• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did I read that Willie is taking none of his coaches?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

But in college, the coaches recruit the talent.

A bad coach can be a great recruiter.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

37 minutes ago, Brad said:

A bad coach can be a great recruiter.

Sure, but recruiting is part of coaching.  So if they are a great recruiter, they aren't that bad a coach because they are great at a big part of their job.  That's all I meant.

Like Raymond Woodie.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough, college coaches have a number responsibilities outside of just pure coaching, including recruiting, fund raising, game planning, etc.

I think I made that comment right after seeing a high school JV team, primarily made of sophomores suffer their second loss since 7th grade.  They are an incredibly talented bunch now led by a dumbass, in his first year, that tells them just to "create."  No plays, no assists.  I don't know if he is lazy or stupid, but they just lost.  It's true, their talent will get them by most opponents and that hides the dumbass.  But when they play an equally or near equally talented team they will get their ass handed to them.  They are masking that he's a problem and he's not helping them play to their highest level or devleop into great players.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

8 hours ago, Brad said:

Fair enough, college coaches have a number responsibilities outside of just pure coaching, including recruiting, fund raising, game planning, etc.

I think I made that comment right after seeing a high school JV team, primarily made of sophomores suffer their second loss since 7th grade.  They are an incredibly talented bunch now led by a dumbass, in his first year, that tells them just to "create."  No plays, no assists.  I don't know if he is lazy or stupid, but they just lost.  It's true, their talent will get them by most opponents and that hides the dumbass.  But when they play an equally or near equally talented team they will get their ass handed to them.  They are masking that he's a problem and he's not helping them play to their highest level or devleop into great players.

Same could be said for teachers. I'm amazed at how lazy some can be (including self at times) and just mail it in. Students (players) are great at "getting by" with or without the guru but to achieve greatness requires great leadership

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

With any level, including high school, its about managing the personalities and clearly defining what you expect your players to do.  Then utilizing the players in the position they are most effective.  Coaching is about fundamentals and getting humans to perform their best.   Some humans need to feel comfortable, some need to be mad, some get bored if they do the same thing over and over, etc.  The "trick" is more psychological than tactical, usually.

+1,000,000

Most underrated aspect is the psychology.  Most overrated thing is playcalling.  

Organizational, management, psychological, and recruiting skills are what set coaches apart at higher levels.  And the management and organizational skills mostly fall to the head coach and admin staff. Find me assistants who can recruit, motivate, and foster leadership.  

• 3 months later...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

On 12/11/2016 at 1:21 AM, Brad said:

At first I thought you were being too hard on yourself and then realized you were talking about someone else.  ;)

Appreciate the kind words CR.