• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bourbon Classic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Some Burbon suggestions from my house:

Buffalo Trail makes a great old fashion.

Wild Turkey American Honey makes a great burbon sour.

Appreciate any comments or other Burbon concoctions.

I generally drink my bourbon straight.  I did read recently that jello shots (typically made with vodka) can be very good by adding some bourbon.  I may try it out sometime.

Just curious, by the way, did you mean Buffalo Trace?  That is a fine bourbon.  Though I somewhat I prefer the deep, smokey taste of Knob Creek.

I have spent the last couple of years trying different bourbons, up and down the scale.  My favorite remains Knob Creek, but I haven't worked my way up in price past Angel's Envy to date.  I've been told that Booker's and Blanton's are superior. 

Big fan of Angel's Envy.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Which bourbon do you all prefer for your Mint Juleps on Derby Day? I always go with Maker's 54, but if be interested in options.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Which bourbon do you all prefer for your Mint Juleps on Derby Day? I always go with Maker's 54, but if be interested in options.

Woodford reserve here.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Don't drink mint juleps, so I couldn't help.  I don't usually mix good bourbon.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Don't drink mint juleps, so I couldn't help.  I don't usually mix good bourbon.

Zachary what I was thinking. Seems crazy to add strong flavors like mint to the good stuff. Might as well use the cheap stuff.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

You mean Makers 46?  As someone else said I'd use a cheap bourbon for Mint Juleps.  Makers used to make a premixed Julep with a green wax top instead of the red head.  Usually found it a month or so before the Derby.  At Churchill Downs they use a cheap pre mix - I think Early Times maybe. 

Some Burbon suggestions from my house:

Buffalo Trail makes a great old fashion.

Wild Turkey American Honey makes a great burbon sour.

Appreciate any comments or other Burbon concoctions.

I generally drink my bourbon straight.  I did read recently that jello shots (typically made with vodka) can be very good by adding some bourbon.  I may try it out sometime.

Just curious, by the way, did you mean Buffalo Trace?  That is a fine bourbon.  Though I somewhat I prefer the deep, smokey taste of Knob Creek.

I have spent the last couple of years trying different bourbons, up and down the scale.  My favorite remains Knob Creek, but I haven't worked my way up in price past Angel's Envy to date.  I've been told that Booker's and Blanton's are superior. 

Big fan of Angel's Envy.

While we were at this event there seems to be some question as to whether Angel's Envy is a "true" bourbon.  It is finished in port barrels. 

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Don't drink mint juleps, so I couldn't help. I don't usually mix good bourbon.

Zachary what I was thinking. Seems crazy to add strong flavors like mint to the good stuff. Might as well use the cheap stuff.

It's Derby Day, so mint juleps. Why use bad bourbon, ever?

Yep, meant 46, thanks! Try it gentlemen, you'll be glad you did. I bought a shaved ice machine just for the occasion. Makes losing money on horses a lot easier to take. ;)

In our house we probably have 7 different kinds.  Since my wife found a few that she liked during the tasting in L'ville we went out and bought Four Roses Small Batch and Eagle Rare.  Both are very nice but Eagle Rare (made at Buffalo Trace I believe) may be a new favorite.  Still love Woodford, Makers, Willetts as well.

Edit:  Someone had recommended Rock Hill Farms.  That is really nice as well.

Edited by CousinRicky

Sounds like something I would love to do.  I have become a bourbon drinker myself the last few years.  Coincidence?

Shadow, went to your profile page and couldn't see where I could send you a PM.  See if you can get that set up and then send one to me.

I don't believe that will be possible.  You can send me an email using my name from AIM @aol.com.

Since I don't know what AIM is we need to find another way.  I have a hotmail account that I use for online purchases.  Don't check it much  but send me an email to rich__t (that is rich with 2 underscores and a t). Let me know on here once you send it so I can check it.