I expect from SB. I don't think the separation in turn over margin is quite as stark as you have painted it either, while I do think SB has more ints in fall ball by one or two, I believe it has been reported that QF has had a similarly difficult time protecting the ball. SB has also scored more than QF and appears to operate the O better. If they where equal I agree QF is the man, I just think that they are not. We need the QB who can move the O now... I don't think we have the luxury of letting QF develop and lose games in the process. I am saying he is throwing balls into the dirt bc his mechanics are wrong and I am not making any comparison to Grothe bc it's not far to QF at this moment in time (even his first season).

It is much easier to coach some one up to protect the rock IMO. I would love to be proven wrong and have QF light it up if he is chosen and have no intention of gloating if I am right, I just don't believe that is the case atm.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

What I saw on Saturday in Steven Bench was a QB who made some nice throws and some poor decisions who also had a nice TD run.

What I saw on Saturday in Quinton Flowers was a RB trying to play QB.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

It would be funny if with all this ... the team ends up having one of our better seasons.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

It would be funny if with all this ... the team ends up having one of our better seasons.

If we don't have a better season a lot of people will be fired.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

If you put something in water, it will get wet.  Fire burns.  Oily roads can be dangerous.   :thumbsup:

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

Brilliant.

As of now, I don't want to see this happen. I would prefer CWT and Co get it worked out and we get some stability back in the program. You know this is CWT dream job and if he does succeed we will have awesome talent back at USF and he's not going anywhere ie no stepping stone. It would be a great hire. If we sink it up this year I am sure that tune will change.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this year is for all the marbles